Arcam Solo Mini - opinions

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Had intended to get myself sorted with a combination of NAD C325BEE/C525 Amp/CD Combo and a set of B&W 685's this week but on browsing the net I like the potential appeal of a one box system, heving previously owned a Linn Classik.

I am pretty set on the 685's as my speaker of choice as long as the source and amp doesn't make a porridge of them but, as I have a relatively small room, I wondered how something like the Solo Mini would fare with them and would it have enough power to drive them?

I just do not have the time to demo them all for the next few weeks due to work commitments so would really value opinions on the NAD/B&W setup vs the Arcam/B&W set up.

As an aside what's the view of the Solo/Solo Mini vs the Classik?

Sorry so many questions - I just miss my music and it ain't the same on an ipod!!

Cheers

Paul

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam Solo Mini is good BUT it doesnt have the clout that the B&W's need to really sing.

The Arcam Solo DOES have the power for the B&W's but obviously its more pricey.

Both the Solo's have a great soundstage and they really suit B&W speakers but IMO the Solo Mini is an ideal system for the kitchen or maybe the bedroom.

The NAD seaprates are also a very good option and would stand you ion good stead for having a good system BUT it all depends on what space you have to play with and what music you listen to.

IMO; the Naim sound doesnt suit the B&W speakers so if youre thinking of Naim again, demo the B&W speakers.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that it's helpful. I have decided to go with the NAD Combo but have just had a set of Quad 12L2's recomended over the B&W's and the price is heavily discounted at the moment.

How do they compare to the B&W's? I listen to a lot of rock music and remember being blown away by a pair of 11L's years ago but not heard the 12L2's.

Cheers

Paul

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've only heard the Quads with Arcam separates and heard them against the B&W's and TBH, i wasnt wowed by the Quads.

At the end of the day its all down to personal taste and hearing so my advice would be to demo them before you buy.

To me; the B&W 685's are probably the best standmount speakers out there for £1k or under, but that is IMO and the suitability of them for my taste in music.

Regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:...but IMO the Solo Mini is an ideal system for the kitchen or maybe the bedroom.

Well sitting here listening to the Shamen's 'Boss Drum' (Beatmasters 12" mix) through my Rega R3's at full tilt in a 21ft x 13ft room I would really have to disagree with you emphatically!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts