Arcam Solo - What speakers are you running (floorstanding preferably)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of reducing my 2nd system to a one-box system and fancy going for the Arcam Solo

I would also like to change speakers to floorstanding as the wife isnt so keen on the size of the M/A RX2's I've got currently and she thinks the Partington stands are ugly
smiley-frown.gif

I'm tempted by the Monitor Audio BX5's or possible some 2nd hand RS6's but would like to keep cost down as the system doesnt get used loud much (i.e. it's on during the day when I'm working etc... as it's upstairs).

Does anyone run the M/A BX5's or the RS6's, or even the BR5's at that rate with the Arcam Solo? If so what's your opinion?

Also any other suggestions for floorstanding speakers?

Cheers
smiley-cool.gif

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm probably going to sound stupid but...

I used to have an Arcam system based around the (still lovely) A65+ integrated amp. My understanding is that the electronics in this is the basis of the Arcam Solo. If so, be very careful trying to drive floorstanders; the A65+ was lovely driving B&W DM303s (still love them) but didn't have the grunt for the (hanging head in shame that I tried it...) B&W 683s. The bass was "flabby" and not at all tight. I don't know if you can get sensitive enough floorstanders that would be OK with the Solo...

Just my 2 cents.

A

Anonymous

Well I've heard both the Arcam Solo and the Solo Mini (all be it not with the M/A RS6's) with the M/A BR5's and the RS6's and it sounded a very good match indeed

I've had the Arcam A65+ amp in the past the Arcam Solo sounds hell of a lot better than that amp; one of the worst Arcam have ever made IMO. Shallow and loose soundstage with no grip or bite whatsoever.

I'm leaning towards the Arcam Solo and the M/A BX5's but I'm open to other suggestions.

The Arcam Solo Mini also appeals to me due to it's size and USB input facility but I know it'll not be up to driving floorstanders as well as it's biger brother etc...

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you're right using the solo with bx5, good sensitivity and load caracteristics so should drive them well.

The solo is a bit underpowered as you said.

Maybe consider the br5 as some are still around for £300 mark.

A

Anonymous

Yeah the BR5's would be an option if I could find any in black...

Any other suggestions?

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps have a listen to the focal chorus 714 should work well with the Arcam solo. If you like the french styling.

sorry I meant the solo mini was a bit underpowered from previous post.

A

Anonymous

Not keen on Focal; looks or sound

Heard them a few times now and they're not for me... Lack in some areas and offer too much in others. Not a well-rounded sound IMO

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
....I've had the Arcam A65+ amp in the past the Arcam Solo sounds hell of a lot better than that amp; one of the worst Arcam have ever made IMO. Shallow and loose soundstage with no grip or bite whatsoever.

Ouch! Certainly the A65+ was not what I would call the most detailed of amps but I did like the sound into the little B&Ws... its not as if I dont like detail and "bite" - with a Cyrus and Audiovector system (see sig), there is "bite" aplenty...

Have fun on your search...

TRENDING THREADS