Arcam FMJ CD37 has there been a review

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

I was just wondering has there been a review of the Arcam FMJ CD37, as I cant see anything about it in the review columns in what hifi sound and vision. If not, does anyone know if it will be reviewed and if so when.

Many Thanks in advance

Mark.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
An other publication reviewed the 37 and I think it was positive. I played around with the thing some time ago using it in different make systems and had a 17 for comparison too. Its certainly a good player but for a grand you would'nt expect a dog. Probably on par with cyrus'es 8se which we also used but it was'nt a back to back. What can I say, its a cdp and another take on the media. I did'nt think there was anything groundbreaking to it (same with the 8se) and neither was substantially better than a much cheaper denon player we had at hand. Make of it what you will.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:An other publication reviewed the 37 and I think it was positive. I played around with the thing some time ago using it in different make systems and had a 17 for comparison too. Its certainly a good player but for a grand you would'nt expect a dog. Probably on par with cyrus'es 8se which we also used but it was'nt a back to back. What can I say, its a cdp and another take on the media. I did'nt think there was anything groundbreaking to it (same with the 8se) and neither was substantially better than a much cheaper denon player we had at hand. Make of it what you will.

Which Denon please, and do you mean source is not that important?

Oh, and Mark, WHF has not reviewed he CD37 as yet.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:I did'nt think there was anything groundbreaking to it (same with the 8se) and neither was substantially better than a much cheaper denon player we had at hand. Make of it what you will.

I can kinda relate here, when i first got my Rega apollo i auditioned it along with the nait cd5i(new one) the entry level nad cdp and its matching amp, we used the nad combo as our reference as we knew this sound really well, our kind of benchmark as it were.

Out of the 3 cdps the Rega was slightly better than the nad.........but the nad was slightly better than the naim cd51?????? ,obviously the nad had the advantage of having its matching partner but better sounding thn the naim?? wierd!! , even the salesman had a look of shock on his face, i still bought the Rega but there wasnt that much init at all. Make of it what you will

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:drummerman:An other publication reviewed the 37 and I think it was positive. I played around with the thing some time ago using it in different make systems and had a 17 for comparison too. Its certainly a good player but for a grand you would'nt expect a dog. Probably on par with cyrus'es 8se which we also used but it was'nt a back to back. What can I say, its a cdp and another take on the media. I did'nt think there was anything groundbreaking to it (same with the 8se) and neither was substantially better than a much cheaper denon player we had at hand. Make of it what you will.

Which Denon please, and do you mean source is not that important?

Oh, and Mark, WHF has not reviewed he CD37 as yet.

Everything is important and makes a difference. Does'nt always mean its better or worth substantial extra cash. The player was perhaps 5 years old and part of a trade in together with a matching amplifier, a denon pma355uk. I'd have to enquire about which model cdp it was. The amp in some respects bettered the A28 and was more animated to listen to. The denon player which I assume would have cost similar to the amp ie. a quarter of the new arcam and cyrus products was everything but out played. I could go into detail why the two expensive players ultimately are better but I would confidentally say that any sane person, having listened to the products, would not have payed twenty times or so more for any of the new players and instead had sunk the cash into good speakers or amplification. Trying to put a figure on performance difference I would say both the cyrus and arcam 1k players were imo perhaps 10% 'better' than the denon. Subjective of course. I just remember us being very surprised. 6 experienced ears played part in this and while we all agreed its just an opinion and does'nt mean you do to.

It also does'nt mean that I think the new players are not worth the money. They are and if ultimate fidelity is the goal, will get you closer. It simply means the law of diminishing value is imo more prelevant in digital playback, especially with cd, than any other area of hifi.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That makes an interesting comparison ...

A s/h amplifier worth perhaps a hundred quid outperforming or at least equaling a £700+ amplifier. A player worth £50 pounds (?) coming worryingly close to some £1000+ products ...

Its not always like that of course but we are often talking obsessively about minutea of performance difference yet a huge gap in price.

Whilst I agree that more money can without doubt buy better sound I also think that people with less cash can get systems that need not fear more expensive stuff if chosen wisely. Sometimes you just have to go back in time to find them.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:An other publication reviewed the 37 and I think it was positive. I played around with the thing some time ago using it in different make systems and had a 17 for comparison too. Its certainly a good player but for a grand you would'nt expect a dog. Probably on par with cyrus'es 8se which we also used but it was'nt a back to back. What can I say, its a cdp and another take on the media. I did'nt think there was anything groundbreaking to it (same with the 8se) and neither was substantially better than a much cheaper denon player we had at hand. Make of it what you will.

I see the CD-bashing agenda is still in place, Drummerman.
emotion-20.gif

Back to the OP - we haven't yet reviewed the Arcam CD37, but it's on the test agenda. I'd urge you to go and listen to it, and the many new CD players around this price point - Cyrus CD8SE and Roksan Caspian M included - as well as the next step down (Rega Apollo, Cyrus CD6SE) and make up your own mind. Don't forget your favourite discs as testers.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for that, I know what you mean. I've had a Marantz CD63 KI Sig Mk2 for about 8 years now, and being a vinal person at heart, using the source "Origin Live Ultra, Parallel Tracking air bearing arm, Silver wiring, Music Maker Cartidge, Into Era Gold Phono Stage", I've always thought CD lacked the kind of excitement, sparkle and presence one gets from this kind of set-up. but as my CD collection was inevitably going to grow and so warranted a better CD Source. I was really surprised at in eight years, how well my Marantz stood up to the Arcam, and the CD8se. They did offer better performance, but the Marantz put a very convincing fight, as a result, Although I purchased the CD37 due to in my opinion, giving more authority, and more importantly that smile factor that just has you grinning from ear to ear. I felt the CD8se probably reviled a little more detail, but lacked the solid authoritative presence of the arcam, which you just had to admire. Things would probably be different with an added psx-r or two, but thats taking the player into a totally different price tag. Id rather spend the extra cash on new speakers, and maybe purchase some SACDs which the CD8se cant play.

A little fun that might pay off.

Incidentally, Im trying a little experiment with feet isolation at the moment, I've just purchased 8 Granite Coasters, from tesco at a measly cost of £8, and have just sandwiched them in pairs with silicone sealer, Piped a button of silicone in the centre on each Platform and pushed a drawing pin into the silicone and are waiting for them to set. Ill let you know how they sound.

Obviously got to much time on my hands, regards mark.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I see the CD-bashing agenda is still in place, Drummerman.
emotion-20.gif

Not at all if you read through my posting again. Your job is to promote and evaluate new product rather than delve in to old stuff. Mine was simply an example of a couple of sessions with old and new. I agree with you that the new cyrus (and arcam) players are certainly very good and so they should be with the companies respective knowledge and history of equally good products together with four figure price tags.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
mark cogley:
Many thanks for that, I know what you mean. I've had a Marantz CD63 KI Sig Mk2 for about 8 years now, and being a vinal person at heart, using the source "Origin Live Ultra, Parallel Tracking air bearing arm, Silver wiring, Music Maker Cartidge, Into Era Gold Phono Stage", I've always thought CD lacked the kind of excitement, sparkle and presence one gets from this kind of set-up. but as my CD collection was inevitably going to grow and so warranted a better CD Source. I was really surprised at in eight years, how well my Marantz stood up to the Arcam, and the CD8se. They did offer better performance, but the Marantz put a very convincing fight, as a result, Although I purchased the CD37 due to in my opinion, giving more authority, and more importantly that smile factor that just has you grinning from ear to ear. I felt the CD8se probably reviled a little more detail, but lacked the solid authoritative presence of the arcam, which you just had to admire. Things would probably be different with an added psx-r or two, but thats taking the player into a totally different price tag. Id rather spend the extra cash on new speakers, and maybe purchase some SACDs which the CD8se cant play.

A little fun that might pay off.

Incidentally, Im trying a little experiment with feet isolation at the moment, I've just purchased 8 Granite Coasters, from tesco at a measly cost of £8, and have just sandwiched them in pairs with silicone sealer, Piped a button of silicone in the centre on each Platform and pushed a drawing pin into the silicone and are waiting for them to set. Ill let you know how they sound.

Obviously got to much time on my hands, regards mark.

Cool mate. I would'nt really encourage choosing s/h players that are years old for obvious reasons unless someone is really cash strapped. Better new and safe. I just tried to make a point that some older stuff is by no means always history in terms of quality though new budget players have clearly made the most progress with a little trickle down and some far eastern manufacturing. Products made here have the disadvantage of higher labour cost, you pay the premium!

A

Anonymous

Clare, any chance of detailing when this will be published, or a snippet or test online before then please?

Thank you.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think there are many things to consider in this variable. Some CDs are quite forward, some are quite relaxed in comparison. This may only be a 5% difference. Of course after a few hours listening then that 5% becomes 10% as the player runs in. Much of listening to me is after a long session and still wanting desperately to put another CD on, even though it's 2am in the morning. That's what I get at home. Some systems would get too much.

I certainly noticed the difference when I upgraded from old Arcam 7 kit a while back. No it wasn't 50% difference but it was at least 10%, if not 20%. Law of diminishing returns is only natural - as the price of a player goes up, the less people buy it which then self perpetuates, and the upmarket player costs more per component...

Having said all this, when I go to mates' houses and they put on their midi/mini/iPod based systems, it's like listening to mine whilst having a duvet sellotaped to each ear.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I think there are many things to consider in this variable. Some CDs are quite forward, some are quite relaxed in comparison. This may only be a 5% difference. Of course after a few hours listening then that 5% becomes 10% as the player runs in. Much of listening to me is after a long session and still wanting desperately to put another CD on, even though it's 2am in the morning. That's what I get at home. Some systems would get too much.

I certainly noticed the difference when I upgraded from old Arcam 7 kit a while back. No it wasn't 50% difference but it was at least 10%, if not 20%. Law of diminishing returns is only natural - as the price of a player goes up, the less people buy it which then self perpetuates, and the upmarket player costs more per component...

Having said all this, when I go to mates' houses and they put on their midi/mini/iPod based systems, it's like listening to mine whilst having a duvet sellotaped to each ear.

ÿ

No wonder your hearing is perceptive - you must have huge ears to take those duvets
emotion-1.gif

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
"I would'nt really encourage choosing s/h players that are years old for obvious reasons unless someone is really cash strapped. Better new and safe".

Not sure I'd agree with you there ....some second hand CD players make excellent purchases (assuming they haven't been thrashed)
Some Marantz players from the late 80's were very solidly built ..my CD 85 se was bought for £150 off ebay in absolutely mint condition (boxed, remote, instructions etc.) It weighs an absolute ton and sounds very "analogue like" (in a good way!)

It's down to personal taste I guess but I've haven't heard a £150 modern player that comes close to it.

A

Anonymous

HFC has given the FMJ CD37 a rather good review - salvation for Arcam at last!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They must suffer in light of cyrus'es domination over the last few years at respective price points, especially in this publication, though I would'nt argue with the findings. I'm no expert but I would say they (Arcam) have some very hard times ahead unless they come up with some genuine innovative products or perhaps cut down the range and produce a 'super amp' or player at lower price points using all their expertise from their top products. The new FMJ amps with their 'trickle down technology' are nowhere close to what they have to offer to be competitive imo. If the new 38 was sold somewhere around the 18's price they probably would make a killing. In production cost that (38) amplifier is probably a few pounds more expensive to make than the 18, parts are cheap. That it is sold at over a grand must be solely down to accepted product hirarchy. As it is, all their amplifiers can easily be bettered by the competition. Cambridge Audio has pitched their 840 line considerably lower and on specs alone, are an easy match and probably more technically advanced.

I think Arcam has to wake up but it would be interesting to hear from the Co-founder which was on here recently.

May I add that I think their more expensive players are good (and expensive) and I have little knowledge of their AV/Video products. I hope they will do well in the future.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
It is a diverse world for Arcams separates in both CD and Amplifiers up to £1500.

WHF in general really dont make a song and dance about them in their reviews while HiFi Choice rate them much more highly - in fact after reviewing both the new Cyrus 8SE CD and the Arcam CD37 last month they chose to highlight the Arcam in their next issue as one of the top buys and not the Cyrus. So it does depend what you read as to what view you get and maybe what musical preference you have for the testing.

Clearly i am an owner of the CD36 and A32 but i bought both mine for under £700 new - i have tried numerous other makes at under £1000 and have not found anything any where near as good at that price level. That said the current FMJ's CD37 & A38 retail over the £1200 price bracket and then i guess the comparison point jumps up to Primare / Naim and others that give it a real tough competition.

I guess therefore i agree with drummerman in that their mid range FMJ CD37 & A38 would be fantastic value at the budget price level of under £1000.

In general though all their CD players seem to stack up really well from their now expired Diva range right through to FMJ but their amplifiers are subject to more criticism.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fair point and as I mentioned before, I really would like to like Arcam products. At over a thousand pounds there's a lot of competition but even below that are a number of products (amplifiers) that imo are just to strong for even the 38. I have nothing bad to say about the players other than that they again seem expensive but Arcam is not the only one there.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I would love to be in a position to demo the 1500 Primare separates with a view to buying but by family budget just wouldnt stretch much above £2k for Cd/Amp/Speakers so i bought the best i could find for the price.

I think i did well for £700 an item - but eventually budget will ultimately dictate what direction you are take.

When my time in banking is over (may be sooner than i think in current climates) i will try and get a job in hi-fi retail i think.

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:I would love to be in a position to demo the 1500 Primare separates with a view to buying but by family budget just wouldnt stretch much above £2k for Cd/Amp/Speakers so i bought the best i could find for the price.

I think i did well for £700 an item - but eventually budget will ultimately dictate what direction you are take.

When my time in banking is over (may be sooner than i think in current climates) i will try and get a job in hi-fi retail i think.

I got my CD192 for £335 BNIB - would still love to do an A/B on the CD17/CD36/CD37 though.......

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's all so subjective. Given we are talking a lot of money I'm not particularly enthused by the sound of Cyrus or MF amongst others, I find them a bit lacking...and yet a bit overbearing in some ways. I think it's just a case of what you're used to and what turns you on (ahem). I've always got on well with the detail retrieval and the fact that my system gets better and better through the evening/night and 99 times out of 100 I find I get to the point that I know I have to switch it off as I have a busy day at work the next day. To me that's more important than a 20 minute test listen. There are so many things to consider when choosing a system that will suit. But that's just me, others may want a Naim, forward sounding, great timing etc and I would dearly love to have the opportunity to spend some decent time with something like this. Even my CD192 I felt was a tad harsh at first after being used to a CD92 which quite hinestly was very warm and mellow. Now I'm used to it and actually really enjoying it. Who knows one day I may get myself an MF system that works for me. Only time will tell.

From my limited experience in the scheme of things, even though I've been intertested in hifi for nigh on 20 years, HFC do tend to rate Arcam more highly than WHF. Perhaps this is to do with the market sector the magazines are targeted towards, the type of kit that is reviewed regaularly and what each reviewer is attuned to, there is no right or wrong answer. As an example I'm listening to Erick Morillo subliminal sessions at the moment and if I took notice of the anti-Arcam brigade I'd be listening to it wearing a pair of slippers and smoking a pipe.

Actually I am wearing a pair of slippers. Hmmm, S**t.

ÿ

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh!

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
It's all so subjective. Given we are talking a lot of money I'm not particularly enthused by the sound of Cyrus or MF amongst others, I find them a bit lacking...and yet a bit overbearing in some ways. I think it's just a case of what you're used to and what turns you on (ahem). I've always got on well with the detail retrieval and the fact that my system gets better and better through the evening/night and 99 times out of 100 I find I get to the point that I know I have to switch it off as I have a busy day at work the next day. To me that's more important than a 20 minute test listen. There are so many things to consider when choosing a system that will suit. But that's just me, others may want a Naim, forward sounding, great timing etc and I would dearly love to have the opportunity to spend some decent time with something like this. Even my CD192 I felt was a tad harsh at first after being used to a CD92 which quite hinestly was very warm and mellow. Now I'm used to it and actually really enjoying it. Who knows one day I may get myself an MF system that works for me. Only time will tell.

From my limited experience in the scheme of things, even though I've been intertested in hifi for nigh on 20 years, HFC do tend to rate Arcam more highly than WHF. Perhaps this is to do with the market sector the magazines are targeted towards, the type of kit that is reviewed regaularly and what each reviewer is attuned to, there is no right or wrong answer. As an example I'm listening to Erick Morillo subliminal sessions at the moment and if I took notice of the anti-Arcam brigade I'd be listening to it wearing a pair of slippers and smoking a pipe.

Actually I am wearing a pair of slippers. Hmmm, S**t.

ÿ

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh!

ÿ

ÿ

Borrow my pipe? It's a bong mind.........
emotion-5.gif
Just joking !!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts