Arcam Amps for vinyl system

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to reinstall my vinyl system which currently comprises of an Ariston RD11s, SME Series 111 arm,Shure M97xe(on it's way,replacing AT 95e), Arcam alpha 5 and Mission 720 speakers.

I was thinking of upgrading my amp to get a bit more power through the speakers and generally like the sound of my existing amp so was just looking to upgrade.

Which is the better amp to look at, the likes of alpha 6-9 , A65,75, 85 etc......am guessing a few to avoid and a few belters.

This will obviously be a secondhand, probably ebay, have had a quick look and plenty available but buying without auditioning, eeek !!

Advise as ever greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Don't know how many watts the Alpha 5 is, but suggest the A65+, at 40 watts per channel, may not be enough.

The DIVA range generally isn't as rich sounding as the Alpha range. It still has the Arcam character: Detail, smooth midrange, but the DIVA range is more open and airy sounding.

To give you a decent upgrade in terms of power I would look at the Alpha 9 or DIVA A85. Both these should give you the SQ and oomph the Aplha 5 doesn't.

Alternatively, look at one of the Creek amps. When I demo'd the EVO 2 that had an almost identical tonal balance to the Arcams...

A

Anonymous

Hi,if you like the Arcam sound then i would go for the A85,preferably,one with the built in phono stage (a card similar to a computer pci card,that plugs into the motherboard)This is a great sounding amp thats not too far off in sonic terms to an FMJ A32, I know this because ive owned both and the phono stage is a match for anything you can buy upto about £200.

Avoid the Delta because as good as it was the A85 is better and the Delta,due to its age would be almost certainly be due a service and "Re-Cap" and that wont be cheap.

I know own a Krell amp that cost 4 times as much as my Arcam FMJ A32, would i go back to Arcam after Krell...NO, is the Krell 4 times better than the Arcam....NO, not even twice as good but it IS better,so yes,get an A85 and feel safe in the knowledge that you would have to spend a truck load of money to totaly out class it.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for late response, small disaster with an antique clock made me take my eye off this !!

Thanks PP and Rover for your replies done a bit more research and seem the A9 or A85 are the two to look at.

I love the sound of my Arcam and it is that warm rich sound especially with my set up that I like. When I got back on the hifi horse and started doing demo's was a bit dissappointed with newer Arcam sound and wondered which series still retained that previous character.

The Delta seems a bit fragile from what I can see and I think that was the model up from my A5 which got some excellent reviews in its day 'typical Arcam' from what I have recently read,I bought it to replace a Rotel 840bx which blew up.

I think I will try for the A9 first as I hope that retains the sound and oomph I'm looking for and if not can move onto the A85 but I will still keep my Alpha 5 and if neither impress I still have this fabulous little amp.

Thanks again.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

After just posting on another Arcam thread got me thinking, would the A&R A60 give a good sound, more power much older and would have to get phono to din plugs ?

Am I just being nostalgic in which case I should get a 'new' PL12D as well !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts