Arcam CD192, maybe a little bass light?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Howdy folks,

I (amongst many others I suspect) bought a CD192 after the recent price drops.

I'm pretty impressed with it, but can't seem to shake the notion that it's a little bass light. Has anyone else thought this, or is it just me?
emotion-1.gif

Any and all useful opinions welcomed, as long as they're not of the 'boring, boring Arcam' variety
emotion-5.gif

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
My system using a 192 in conjunction with an Audiolab 8000q pre and 2 x rotel rb971 bridged, using ProAc tablette 2000 speakers provides tumps of bass, giving a live feel to the music. Hope this helps, may be another part of your system to blame?

T

the record spot

bigblue235:
Howdy folks,

I (amongst many others I suspect) bought a CD192 after the recent price drops.

I'm pretty impressed with it, but can't seem to shake the notion that it's a little bass light. Has anyone else thought this, or is it just me?
emotion-1.gif

Any and all useful opinions welcomed, as long as they're not of the 'boring, boring Arcam' variety
emotion-5.gif

What are you partnering it with? Arcam never struck me as bass shy, but it may be your amp, spakers, interconnect....

A

Anonymous

I went from a Roksan Kandy MK3 CDP to my Musical Fidelity XRay v8 and the bass is now more controlled. The Kandy seemed to have more but the XRay is tighter and possibly deeper. Maybe that's what you're experiencing.

A

Anonymous

I had one and it was not bass light - as others say - it is other components - I would check out the amp personally..........

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks.

It's partnered with an Arcam A85 amp and RS6 speakers, neither of which I'd consider bass light, and they produce plenty of low stuff with other sources, including streamed music.

It's a bit of a strange one really, but it definitely sounds a bit light to me. Can't think of what the problem is. I'd considered the fact that it may just be better controlled bass, but I don't see why there would be a difference with the CD player vs music streamed from AE/PS3, which sounds fine.

I'm not one for believing in 'burn-in' really, but it should be plenty burnt in by now anyway. It's all hooked up with decent Atlas cables too, so I don't think they're to blame either.

Hmmm
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Flog it and get something else. Or perhaps you could try a Beresford DAC, allegedly has a little more bass than the CA DACMagic. Both would be step down in quality though.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235:
Thanks for the replies folks.

It's partnered with an Arcam A85 amp and RS6 speakers, neither of which I'd consider bass light, and they produce plenty of low stuff with other sources, including streamed music.

It's a bit of a strange one really, but it definitely sounds a bit light to me. Can't think of what the problem is. I'd considered the fact that it may just be better controlled bass, but I don't see why there would be a difference with the CD player vs music streamed from AE/PS3, which sounds fine.

I'm not one for believing in 'burn-in' really, but it should be plenty burnt in by now anyway. It's all hooked up with decent Atlas cables too, so I don't think they're to blame either.

Hmmm
emotion-7.gif

I would try a different amp. Deffo.

emotion-5.gif

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
I too have the cd192 and find it anything, but, bass shy. Maybe it's your amplifier/ spreakers or just the fact that you've switched from something with an artificially coloured sound.

I've partnered it with a Roksan Kandy amp and find the sound could not be more authoraritive (did I spell that right)? and the bass still suprises me with its depth and control, even with standmounts!

nij_1

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Oh believe in the 'burn-in' with this cd player! Mine sounded terrible at first (I upgraded from a cd73T), harsh and timing was all over the place. I checked some on-line reviews from the U.S. that said the same thing so I went to work with the thing left on 'repeat' for a couple of days and the difference was incredible. The bass continued to flesh out as I used it over the next couple of months.

By the way RS1s are not known for their bass extension.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Once again, ta
emotion-21.gif

I'm not sure I really buy into the whole 'burn-in' thing with a CD player. I have read similar comments about Arcam CDP's needing it, but then I've also seen one from John Dawson that seems to imply he doesn't really believe in the process. I tend to go with him
emotion-1.gif

As for the amp, it's plenty bassy with other sources, and whilst I agree that some of those sources may indeed be coloured to an extent, lossless music streamed via an AE or PS3 surely shouldn't be? I'm can't really flog the amp, don't really have the funds at the mo for anything better (pesky housing market!), but I could probably get my money back for the CDP.

A

Anonymous

Hi gwynne61

Can you please tell me if it is complicated to remove the jumpers in the rb-971's to bridge them. Manual implies requires prof. to do it, but I am guessing not. Any precautions?

Cheers

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I found my 192 a little harsh to begin with, but then I was used to the 92T which was very mellow indeed. Now I love it, got a bit of everything, having said that I don't look for extra bass as my tastes are about midrange really...but then again when I play Leftfield or Faithless it works for me

ÿ

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
rajayata:
Hi gwynne61

Can you please tell me if it is complicated to remove the jumpers in the rb-971's to bridge them. Manual implies requires prof. to do it, but I am guessing not. Any precautions?

Cheers

No need for professionals unless you are very unsure of what to do. A long nosed pliers and possibly an earthing strap to avoid any static shocks. I left mine unplugged and switched off overnight to try and avoid any static. The moving of the jumpers is really easy as they will just slide off and replacement is also a doddle. Just make sure you take time and have a good look inside to get familiar with whay you have to do.

Hope this helps. The difference is massive when run as monoblocs.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Have you tried bi-amping the 2 RB971's? If you have, what are your thoughts of doing this compared with Bridging.

Cheers

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes ran the 971's biamped for quite a long time until I plucked up the courage to play around with the jumpers. That was a good set up, but feel that bass and timing much improved with monobloc.

Have a play, it costs nothing to find out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts