Arcam AVR350 mainly for music?

Tonestar1

Hi All,

Hopefully my signature will have uploaded ok and you will be able to see my system.

I recently blew my B&W 601s
emotion-10.gif
(Chemical Bros and Stella don't mix!)) and was going to by the 685s till I heard the 684s :-D

I am very happy with the speakers although I feel my CD/amp can be a wee bit too bright at times.

I was looking to ugrade my CD player and amp, in that order, but have seen the AVR350 for less them £600 brand new. I will be mainly using it for music however I do enjoy home cinema and will be using it to drive my HC system when I get a blu ray player(I am going to pre out everything into the Arcam as it doesn't decode HD audio).

Can I have your thoughts/xperiences on this amp for music? ie Will it be a musical upgrade to my Technics? (The old fake pre-power class AA one with the needles on the front)

As well as this I'm thinking of incorporating the B&Ws as front L&R's when I go Blu Ray I will not be allowed a big B&W centre :-(

Do you think it will sound like a dog in pain if I integrate the B&W with the Audica?

(ps I forgot to say tv was wall mounted and the rest of my kit is on a Soundstyle WG4)

matthewpiano

The Audica will sound dreadful with the B&Ws. Those Audica CS1s are pretty average anyway - and I used to sell them!!!! If you are going to use the B&Ws as front l+r channels, why not ditch the Audica thing and get a dedicated centre channel speaker? It will look and sound much much better for doing so.

A

Anonymous

Wow! That Technics amp was a beast! I wanted one soooo much when I was kid! That must have been seriously loud you were playing those speakers, especially with that amp - I've never known anybody to blow some B&Ws that are only that old...I would have thought the Stella would cool them down!

I guess the time had really come to "push the button"! LOL...well, and "Galvanize" for that matter!

Tonestar1

Matthewpiano,

I wouldn't say the Audica was average WHF did give them five stars after all. I enjoy my movies on them but I certainly take on board you opinion that they will sound awful with the B&W's.

What about the B&W sat system centre and rears then? Will the 684s drown them out too much?

I can't( read wont be allowed to) get a B&W full size centre or rears as my tv is wall mounted with all cables hidden and my AV rack is on the far right of the tv wall in the corner. So I need a wall mountable centre that won't stick out too much.

My only other real option is to forget the whole thing stick with the Technics for now and simply go for a CD upgrade. Or use the 2 of the Arcam channels for Stereo and 5 for my HC. Be far cheaper but less fun :-D

Hughes123,

Its an absolute beast, apparently my windows were vibrating (my memory is a bit hazy) before the big bang
emotion-10.gif

I have seen you're a bit of an ebay enthusiast so look out for the Technics soon :)

Back to my original post any opinions on the AVR350 for Music?

matthewpiano

My opinion on the Audica is based on both extended listening and feedback from customers so I stand by it, regardless of What Hi-Fi's review. It is only an opinion though and no more or less valid than anyone elses.

In terms of the AVR350, it will certainly be substantially more musical than most surround sound receivers and, although it won't challenge and equivalently priced integrated 2-channel amp, it will certainly be extremely good for both movies and music. You do need to expect, however, that it will sound less overtly punchy and obviously impressive than your DZ830. The sound will have far greater depth and will seem much more 3 dimensional than the Sony HCIAB is capable of and as long as this is the route you want the Arcam will serve you very well.

Tonestar1

Matthewpiano,

Thanks for your advice. Just one more thing as
Columbo would say :-D How would you say the AVR350 (original rrp £1550
now £599) will sound for music in comparison with a £600 stereo amp? Do
you think there will be a huge difference? I have my own system and so
do a couple of friends but I don't have experience of listening to a
huge variety of kit so I would value your opinion.
Cheers

A

Anonymous

Tonestar1:
Hughes123,

Its an absolute beast, apparently my windows were vibrating (my memory is a bit hazy) before the big bang
emotion-10.gif

I have seen you're a bit of an ebay enthusiast so look out for the Technics soon :)
B

Wow, that's how you do it! Everybody has to blast their speakers once in a while...I blew a pair of Mission E30s last week - I think my 1979 JVC amp was the problem - apparently the "DC ofset" is incorrect...god knows what that means, but it doesn't sound good!

As for being an Ebay enthusiast, I certainly am with anything that takes my fancy. I think buying from ebay spontaneously makes things so much more fun; you never know whether your getting a cracker or...the cracked, but it's worth it!

Do you have the SU-C1010 and SE-A1010 combo, or the SU-TX50 multi-channel one? I prefered the 1010 set myself ('cause I prefer stereo) but the TX50 was just as beasty!

Tonestar1

Its the SU-C800UM2 and SM-A900SM2(A900S Mark 2) Stereo. The only thing that doesn't work are the lights on the front for the two power meters. Think its rated at 140W.

It blew my old faithfull 601s at about 3 0'clock.
emotion-2.gif
Still scared to turn it up too loud with the 684s just in case :-D Paid £250 (open box) about 10-12 years ago they seem to go for anything from £220 to £350 on e-bay but I've only ever seen 3 of my model on. Can't really complain on the resale value though not sure if I can bring myself to sell it. The Technics and I have hosted some good parties over the years!

Too much for a bedroom system? What's the story with the JVC? Can whatever's wrong with it be economically fixed? Shame if thats it gone it looks cool. I was thinkin of a reel to reel and a few taes just for the pulp fiction look :-D

matthewpiano

Tonestar1:
Matthewpiano,

Thanks for your advice. Just one more thing as
Columbo would say :-D How would you say the AVR350 (original rrp £1550
now £599) will sound for music in comparison with a £600 stereo amp? Do
you think there will be a huge difference? I have my own system and so
do a couple of friends but I don't have experience of listening to a
huge variety of kit so I would value your opinion.
Cheers

I think it would compare extremely well and that the differences would be subtle.

Tonestar1

Thanks,

I have heard the 350 in Stereo before when I went to audition the 684s and was very very impressed. It sounded a lot better than my current set up. I just haven't heard many other amps in this price-range to compare it with. I probably give another couple of 2 channel amps a listen at this range. If I'm not blown away by the difference I'll go for the Arcam as it also gives me a good excuse to get my rather disjointed home cinema system sorted out. To explain my HC system I've always been far more oreintated towards stereo. The only reason I ended up with the Sony all in one was that it came free with the TV. Since then I've really enjoyed it so hearing a better system in my home should be good fun. What do you think of the idea of integrating the B&W sats in with the 684s? Will this still be a sonic disaster?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts