Arcam FMJ A38

A

Anonymous

Must be in a WHFS&V sometime soon...Arcam need to bring out a new FMJ CD player, new FMJ monoblocks and a new FMJ tuner though if they want to keep up with the market (and my wallet).

Just thought I would add I love my A32 (but it needs turning up to get some thump) and the only thing I would change on it would be quicker and more powerful transients (so hopefully this is where the A38 improves)!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Our review of the A38 will be in the July issue.

Try not to look for any logic in the fact that the July issue is on sale during the last week of May.

A

Anonymous

Or how about the logic that in Canada we won't receive it until sometime in October!?

We're still waiting for your April issue here (quite a joke really)!!!

A

Anonymous

Sorry Simon...the "quite a joke really" wasn't directed at WHF...just the process of getting British mags in Canada. Not sure why it always takes so damn long! Sorry for venting my frustration in this thread!

A

Anonymous

Any hints on your review, Simon?

I've had a listen and think it's quite a departure from the "normal" Arcam sound. It's a lot more detailed and up front with a lot more control over the base

A

Anonymous

Short story long the A38 is amazing. It's quite a different pre-amp stage to the previous Arcam Hi-Fi amps, and the 100wpc power amps certainly live up to their promise. Using the quite funky PRE/PWR switch on the rear (which physically disconnects op-amp from power amp) I ran the A32 as a pre-amp only into our P7 and compared against the AV9. The sound was quite different (for the better) and not like I am used to hearing with say a C31 (which is also better than the AV9 as a pure hi-fi pre but not quite so open and forward as the A38 detail). I wish now I had picked up a P38 to go with it because our GB1i's really love to suck up 2 x 175w per speaker from the P7, going back to 1x100w per speaker was a little depressing but I wouldn't say it felt underpowered as is the experience of the A32 owner above.

In response to the previous posters comments on a new fmj range, there is now the A28 and A38 integrated amps, and CD17 and CD37 CD players. I have the CD37 which is both CD and 2ch SACD, and quite a cracker too. VERY spacious soundstage, quick timing and detail. Worth going to your local dealer for a demo for sure. New DAB tuner on the way too

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Story on the new Arcam range here.

Our independent reviews to follow shortly
emotion-2.gif

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Simon Lucas"]Our review of the A38 will be in the July issue.

Try not to look for any logic in the fact that the July issue is on sale during the last week of May.[/quote]..........is that because the mag is on a 13 issues a yr cycle...........?

A

Anonymous

Looks like Arcam and some Japanese firm are getting more SACD friendly. This could be very good news.jules.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="timwileman"][quote user="Simon Lucas"]Our review of the A38 will be in the July issue.

Try not to look for any logic in the fact that the July issue is on sale during the last week of May.[/quote]..........is that because the mag is on a 13 issues a yr cycle...........?[/quote]

Yep - all goes a bit crazy from here-on in!

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="timwileman"][quote user="Simon Lucas"]Our review of the A38 will be in the July issue.

Try not to look for any logic in the fact that the July issue is on sale during the last week of May.[/quote]..........is that because the mag is on a 13 issues a yr cycle...........?[/quote]

Yep - all goes a bit crazy from here-on in!
[/quote].............july issue in may.........its like having a TARDIS :)........or being really old and not knowing what day/month/year it is :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"](gulp) Are we going to have to stop our Arcam-baiting?!?!
emotion-8.gif
[/quote]

Fear not. After 30 or so years of making lullaby machines I think its safe to assume they'll carry on with the theme ...

Shame. I actually want to like them for looks and features. The biggest problem is that I fall into a hifi induced coma as soon as I come close to one ...
emotion-20.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts