Are KEF LS 50s Limited Edition?

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I want to buy the KEF LS 50s, but I don't have a system (source, amp) yet, would take me a while to compile one... Am looking at the NaimUniti 2 or the Unitilite, because I'm a huge fan of that! Especially because it sounds remarkable for the fact its just a single box with componenets that actually make up seperates!

Anyway,

I asked the dealer about how many in stock they have... And how long I could wait... He said they're "Limited Edition" and he doesn't know if they're going to be available for a long time, he as it is is short of the supply...

Now I know its the Anniversary Edition, but no where do I see KEF mentioning that it's Limited Edition...

Anyone know if it is?

Thanks,

Hone

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks David!

Just got it clarified from KEF as well....

Tell me, in your experience... are they power hungry? Because I'm thinking of going in for the Naim UnitiQute with the UnitiServe, because I want the ripping functionality...

I was just going for the Lite, well, because of the extra wattage and the CD player... Which I've heard and I feel is definitely better than the UnitiServe and UnitiQute put together...

So should I swing the Qute way?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They do like a bit of power. For easy listening and background music, the Qute would be fine, but if you like to turn them up every now and again, the UnitiLite would definitely be my recommendation. If you want something of an easier load, try the R100 or R300, particularly if you like bass. If you just want clarity that is more akin to listening to headphones (but with a soundstage), the LS50's would win every time for me.

If it was my money, I'd buy the NAC-N172XS with a NAP155XS with an AVA Rip-n-Play. Same facilities, better power output, and as a result, better sounding LS50's :)

mcjwalters

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Hone,

Going off on a slight tangent, KEF are offering £50 voucher to spend on-line in their store if you sign up for their newsletter. As not in the market for these speakers not sure how competitive their price is to begin with.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I do usually play my music on the 10pm position of the volume on my Nait 5i, which run the KEF Q500s, beautifully and effortlessly I would say. Even for transient classical stuff. I really admire the R100s, actually even more than the R300s, I think the R100s are incredible, the detail, the smoothness impresses me, I didnt find the soundstage produced by the R300s to be significantly impressive. Obviously, the LS 50s are better, I would think...

How would the Uniti2 be? 70Wpc, much more power, but I'm a little skeptical about the KEFs being good enough for the Uniti2. Because in my experience, sometimes the speaker can't deal with a lot of power and refinement put into it, because of its own sonic limitations... I haven't tried this combination (LS50 and Uniti2), so I dont know...

Also, the Nait 155XS and the 172XS preamp was actually my first choice... But its going out of my budget... Unfortunately!

The other speakers I thought of... were the Dynaudios Focus 160, PMC Db1s, ProAc Studio 110.... But so far I feel like I've frozen on the LS50s...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks! That was good to know...

Unfortunately in New Zealand there isn't a KEF online store...

I'll have to buy it from the only retailer, who has only two in stock... so I have to decide quickly!

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The KEF LS50's are recent, but not a limited edition; rather a 50th anniversary edition for the market - they are unlikely to go out of production any time soon! With such almost universally top reviews, why would they not be happy to sell many over a long time? And at the end of their run I bet there will be an even better model. So buy them when you are ready. I have a set - and they are every bit as wonderful as all the reviews - the detail, transparency and sumptuousness are breath-taking - and I only have an economy 35w amp - they will love better equipment. Don't expect world-shattering bass! - they really are small. Precision, beauty, honesty, unforgiving - yes.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure many retailers would match KEF's £50 offer :)

I see the LS50 as just as much a statement product as the Blade - showing off what can be done when something is engineered and designed properly. I don't think they'll discontinue it until they can do better for the money. That'll be a long time!

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply antskip :)

No, I don't expect World shattering bass... But I do like smooth, well rounded and a sense of forwardness in the lows. I really like atmosphere that bass creates when its done just right! The right amount of power in the right kind of speaker. One of the things I care most about is getting my bass and mid-range right... I don't like it when the bass has a pretty profound effect on the mid-range and the vocals... Thats why, of whatever I've read and as you said as well- the precision, and honesty (Im assuming you mean transparency) of the LS 50s I think will be just right...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The comparison with the Blade is the reason I'm seriously thinking about the LS50s... And the way they have advertised it is apt for a person like me... Studio sound for the home... Thats exactly what I've been looking for...

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
hone-u2: Yes, I think you will be pleased if you get them. They are magical things. Yes, I meant "transparent". I have been listening to the B&W DM601 this past 15 happy years of listening, but the LS is one whole new world. The DM601, in comparison to the LS50, is melancholic, soft, muddy, tolerant, easy-going. Oh, by the way, thank you for mentioning the Naim "Unitilite" - they do look interesting. One thing the LS50 does is makes one take a good look at how to improve the other equipment...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
antskip said:
hone-u2: Yes, I think you will be pleased if you get them. They are magical things. Yes, I meant "transparent". I have been listening to the B&W DM601 this past 15 happy years of listening, but the LS is one whole new world. The DM601, in comparison to the LS50, is melancholic, soft, muddy, tolerant, easy-going. Oh, by the way, thank you for mentioning the Naim "Unitilite" - they do look interesting. One thing the LS50 does is makes one take a good look at how to improve the other equipment...

Hey... you know what... I've been aginst the idea of one box designs all my life... They were never as good as theor separate counter parts... But I think naim has created something very special with the Uniti. I heard the SuperUniti with PMCs (Can't remember which ones) But I was surprised to find the consistency and solidity of something close to Naim's classic series power amps (NAP 200, 250). It was beautifully refined!

I don't doubt Naim when it says this is the Future of Hifi...

Give it a listen! And I'd love to know (If you'd like to share) what you think... because I'm going through the same process right now...

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am steering towards the Rega Brio-R and matching Rega Apollo-R. I would prefer to go to the Cyrus 8 et all, but too expensive. Also considering the Music Hall A15.2 and CD 15.2 combo - or the Music Hall Trio (all-in-one), but would have to be bought un-heard; and no effective warranty in Australasia. The Naim all-in-one is intriguing, but the Rega pair will be cheaper, and I don't need many of the Naim all-in-one features.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts