Arcam to Audiolab questions

Goldalene

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. I've been using an Arcam A80 amp with a matching CD72 and the Arcam rDac, feeding into some B&Ws and Sennheiser headphones (both as old). Both sources get heavy use. I've been thinking of upgrading, but would have do to so over time rather than in one go. The Audiolab CD8200CDQ is getting some deep discounts these days, and I'm tempted to start there as an upgrade to both the CD and the rDac. Unfortunately, I can't travel very far and can't audition, so I have some questions.

I looked into Cyrus, but people said they were much brighter compared to the Arcam sound, which I've enjoyed over the years. Is the Audiolab a neutral upgrade, or will I be running into something far more in my face?

Probably silly to ask, but I assume the CDQ will be a noticeable upgrade to the cheaper sources?

Can I use the Audiolab with the Arcam A80 for a while? No major clashes? The dream would be two second hand 8000Ms (which I could wait for while using the A80), but would an Audiolab 8200P Stereo Power Amplifier be enough of an upgrade over the A80 to do so instead of hunting for the monoblocs? (Speakers to follow in a while...)

I listen to all sorts of music, but lots of indie and a fair bit of classical.

Thanks all.

Goldalene

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
And an extra question, sorry. Is there much aural difference between the 8200CDQ's LED and OLED model? The visual doesn't worry me, but I've seen people say the sound quality is changed too.

Okay. From the Audiolab amps I've heard they tend to be a little clinical, so using the CDQ as a preamp maybe noticeable. Also, having heard the A80 it wasn't Arcams finest hour IMHO. If you're looking to add boxes I would be looking at adding a P80 or P85 power amp. However, the route I would go is by buying either a A85 or a s/hand Creek Evo2 (this has similar tonal qualities to Arcam DIVA range) and finding a Arcam FMJ CD17, which'll work well with either Arcam amp and Creek.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Goldalene,

Arcam and Audiolab should work well together. I found the audiolab CDQ to add sharpness, clarity and generallly bite and excitement to my system after replacing the Marantz UD5007 for CD duty. Plus a huge improvement in bass (quality & quantity). I wouldn't say it is clinical or overly bright, pretty neutral. Noticed benefits with more complex and heavily layered recordings straight away, stuff that had always sounded a bit of a mess where layers congealed suddenly made a ot more sense. It can certainly retrieve a lot of detail. Some years back when I had time on my hands I produced my own music, and through the audiolab i was able to hear stuff deep in the mix I'd forgotton was there!

I think you have a decent amp there and probably get better results changing the source and speakers first. The CDQ is a good starting point as it offers a lot of flexibility for future upgrades. Even if you retain the A80 for a while yet you can disable the pre-amp and use it as a standard DAC/CD player. I can't say whether you'll notice a big difference in the DAC over the rDAC; I can't hear a great deal of difference from my Marantz NA7004, although the digital filters do make subtle differences. After several months I'm still not sure of my favourite - it depends on what's playing (although there are 2 or 3 that I avoid all together). I still flick between digital & analogue pre-amp settings too, again results vary depending on the source.

I was just looking for a better CD player and was considering the 8200CD until I saw a mint ex-display CDQ for £650. I'm still so satisfied with the pre-amp in this unit I haven't even bothered to try disabling it and using it as a straight up cd player; my pearl lite has just been a power amp since I got the audiolab. I'll upgrade to a dedicated power amp or monoblocs at some point. The Pearl lite does a good job but I think i'd get better performance at lower volume levels with more power, and the RS6's should respond well to the extra grunt too. Only concern is that audiolab pre & power with the MA RS6 may be too bright without the marantz in the equation, currently i like the balance. That's why I'm more inclined towards the Marantz MM7025; It offers XLR inputs and more power than the 8200p for around the same price. Just can't find any reviews on it anywhere.

I do find it odd that Audiolab haven't put XLR inputs on the 8200p or 8200m's considering almost all their various sources/preamps have XLR outputs.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I didn't notice a great deal of difference between in sound quality between the two versions, although I couldn't do a back to back comparison. I was actually sent the original version first by mistake but it was then replaced by the OLED version. The OLED display is a massive improvement though - i could barely read the display on the LED version from my sofa 6ft away

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can't help on Audiolab unfortunately, but having had lots of Arcams over the years I concur that the Cyrus sound is not to my taste.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
I can't help on Audiolab unfortunately, but having had lots of Arcams over the years I concur that the Cyrus sound is not to my taste.

In my experience Cyrus and Audiolab have a lot in common. Clinical and analytical with little warmth. Completely at odds with Arcam.

Really try and listen before you buy anything. A look at the differing opinions on SQ on this forum should push you towards an audition. It's all so subjective!

Gazzip said:
JoelSim said:

In my experience Cyrus and Audiolab have a lot in common. Clinical and analytical with little warmth. Completely at odds with Arcam.

Really try and listen before you buy anything. A look at the differing opinions on SQ on this forum should push you towards an audition. It's all so subjective!

Which chimes with my experience.

T

the record spot

If the Arcam player is still in good shape, why not keep that and instead buy a DAC? The Teac UD501 is £600 and also gives you DSD functionality too.

TRENDING THREADS