Arcam to Monitor Audio Speaker Cable Recommendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm running an Arcam AVR300 amp to Monitor Audio RS5 Silver floorstanding speakers. Currently I'm using Audio Innovations ULTRA Biwire from Richer Sounds (4.99 / metre). I'm using the AVR300 in bi-amp mode (utilising 2 spare channels to bi-amp as per the amp manual's recommendations). I'm considering a speaker cable upgrade and am looking for recommendations from knowledgeable enthusiasts.

Currently the sound can sometimes sound a little harsh. Something that retains the openness of the sound but adds a bit of bass and mid would be welcome.

So what would a worthwhile upgrade be and will I be able to hear the difference?

Thanks in advance for tips and advice.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Richer Sounds don't offer great value with it's speaker cable range (it's where they bridge the gap on selling kit at good prices). I've just bought some Chord Rumour 2 from a dealer on ebay - excellent value at around £9 per m.

A

Anonymous

Its scary how much bi-wiring costs when you need 2 x 5m bi-wire cables!

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"]I know I am in a minority here...[/quote]

No you're not, you have stated a position based on experience, as opposed to what you think "ought" to be the case
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

So how can What Hi-fi give some speaker cables 1 star and other 5 stars? Surely they have carried out objective testing of cables on a test system and rated accordingly?

Or is it more complex than that? Can it be that some cables work better with some amp / speaker combos than others?

If anyone has specific experience of cables that work well with Arcam amps to Monitor Audio speakers I'd be really interested. Or even ones to avoid!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I use QED Silver Anniversary biwire and i have absolutely no complaints what so ever.

My system is Arcam and M/A!

I think the slight forwardness of M/A speakers/treble is smoothed out by Arcam amps and the QED biwire finishes it off!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I use QED Silver Anniversary biwire and i have absolutely no complaints what so ever.
My system is Arcam and M/A!
I think the slight forwardness of M/A speakers/treble is smoothed out by Arcam amps and the QED biwire finishes it off!

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Spot on. Did you try any other speaker wire for comparison?

Cheers.

Jef.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
A couple and i cant remember the names sorry!

Ebay is your best bet for QED cable. Always good prices. I got 2 x4m of QED Silv Anni. biwire for £40 plus delivery!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]A couple and i cant remember the names sorry!
Ebay is your best bet for QED cable. Always good prices. I got 2 x4m of QED Silv Anni. biwire for £40 plus delivery!

[/quote]

Thanks. I've just been looking on ebay.

Anyone got any pros or cons for banana plugs vs no terminations? I notice QED do the QED Airloc banana plugs. Do these give a better termination than just clamping the cables at amp and speaker end?

A

Anonymous

I had an arcam amp and mon audio S1's ( now changed for Rs1's) which have the same drivers as your S5's and a similar sound. Don't get chord rumour or qed silver anniversary.Both will emphasise the top end and are a touch lightweight in the bass too ( qed moreso than rumour).If your system is already a bit harsh at times those two will accentuate it.In fact i am really rather surprised that people would recommend them as they are probably the last 2 cables to consider if you have that problem. DNM reson mark 2 will help (as much as a change of cable can) in that it lends a weightier richer sound than the rumour and the qed and has a smoother treble. It is a fairly neutral sounding cable and is noticeably better than the qed in pretty much every respect.I had a similar problem as yourself.Thats why i bought the dnm and ditched my qed anniversary.

A

Anonymous

Hi Fraziel

I've read good things about the DNM cable. Doesn't seem to come in bi-wire though, so I guess I'd need twice as much. Its mostly all hidden under the floor anyhow. More bass and mid with less harsh treble is definitely what I'm seeking. I don't want to lose the airyness of the sound or degrade any cymbals though. I do like the highs, just not the harshness.

Thanks.

Jef.

A

Anonymous

Anyone tried the QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-wire?

This is an entirely different construction to the Silver Anniversary - the XT being X-Tube construction rather than multi-stranded twisted conductor.

I've just read a really interesting technical snippet on the DNM site with reference to their new stereo solid core (bi-wire). With reference to large diameter multi-core cables: "This magnetic mess reduces midband clarity and often creates a bright treble and indistinct bass."

This would back-up Fraziels findings and also suggest that the QED XT range would exhibit similar properties to the DNM cable. There's a technical bit on QEDs site too about the XT cable construction.

The QED XT Bi-wire is £9/m whereas the DNM Stereo is £18/m.

I'd be really interested in comparisons of these two cables - I could save money!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought about MA's own speaker cable "Pureflow" ?

I have some on order myself. If it's nowt special it's not a big loss, as it's not terribly expensive. It's around the same price as QED SA, and seems very similar in construction.

I've noticed many people use it with far pricier systems than I, and indeed I've spoken to a few folk who use it with Platinum series speakers, pretty sure there's some folk on here who do.

I also have an Arcam (A85) and MA (RS6) set-up.

If Pureflow doesn't make much difference, I'm having one more dabble in speaker cables with Ecosse ES or MS, and if still no difference I'll give up and start believing the "snake oil" preachers
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jeflofts"]
Hi Fraziel

I've read good things about the DNM cable. Doesn't seem to come in bi-wire though, so I guess I'd need twice as much. Its mostly all hidden under the floor anyhow. More bass and mid with less harsh treble is definitely what I'm seeking. I don't want to lose the airyness of the sound or degrade any cymbals though. I do like the highs, just not the harshness.

Thanks.

Jef.

[/quote]

It will improve all the areas you mention.Of course a cable change can only do so much, but it will help. I mention it in particular as its now £6.15 p/m online which is the same ballpark as the qed. It is an excellent cable and probably the best cable, sound per pound wise, that i have heard.

A

Anonymous

I've just been reading the Arcam forums over at another site and have reached the incredibly long discussion of CAT5 DIY speaker cables. The theory seems to be the same as the DNM cables, i.e. small solid conductors being better than lots of tiny multi strands. Most say treble is clear and open, not harsh, and that bass is improved.

Also there are lots of people over there that say they've tried the QED Silver Anniversary on Arcam amps and removed it sharpish stating its way too bright and thin sounding.

Apparently the QED XT stuff is better but I've yet to find a side by side comparison of QED XT vs DNM.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
As I stated in an earlier post I use QED SA XT to biamp and have used this on Linn Index LS120s, Dali Ikon 6 and ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures and I haven't found the treble to be too bright on any of these variations. I listen for hours on end and I've never ever had to switch it off becuase it's too bright.

Having said that, I don't know whether biamping has a positive effect on this - I use 4 lengths of 4m terminated with airlocks - at a cost of £170 if I remember rightly so it's not that cheap when biamping.

And all my kit is Arcam.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]As I stated in an earlier post I use QED SA XT to biamp and have used this on Linn Index LS120s, Dali Ikon 6 and ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures and I haven't found the treble to be too bright on any of these variations. I listen for hours on end and I've never ever had to switch it off becuase it's too bright. Having said that, I don't know whether biamping has a positive effect on this - I use 4 lengths of 4m terminated with airlocks - at a cost of £170 if I remember rightly so it's not that cheap when biamping.

And all my kit is Arcam.
[/quote]

does the SA xt sound different to original SA? I am sure on some systems its good, or it would not be so well reviewed, but that slightly lightweight bass and tendency towards a top end balance on the original SA does not suit the budget Arcam amps with monitor audio.There was a marked difference when i switched to dnm, in terms of extra weight and a more toned down treble.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard the original SA so I can't comment, and I'm not so well versed on MA either unfortunately. I have heard they are bright though.

A

Anonymous

Update: I've built myself a pair of CAT5 based speaker cables using the information found here : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html and they sound fantastic! There was a lot of chat about them on the Arcam forums and since I had a reel of CAT5 lying around I thought "what have I got to lose"?

The end result: definitely a reduction in harshness with no loss of airyness or space and a definite improvement in bass. I'm very pleased with the result of a couple of hours of cable making and, for now at least, have entirely satisfied my lust for new cables. I may have even saved myself close on 200 quid!

For anyone interested have a look at the link. There are other cables to build and a discussion on The Naked Truth about Speaker Cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts