Arcam FMJ A32 amp owners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the A32 amp and am very pleased with the sound. I am interested to know what peoples opinions are about adding the P35 power amp.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade or am I fighting the law of diminshing returns?

Rega Apollo CD player, Arcam FMJ A32 amplifier, Rega R5 speakers, Dacmagic

A

Anonymous

I have my A32 BI amped with an Alpha 9; it seems to give more control over the bass and mid range. I have also considered upgrading to a P35, but will have to wait until I have a bit more cash; also I am not sure its going to make much difference over the alpha 9.

Looking at upgrading my cables at the moment!

System

A32 pre amp, HF

Alpha 9 Power Amp LF

B&W 704

CD73T

A

Anonymous

Don't discount using it as a pre/power combo instead. Good chance it'll sound better.

A

Anonymous

The poweramp makes tonnes of difference and it can be picked up for such cheap prices these days! If you have an A32, it's an essential upgrade!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bert Puttocks, i was just about to ask the same question as you.

Hughs123, by any chance do you know where they are still cheap? I have been searching for a few hours and can't find any at the knock down price. Full price only, unless you buy second hand.ÿ

Also,what would happen if I use the Arcam as a pre amp and attached, say, a valve power amp or another solid state amp to it?

ÿOr, I attach another brand of power amp and bi-amp?

Cheersÿ

A

Anonymous

IMO a valve power amp would be superb on those speakers. You'd have an excellent preamp with good control options and potentially a sound to die for.

A

Anonymous

leenorris78:
Thanks Bert Puttocks, i was just about to ask the same question as you.

Hughs123, by any chance do you know where they are still cheap? I have been searching for a few hours and can't find any at the knock down price. Full price only, unless you buy second hand.

Also,what would happen if I use the Arcam as a pre amp and attached, say, a valve power amp or another solid state amp to it?

Or, I attach another brand of power amp and bi-amp?

Cheers

i'm selling a power amp rotel rb870bx fvery cheaply!

A

Anonymous

I was able to get an Arcam FMJ A32 last week - sealed box, brand new with full 5 year guarantee (ie not even display model). I therefore had to run it in when it arrived.

I purchased from A Fanthorpe Ltd (a retailer in Hull) - they have an online shop going by the name of Hull Hi Fi - at £699 and I found them by searching on google by typing in "Arcam FMJ A32 £699"

I took a big gamble on using this company as I had never heard of them and they have never been mentioned on here to my knowledge. The usual suspects - Seven Oaks, Lintone Audio and Moorgate Acoustics appear to be very reliable and well trusted but they had all run out of A32s when I called. They all offered to contact Arcam directly for repaired models that are in excellent nick and full working order but cannot be desrcibed as 'new'. (I think these are known as 'grey' goods? - not sure)

I have to say I am still working my way through my cd collection as I also recently bought a brand new CD192 (from Seven Oaks) for less than £400. I am still being wowwed by the A32/CD192 combo having previously owned an A65+ and CD62t for several years - the difference is stunning.

To get an A32 and CD192 brand new for a grand is an absolute bargain - I'm currently overdrawn but felt it was too good an opportunity to miss. I wont be able to afford to upgrade my current speakers (Mission 780se) or add a P35 - which I would dearly love to do - for at least another year but I am very happy with the massive improvements in sound.

As an aside, my little missions actually sounds very good but just dont have the bass on some tracks - I am still stunned at how good the A32 is making them sound though. At £700 new nothing else can touch this amp - its absolutely brilliant. I really hope you find one.

A

Anonymous

Lowfella, I agree the A32 is a wonderful amp for the discounted price. But I was wandering what power amp I could put onto my a32 when the funds allow (i'ma lowly student again for a bit).

If I was to put on a valve amp, what should I be looking for.

Or, if I use solid state,does it just have to be the P35 or would another brand of power amp give similar benefits?

ÿI'm sure Bert Puttocks would be interested too.ÿ

Cheers againÿ

A

Anonymous

Fanthorpes have been retailing from the same place in Hull since the 1940's I think. Probably a fairly reliable outfit!

Reactions: SO8

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
If you use the A32 as a pre-amp only then you can add any brand/type of power amp to achieve a pre/power combo. However if you want to bi-amp then the power amp has to match the integrated - most importantly the gain has to match so that the amps serving bass and treble amplify the sound by the same degree for a given input. If you went for a different make with the same gain then that might work, but you'd most likely unbalance the sound due to the tonal characteristics of the 2 amps differing - it would be highly unlikely to sound better than sticking with an Arcam power amp.

IMO adding the P35 is a no brainer. I have an A32/P35 combo and adding the P35 made an huge difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts