arcam cds27 SACD/CD/Network streaming player

Osborn

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello all - first post here. Anyone tried out one of these and managed to get it to play FLACS (or any otther file types e.g. WAVs) gaplessly? ....No way via the USB port..... So is there a server out there which may do it? I'm using a Synology NAS (recommended by Arcam) and its own Audio Station as a server. ...Again, no way...So, is it worth trying any other servers? Or is the Arcam totally incapable of playing files gaplessly? Any advice welcome....

Perhaps significantly, there has been a conspicous lack of online reviews of the product since it was launched last year.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Osborn, can't help but will shamelessly hijack the thread to ask what you think of the cds27 as a streamer and control app if you were to ignore the gapless issue?

Sorry for the hijack.

Osborn

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
No apologies needed
Bought it principally for the sound quality. A step-up in terms of realism and purity from my previous sources: un upgraded Squeezebox Touch (with Linear power supply) and a Musical Fidelity CD transport. The ability to play SACDs is a bonus. And it works well with the Music Life app (only available for IOS devices)
But the functionality of the CDS27 is not a strong point, and neither is the apparent lack of support for gapless playback.

jacco

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi Osborn,

This is my first post also - Did you manage to get this player to play gapless? I bought this player recently and I'm sorry to say that I'm very disappointed. In my opinion it is a very capable CD player but it is definitely not a network streamer.

Beside that fact that is doesn't play gapless, the network functionality and iOS Apps are very unstable. As a type this message music plays through the MusicLife App: An Accoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House by Joe Bonamassa. Sounds great but as it is a live performance a gap between songs is very annoying. I also experience a new flaw, the App plays beyond the end of the song and the CDS27 stops playing (logically).

None of the reviews I found (also the one on What Hifi) are very critical about the streaming functionality. I find that strange as this player is a networkstreamer with CD capability and not a CD player with networkstreaming capability. Or am I wrong?

I would really like this unit but I don't think I can live with it's flaws.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts