Arcam FMJ A38 vs Musical Fidelity A5

A

Anonymous

Thats not a very good question really sorry... There's too many factors that could decide yay or nay on the amps

Both are brilliant amps and will suit a range of speakers and CDP's alike

It would be handy to know what your speakers are/may be; what CDP or source you're intending on using and also what music you generally listen to?

Dependent upon that information you may get some more concise answers

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
thank you for that pointer:

Music: a bit hard to put numbers on but something like this:

40% = motown/stax, ray charles, marvin gaye, temptations, sam cooke, 50-57s funk soul rnb

25% hiphop, pop new RnB

20% jazz

15%: classical

speakers still in the running, amongst others, are: Proac Studio 140 MK2, Response D18, Dynaudio Excite 32/36, Dm 3/7, PNC Fb1/Ob1

source: Macbook Pro >AE, at a later date Mac Mini + a proper DAC

A

Anonymous

Well to be honest; with your taste in music and the speakers that are in your line up; both amps will work very well

I know that's probably not what you want to hear but they will so really only YOU can make the decision by demo'ing etc...

Personally I'd go down the Arcam route as it's soundstage will suit your music best IMO. It'd do VERY well with the PMC and Dynaudio speakers as well

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I know it's really boring when people recommend whatever they've got, but I'm going to do it anyway. With the speakers that you've got in the running and given that you're intending to buy a better DAC later anyway, try the Naim SuperNait. If you like it you might have to save up for a bit longer, but I reckon you'll find the presentation to be much more engaging than either the Arcam or MF. Or maybe you'll find it a bit OTT - that will depend on your tastes, but defo worth a go I reckon if there's any conceivable way you Amp+DAC budget could stretch to £2600 ish.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
From my experience, the most important thing you should do - right from the start - is to use a DAC between the Airport Express and the amp. The improvement in sound quality over analogue is dramatic. I am very happy with my V-Dac - maybe not in the same class as the Rega or even Arcam - but good enough and a great deal cheaper.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
I know it's really boring when people recommend whatever they've got, but I'm going to do it anyway. With the speakers that you've got in the running and given that you're intending to buy a better DAC later anyway, try the Naim SuperNait. If you like it you might have to save up for a bit longer, but I reckon you'll find the presentation to be much more engaging than either the Arcam or MF. Or maybe you'll find it a bit OTT - that will depend on your tastes, but defo worth a go I reckon if there's any conceivable way you Amp+DAC budget could stretch to £2600 ish.

that is an interesting recommendation. I have heard the Naim Nait XS and really liked it. But they keep their prices extremely well, haven't seen one for less than £1k I think. Would be interesting to find out how well the Supernait onboard DAC fares against the sub £500 DAC market (rDac, MF M1, and Rega DAC).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree that either could suit the speakers that you're considering.

Having said that, I was never that keen on the A5 and A3 models in the MF range. They produced a big soundstage, and big bass, but that was the extent of their abilities. I found they lacked bass control, and didn't really 'do anything', if you know what I mean - there wasn't anything to make me want to continue listening to them. This was with a number of speakers, including ProAc.

But some people love the A series, and it works for them.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
Dan Turner said:

that is an interesting recommendation. I have heard the Naim Nait XS and really liked it. But they keep their prices extremely well, haven't seen one for less than £1k I think. Would be interesting to find out how well the Supernait onboard DAC fares against the sub £500 DAC market (rDac, MF M1, and Rega DAC).

I have not had the chance to compare the DAC section without the rest of it, but my DAC/amp path before I got it was Cambridge DAC-magic/Arcam FMJ A32 + P35, then DAC-Magic/Creek OBH-12 pre + Arcam P35 + P38, and when I upgraded from that to the SuperNait, it was a dramatic improvement in every regard (this was going in to PMC TB2+s at the time).

Edit - no USB on the SuperNait though if that's important...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
Help me decide! Arc am FMJ A38 vs MF A5 Speakers: unknown And they cost the same. Which one would you choose, and why?

Musical Fidelity all day over Arcam in that shoot out.

More current and watts delivery, able to drive most speakers with consummate ease, for me that equals longevity of equipment on a personnel front, no need to change amp in the forceable.

SACD input if required.

smiley-cool.gif

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
shooter69 said:
SACD input if required.

smiley-cool.gif

That must be a real sales point, just in case you have a separate CD player and SACD player and you couldn't bear the thought of running the SACD in through an AUX input

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Got the Arcam in the end. £600 for a 2 year old in mint condition. Seemed like an offer I couldn't turn down, and £200 cheaper than the five year old MF.

A

Anonymous

Helmut80 said:
Got the Arcam in the end. £600 for a 2 year old in mint condition. Seemed like an offer I couldn't turn down, and £200 cheaper than the five year old MF.

Very nice
smiley-cool.gif

Let us know how you get on with the rest of the system. The Arcam's a superb amp
smiley-wink.gif

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
shooter69 said:
SACD input if required.

smiley-cool.gif

That must be a real sales point, just in case you have a separate CD player and SACD player and you couldn't bear the thought of running the SACD in through an AUX input

From what I remember from way back when, the signal path on mf was different on the sacd input over the standard cd input. No idea what was different though.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
just unpacked it, it looks absolutely fantastic! Cannot wait to use it now.

Does anybody know if Arcam extended warranty can be transferred?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts