ARCAM CD 17 + A18 + ? speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for a pair of speakers to partner with my ARCAM CD17 and A18, would it be possible for you guys to recommend something?

Having been listening to music on PCs and iPod over the last few years as a student, I am new to the world of hi fi. My budget would be £500 plus or minus £200. I listent to classical mostly and would fancy a pair of speakers good for chamber music.

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio are considered by many to be a perfect match - you could pick up something from the old RS range for your budget. RS2 if you want standmount or RS6 if you want floorstanders. A couple of RS6s on ebay currently, plus some year old GS10s for £800.

bluelittle:

I am looking for a pair of speakers to partner with my ARCAM CD17 and A18, would it be possible for you guys to recommend something?

Having been listening to music on PCs and iPod over the last few years as a student, I am new to the world of hi fi. My budget would be £500 plus or minus £200. I listent to classical mostly and would fancy a pair of speakers good for chamber music.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum

Right, I'm not on this occasion going mention Monitor Audio (shock, horror
emotion-3.gif
), but it really depends on whether you're looking for standmounted or floorstanders?

When I heard the A18/CD17 combo I was really impressed with Usher S520s. Although WHFI only awarded it 3 stars, they are one of the best sub-£400 standmounters I've heard. If you can stretch your budget to £900 Ruark Sabre III are immensely good, likewise the brilliant PMC DB1S.

As regards floorstanders, KEF IQ5SE will have the dynamics and agility to really lift the Arcams relaxed nature. Joelsim used to have Arcam/Dali combo - I've not heard the Dalis but they are impressive with Arcam gear....so I'm told.

Ah, before I forget, there's a brand called Monitor Audio that're pretty good with Arcam
emotion-5.gif
. Starting off with RS1 standmounted, although BR5 floorstanders would be better or RS6. Budget allowing, the entry-level Gold range GS10s will also sound awsome.

Hope this helps....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm demoing this system combo tomorrow with B&W CM7's and B&W 683's. I may also get the M/A RX6's thrown in as well but I already know they're good speakers and will suit the Arcam gear down to a tee
emotion-5.gif

If you're after standmount speakers then I'd whole heartedly recommend the B&W 685's or the Monitor Audio RX2's. On decent stands these speakers will really sing well with the A18 amp and CD17 CDP.

I think for budget floorstanding speakers; either look at the Monitor Audio BR5's or posibly consider the Q Acoustic 2050's.

I've demo'd Arcam gear before with Kef speakers and didnt like the synergy at all; fairly brash at the top end and not very gutsy compared to B&W and Monitor Audio.

Almost forgot to add; I'd also have a good look at the Dali Lektor 2's and possibly the EB Acoustic EB1's as well.

d_a_n1979:I'm demoing this system combo tomorrow with B&W CM7's and B&W 683's. I may also get the M/A RX6's thrown in as well but I already know they're good speakers and will suit the Arcam gear down to a tee
emotion-5.gif
If you're after standmount speakers then I'd whole heartedly recommend the B&W 685's or the Monitor Audio RX2's. On decent stands these speakers will really sing well with the A18 amp and CD17 CDP. I think for budget floorstanding speakers; either look at the Monitor Audio BR5's or posibly consider the Q Acoustic 2050's. I've demo'd Arcam gear before with Kef speakers and didnt like the synergy at all; fairly brash at the top end and not very gutsy compared to B&W and Monitor Audio

d_a_n, try and demo a pair of Ushers. I was mightily impressed with them, the only drawback is the hideous, migraine inducing colours they come in. The gloss black, on the other hand, was very nice indeed.

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much to each of you for the advice, most helpful.
Let me summarise...

standmount:

Monitor Audio RS2 /GS10 /RX2

Usher S520

Ruark Sabre III

PMC DB1

B&W 658

Dali Lektor 2

floorstanders:

Monitor Audio RS6 / BR5

KEF IQ5SE

B&W CM7 / 683

Q Acoustic 2050

I would go for a pair of good standmounts as I live in a flat - sorry for not being specific in my original post... I could possibly stretch my budget to £800 or £900 as I really want some good speakers that I could use for a long time... I will try the speakers you recommended in the local shops and would also be grateful for any other recommendations from you guys.

Thank you so much!

If you have up to £900 make sure you budget around £150 - £200 for good stands. The ones I like are Kudos.

Ruark Sabres are fairly long in the tooth (pardon the pun), they were first reviewed in 2005 (I think); they are still fabulous sounding and likely to be able to haggle a good deal.

Good luck.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO, if you live in a flat then I'd stick to good standmount speakers on decent stands.

More than enough bass from them but not overpowering as you may get from floorstanders although the Rega RS3's or RS5 florrstanding speakers could be considered.

The Monitor Audio RX2's would be a superb choice as would the B&W CM5's or CM1's as well.

The B&W 685's and Dali Lektor 2's come a bit further down the price sclae but still brilliant speakers with superb soundstages and would gel well with the Arcam gear.

A

Anonymous

Oh... I've got another question. Would my Arcam A18 be enough to drive speakers such as Monitor Audio GS10 and Rusak Sabres III? Is it necessary to upgrade it to A28 or something else? I just got the CD17 and A18 yesterday and my local dealer said I could bring them back if I do not like them.

Thank you!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No; the Arcam would be fine
emotion-1.gif

The M/A GS10's are easy enough to drive and the Ruarks would be fine.

IMO I think you may find the M/A RX2's better than the M/A GS10's; they share a lot of the same technologies but the RX2's are that bit bigger and IMO have a fuller, more detailed soundstage.

They also look gorgeous in gloss black
emotion-5.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
if you can now stretch towards £800 then i would give Neat Motive 3 a try too - i did and they are the best speakers i have heard with the Arcams so far at this price

other recommendations would include PMC DB1i and Monitor Audio GS10 both of which i have heard

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
How did the Neats sound? What was their soundstage like and bass levels as well?

I'm off to demo the Neat Motive 2's next week or the week after with Naim Nait 5i and Rega Brio/Mira amps and the Rega Apollo CDP... Quite looking forward to the demo
emotion-1.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think you should audition some speakers from the following:

- PMC DB1i

- ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures

- Spendor SA1

- AVI Neutron V

- ProAc Studio 110

- Neat Motive 3

- ATC SCM11

There are a range of speakers between £500 and £1300 above, those at the top end you may be able to find a pair of ex demos closer to your price.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:How did the Neats sound? What was their soundstage like and bass levels as well?

I'm off to demo the Neat Motive 2's next week or the week after with Naim Nait 5i and Rega Brio/Mira amps and the Rega Apollo CDP... Quite looking forward to the demo
emotion-1.gif

A review of my demo (which covers 4 that Joelsim mentions) is found from the link below - my opinion of the speakers i tried then and still stands since was that the Neat had the best overall presentation at this price with a great soundstage which was more horizontal than vertical and which enables you pick out instruments very well. Bass is tight and punchy and pretty decent for a standmount although the PMC had more bass in the mix it wasnt as tight - so depends on your preference here. Treble is pretty smooth in presentation (bear in mind i use Arcam which helps this). WHF call Neat dynamic and frisky which i agree with so whilst the Arcam keeps its smoothness in texture the Neats help to add the extra bounce when you want it too. Vocals are excellent. As with all speakers what you balance them with will be important. Naim and Arcam seem to love them.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/123252.aspx

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
daskeg:plus some year old GS10s for £800.

I saw them and I'm extremely tempted. Top dollar, but that price includes the matching stands. Piano black too......... I'm just wondering if I bought them, would my Wife get them in the divorce.
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your advice, most helpful!

I have arranged demos for

ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures

ProAc Studio 110

Spendor SA1

Monitor audio RX2

Acoustic energy AE (the dealer recommended this one)

on this weekend and will report here when I have tried them. The local dealer does not have Neat motive 3, Ruark Sabre, PMC DB1i, or ATC SCM11in stock. I will try other dealers tomorrow.

Also the old question, I read from some reviews that PMC DB1i and ATC SCM11 need good amplification to work at their best, would my ARCAM A18 be enough? I quite like the look of them - from the pictures.

bluelittle:

Thank you all for your advice, most helpful!

I have arranged demos for

ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures

ProAc Studio 110

Spendor SA1

Monitor audio RX2

Acoustic energy AE (the dealer recommended this one)

on this weekend and will report here when I have tried them. The local dealer does not have Neat motive 3, Ruark Sabre, PMC DB1i, or ATC SCM11in stock. I will try other dealers tomorrow.

Also the old question, I read from some reviews that PMC DB1i and ATC SCM11 need good amplification to work at their best, would my ARCAM A18 be enough? I quite like the look of them - from the pictures.

Firstly, the ATCs are brilliant but they need an amp with a strong current and high wattage to be heard at their best. This means they are less efficient than the PMCs.

The PMC, on the other hand, do need a good amplifier, but on my A65 - the forerunner to the A18 - they were a good improvement on my RS6 in many areas, like detail, clarity, integration, definition....this means they are more forgiving than the ATCs - the decibels of the PMCs are, I believe, 89db.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts