Arcam CD 192 vs CD17 or 37

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

The CD 192 got a very positive review from What HiFi, but the newer CD17 and 37 did not.

Is the CD 192 better than the newer models? Or is it just that the current crop of similarly priced players are much improved, which has left the Arcam models behind?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The CD17 and CD37 both got very good reviews from WHF actually - both were 4 stars and this was only qualified against the Cyrus which WHF rate so highly as they like the more clinical sound. In fact i am sure they said if you prefered the smoother sound then the Arcam CD37 would be a better bet and is a must hear machine.

Other magazines certainly rate the Arcam CD37 very highly indeed. I would definately say this one is better than the 192 but then the price of the 192 is very much lower nowadays.

A

Anonymous

I must admit that I like the Arcam sound. I have a CD93, A85/P85 set up with Mission 782SE speakers, but was considering an upgrade in the new year.

I have seen the CD 192 for £499, which is tempting.

How do find the Neat's with your Arcam set up?

JayKay70:

Hi,

The CD 192 got a very positive review from What HiFi, but the newer CD17 and 37 did not.

Is the CD 192 better than the newer models? Or is it just that the current crop of similarly priced players are much improved, which has left the Arcam models behind?

Don't get too hung up on star ratings or reviews. As WHFI have said on many occasions, four star product can sound every bit as good as 5 in the right environment and system.

I've heard the 192 and 17 and they are both very good. However, personally speaking, if you have the budget only for the CD17 I would choose the defunct CD73T. And here's why:

In terms of detail and clarity the CD17 is better than the 73T. But if overall musicality is what you prefer in music, the 73 is better IMO.

The 192 I've heard with Leema Pulse and MA RS6 speakers, and quite frankly, the combo blew my socks off. So where does that leave the CD37? I've not heard this one yet, but I would assume it is an improvement on the 192. As crusaderlord said, the Cyrus and Naim stopped the Arcam from gaining the full five stars.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
JayKay,

I upgraded from a CD93 to a CD37 a while back (at the time I had an Arcam A32+P35 amp) and I can confidently say that the change would be hugely beneficial in your system. I found the CD37 a really lovely machine and preferred it to the Cyrus CD 8SE. I found that the Arcam had fractionally less treble detail than the Cyrus, but more detail in the bass, which was much deeper and more tuneful. I was upgrading because I found the CD93 a little lethargic and lacking in 'get-up & go', and the CD37 absolutely remedied that.

I have since gone for a computer based source (Lossless files from MacBook to DacMagic sounds even better than the CD37 if that route interests you), but I do have a soft spot for the CD37 and heartily recommend it.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The Neat Motive range as you asked are superb speakers. Rated very highly by WHF (again in the latest issue as well) and specifically recommended by Naim for use with their products.

My demo of 6 or so speakers up to £1,250 left me with the Neats as the best value and performance for their price and they do seem to work equally well with Arcam as Naim. Their punchiness and superb dynamics counter-balance the smoother Arcam sound really well.

There are many good speakers around the price, and i would also demo the PMC DB1i which i also felt were great speakers along with Proac Response. The latter are more expensive and i felt the Neats represented better overall value but if you have the money they are great.

crusaderlord:The Neat Motive range as you asked are superb speakers. Rated very highly by WHF (again in the latest issue as well) and specifically recommended by Naim for use with their products. My demo of 6 or so speakers up to £1,250 left me with the Neats as the best value and performance for their price and they do seem to work equally well with Arcam as Naim. Their punchiness and superb dynamics counter-balance the smoother Arcam sound really well. There are many good speakers around the price, and i would also demo the PMC DB1i which i also felt were great speakers along with Proac Response. The latter are more expensive and i felt the Neats represented better overall value but if you have the money they are great.

I can also vouch for the PMC's. They sounded terrific with the Arcam, although because the A65 lacks a little puch to make the most of the DB1's. The higher end Arcams would probably make the PMC's or Neats sing.....

A

Anonymous

Not really sure why CD 73 was recommended as I already have a CD 93, which was an upgrade from a CD 73!

My budget is around £1,000, but was curious to know how the CD 17 and 37 compare to the CD 192, which was a definite improvement over the CD 93.

I guess what I really want to know is whether the CD 17 and 37 are both a significant improvement over the CD 93.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think you will find they all are. The CD93 is very soft, certainly the CD192 isn't (I had a CD92 and a 192 and the latter was much harder, and better).

I think you could do better than £500 for one though. Personally I would get a CD37 if the price was right.

A

Anonymous

OK, but do any of the What Hi-Fi team that reviewed these products have an opinion too?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts