Arcam CD92 or Arcam FMJ CD17?

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have an Arcam CD92 cd player which I have had for a while. Does anybody know if changing to the new FMJ CD17 player is a worthwhile upgrade? I've seen it at a well known hi-fi retailer for £479.00

The CD92 is connected to a Rotel RC-03 pre-amp and two Rotel RB-03 power-amps with B&W 602S3 speakers.

I play metal/rock music so like plenty of punch is my music
emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
smbmetal:
Hi,

I have an Arcam CD92 cd player which I have had for a while. Does anybody know if changing to the new FMJ CD17 player is a worthwhile upgrade? I've seen it at a well known hi-fi retailer for £479.00

The CD92 is connected to a Rotel RC-03 pre-amp and two Rotel RB-03 power-amps with B&W 602S3 speakers.

emotion-1.gif

I would change then. The Arcam CD92 isn't punchy at all, it's very mellow.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:smbmetal:

Hi,

emotion-1.gif

I would change then. The Arcam CD92 isn't punchy at all, it's very mellow.

Thanks JoelSim. I changed from a CD62 to the CD92 and noticed that the CD92 is a lot more laid back! Think I might go and have a listen to the CD17 and let my ears make up my mind!

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Big Chris for your reply. I'll keep my eye out for a 192. I was a little dissapointed when I upgraded from my 62 to the 92, I expected more of a difference, guess it will be down to the 92's ring dac, serves me right for not listening to one first! Ideally I would prefer to listen to a 192 against my 92 first though, shame Arcam don't make them anymore.

The CD17 is an okay cdp but nothing special. Like Chris and joel mentioned the 192 is far better, but I'm gonna throw a piece of wood in the wheels. The 192 is a fabulous player and for the price of a s/hand one, you could pick-up a ex-dem Exposure 2010S. I've heard both and the 2010 is more or less on par with the 192 - brilliant with rock music.

A

Anonymous

Try a Cyrus CD6SE as well...some good bargains to be had.....
emotion-5.gif
I've had Arcam CD62, 73, 82 and 93 and used to think I liked the warmer sound - now I just prefer the music coming off the disc as it should be.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies! Got some thinking and researching/listening to do! I like cd text (sad I know!) so that rules out a lot of players including the Cyrus unfortunately!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup...

Arcam CD192 gets my vote as well. It'll outshine your CD92 and would make mincemeat of the CD17 as well. That's a poor CDP IMO.

Shame your after CD text as the Rega Apollo or the NAD C545BEE would suit your taste in music very well also.

A

Anonymous

Hy,

I have almost the same combination as U do, except the fact that I now use a single RB-03 power amp. I can buy a second one in mint condition, but I want to know what do U think about the use of 2 RB03 on 602's. Is that a good combination ? Do U have distorsions or other issues at high volumes?

10x

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
got to post a comment here, i have a CD17 after upgrading from my Sony DVPS7700 dvd/cd player and the difference was amazing. I also listen to rock and metal and the CD17 is perfect has a nice bassy rich sound.... people who are saying its an average cd player or not a good one are wrong.....

smbmetal said:
Hi,

emotion-1.gif

Hi smbmetal

I know your electronics and speakers well as i used to deal with these Rotel/B&W/Arcam components. I'll recommend that you hold on to your CD92 and instead look at upgrading your to even higher quality of amplification.

1) Hold on to the RC-03 and replace the RB-03 with Rotel's RB-1070 or RB-1080 power amplifiers.

2) Replace the RC-03/RB-03 with a RA-1062.

As impressive as the RC-03/RB-03 combination is however upgrading to any of the above amplifiers will ensure the 602S3 are energized far more effectively (particularly useful for the types of music you listen to). This route will give you a much bigger return on your investment then changing your CD92 (which i feel will mostly be a sidewards move).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

cattalinss said:
Hy,

I have almost the same combination as U do, except the fact that I now use a single RB-03 power amp. I can buy a second one in mint condition, but I want to know what do U think about the use of 2 RB03 on 602's. Is that a good combination ? Do U have distorsions or other issues at high volumes?

10x

Hi cattalinss

I know your electronics and speakers well as i used to deal with these Rotel/B&W components. Adding a second RB-03 will improve the performance of the 602's however you can achieve even better results with following options -

1) Hold on to the RC-03 and replace the RB-03 with Rotel's RB-1070 or RB-1080 power amplifiers.

2) Replace the RC-03/RB-03 with a RA-1062.

As impressive as the RC-03/RB-03 combination is however upgrading to any of the above amplifiers will ensure the 602S3 are energized far more effectively and also maintain much greater levels of stability at higher listening levels compared to the RC-03/RB-03 (or even with two RB-03's).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ignaceII

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

i have several high end cds. Teac vrds 25, sony cdp-559es, cdp-xa2es,

Now i tested a classical track between the Arcam and a Kenwood dp-880sg.

on a pioneer a-400.

to my astonishment I heard little or no difference. The Kenwood is optical quite beautiful too.

i don't know. Is it the amp then, the speakers.

both ran on the same system

lots of hype. That is my conclusion.

even in general on audio. I played a recent digital Pioneer against a rega elicit r on Audio Physics Acanti 6.

my colistener found the Pioneer generating more balance between mid and low where the expensive rega left a vacuum ...

so... lots of marketing.

Better with a good old vintage system than with nowadays audio

sorry. My conclusion.

the big Melody valve amp and a Destiny cd hybrid hd made the best impression.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts