Arcam CD17 or Rega Apollo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's time to think about replacing my ageing Arcam Alpha 5 plus CD Player. Ive looked around and narrowed my choice down to to the Arcam CD 17 and the Rega Apollo.

The Rega nearly got the vote then shopping around I found I could get the Arcam at a Similar price to the Rega (£475 ) . Various reviews can't fault the Rega and to be fair the Arcam reviews are good as well.

Total confusion now reigns on which one to go for and any advice would be appreciated.

They are going to be teamed with an Arcam Delta 290 amp (yes I know it's old as well, but it still sounds fantastic) and a pair of Kef IQ 70 speakers.

Thanks. Darrell.

There's a question...

I've only heard the CD17 last summer on a variety of speakers, and it's fine. Although I hinestly believe the old DIVA range is more musical than the new (budget) FMJ range.

I've not heard the Rega so can't comment, but many on here rate the Apollo highly. However, if you are serious about the Rega I would suggest looking at upgrading the amp. Not sure whether the Delta will do justice to the Apollo....

A

Anonymous

if you contact synergyav they will lend you an apollo for a week all you have to do is pay the the return postage about £14 then you can try it with your amp at home

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I tested the arcam cd73t against the rega apollo, the rega apollo was easily better sonically - imaging, detail, more drive (PRAT) and sparkle, tonally etc.

Cheers

Steve.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Good morning,

I suspect the Rega Apollo would be the better of the two.

I have a Rega system myself and had the pleasure of owning an Arcam CD73T previously. While this is no doubt a good cd player, the sound was too warm for my taste. I prefer a sound with detail while not being too bright either.

I'm much happier with the Apollo. To me at least, it is such a perfectly balanced cd player. It is such a natural sounding playing that produces beautiful music, while not missing any detail, musicality etc.

Thank you.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rega Apollo all the way for me.

It is a superb CDP and sonically it is a better player than the Arcam FMJ A17...

I have heard them both quite a few times before buying the system below and it was fairly close but for me the Rega came out on top all the time.

It gels well with numerous seperates so synergy isnt an issue IMO

d_a_n1979:Rega Apollo all the way for me. It is a superb CDP and sonically it is a better player than the Arcam FMJ A17... I have heard them both quite a few times before buying the system below and it was fairly close but for me the Rega came out on top all the time. It gels well with numerous seperates so synergy isnt an issue IMO

Do you not think, dan, that with the Delta amp the OP is using the Apollo won't be fully exploited?

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunatly i never got to hear the Rega, but can tell you that the CD17 failed to inspire me. It had more detail than my old CA 640Cv2 but wasnt any more compelling to listen to. I ended up plumping up for the Naim CD5i instead, which by the way is fantastic ;-)

A

Anonymous

i would say listen to both at home if possible and come to your own conclusion, i did and opted for the apollo.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I can confirm this statement about the CD5i. The Apollo is great, the CD5i is just stunning! I got one second hand at the price of a new Apollo. :) But TBH, the European price that is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts