Arcam FMJ A19 standby mode buzz

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I own an Arcam fmj a19 and I have a buzz inside the amp when in stanby mode (audible in a quiet room from 1 m). I sent back the unit to the store and they say it's dead silent (which I don't really belive). I called arcam I told them the story. They say that normally this is a problem and the unit should be replaced and they will contact the store. Called back the store in 1 week and they say that they don't have any email from arcam and they promissed me that they will contact arcam. After few months still nothing. I feel that nobody cares about my problem. Before I discuss with the legal authorities can somebody tell me if they have this issue with the unit? I would like to know if this is a design issue or a faulty unit. Thank you in advance.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Could be noise on your mains causing the transformer to vibrate: if it's a mechanical vibration (ie from the amplifier itself, and not through the speakers), then a transformer vibration is the most likely cause.

In the old days, when transformer was held in place by a hefty bolt through the chassis, the advice was often to find the big bolt-head on the base-plate and give it a gentle tighten, but not sure how Arcam fixes the transformers in its amps these days.

Noted in that thread referenced someone saying the noise is the same wherever they plug it in around the home, which is probably not a surprise if they have a problem of pollution on the mains supply to the house: wherever the OP returned the amp to probably doesn't have noisy mains, hence no problem.

Not diminishing the annoyance, just trying to explain what the cause might be.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I am concerned because the buzz is audible in standby mode. I have a schematic of the Arcam A19 and for standby mode they use another transformer (much smaller one). I guess this transformer only suppies remote circuit or so. The main is supplied only after the standby mode is exited. I also called Arcam and they clearly mentioned that is a faulty amp and should be replaced by the store. I told them that the store cannot hear the buzz (which I do not really belive) an they said that they will contact the store. You know what happened? Nothing. Called the store and they said they didnt receive any complain from Arcam. Whom to belive?

I am from eastern Europe and plug supply is 230V.

For this I have to travel 300 KM to the store with my amp and show them the fault. I posted this topic to be sure that this is not a design issue and travel that distance for nothing.

I tried several plugs in other houses and I heard the same buzz.

I have at home a Sony receiver. Death quiet in standby mode.

Thanks for being so nice and replied to my post.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
dan25 said:
I am concerned because the buzz is audible in standby mode. I have a schematic of the Arcam A19 and for standby mode they use another transformer (much smaller one). I guess this transformer only suppies remote circuit or so. The main is supplied only after the standby mode is exited. I also called Arcam and they clearly mentioned that is a faulty amp and should be replaced by the store. I told them that the store cannot hear the buzz (which I do not really belive) an they said that they will contact the store. You know what happened? Nothing. Called the store and they said they didnt receive any complain from Arcam. Whom to belive?

As I know, you're not the first user with that problem.

BTW, there is only a single transformer inside A19. Take a look at the picture shown here http://www.stereophile.com/content/arcam-fmj-a19-integrated-amplifier-page-2#Ywos7bGUXc7HSW4J.97

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I made a screen shot from the schematic with the standby transformer but the image loader seems not to work (or it's me not using it properly :) ). The service manual can be foun on www.arcam.co.uk under Arcam A19 section. On sheet 4 you can find the standby transformer. It converts plug supply voltage to 9 V. Then this voltage is regulated to 5 V. I suspect that the transformer windings or some coil inside the regulation circuit is vibrating cauzing the buzz.

I bought once a radio controlled thermostat (also using a small transformer) for the heatting system which was buzzing but it was changed by the store with no comments.

So if somebody had the same experience please share. I plan to travel to the store in March so maybe your experince may stopping me doing this :) .

23cicero

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
My Arcam a19 has the same freakin annoying buzz. I'd love to have some help soving this problem. The amp is no longer under warranty so I'm not sure what I can do . . .

TrevC

dan25 said:
Hello all, I own an Arcam fmj a19 and I have a buzz inside the amp when in stanby mode (audible in a quiet room from 1 m). I sent back the unit to the store and they say it's dead silent (which I don't really belive). I called arcam I told them the story. They say that normally this is a problem and the unit should be replaced and they will contact the store. Called back the store in 1 week and they say that they don't have any email from arcam and they promissed me that they will contact arcam. After few months still nothing. I feel that nobody cares about my problem. Before I discuss with the legal authorities can somebody tell me if they have this issue with the unit? I would like to know if this is a design issue or a faulty unit. Thank you in advance.

Toroidal tranformers give better voltage regulation but do have a tendency to buzz. This is because of the lower primary resistance making them more prone to core saturation if a DC offset due to waveform distortion is present on the mains. Try plugging it in elswhere, like a friends house, and see if it buzzes there. The store could be right, there may be no fault showing for them.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanx TrevC,

please read my post starting with Mon, 2016-02-01 15:40. Only a small transformer is during standby mode. Not the main.

TrevC said:
dan25 said:
Thanx TrevC,

please read my post starting with Mon, 2016-02-01 15:40. Only a small transformer is during standby mode. Not the main.

Did you try it somewhere else, a different house? If it still buzzes it will be the transformer itself.
I thought you were about to say that mains can make a difference there, trev. Phew, close call! Where is Russ Andrews when you need him?!

TrevC

nopiano said:
TrevC said:
dan25 said:
Thanx TrevC,

Did you try it somewhere else, a different house? If it still buzzes it will be the transformer itself.
I thought you were about to say that mains can make a difference there, trev. Phew, close call! Where is Russ Andrews when you need him?!

Nothing Russ makes will fix this. He only sells useless overpriced tripe that doesn't do anything, no DC blockers.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I've tried it in several apartments in my building. Same s***. I will try it also at work where voltage should be more stable. Thanx.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts