Arcam Amplifier system ideas.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello folks,

Im tentatively and slowly rebuilding my hifi system at the moment and am considering building a new system around my Klipsch Reference RB-61 II speakers. These speakers are wonderful and Im very happy with them. They are very peppy and entertaining boxes.

Im considering an Arcam amplifier as a starting point as I think they would be a perfect ying/yang balance with my Klipsch speakers. Possibly an A18 amplifier. Then there would be the question of a cd player to complete the set. Maybe a player with some dynamics to fit the Arcam/Klipsch combo ?

Im keen to hear what you all think ? These are just ideas I have and I dont know if Im right or wrong. I have owned Arcam amps and cd players in the past and have always liked them. I have a budget of about £400 each for amp and cd player. Im an Arcam fan but Im open to other ideas too !

Cheers !

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know your speakers but re Arcam, you should be able to find an A18 for around £300, they were going new for that a few months ago, I have also seen a 2 week old A19 go for about £410, the A19 is meant be somewhat better than the A18. Not really a fan of Arcam cdp prefer Marantz myself.

sthomas048 said:
Hello folks,

Im tentatively and slowly rebuilding my hifi system at the moment and am considering building a new system around my Klipsch Reference RB-61 II speakers. These speakers are wonderful and Im very happy with them. They are very peppy and entertaining boxes.

Im considering an Arcam amplifier as a starting point as I think they would be a perfect ying/yang balance with my Klipsch speakers. Possibly an A18 amplifier. Then there would be the question of a cd player to complete the set. Maybe a player with some dynamics to fit the Arcam/Klipsch combo ?

Im keen to hear what you all think ? These are just ideas I have and I dont know if Im right or wrong. I have owned Arcam amps and cd players in the past and have always liked them. I have a budget of about £400 each for amp and cd player. Im an Arcam fan but Im open to other ideas too !

Cheers !

I'm, also, not familiar with your speakers but Arcam A18 sounds good to me. If you want to add a CDP then the CD17 should be a good match. Also, if budget allows, think seriously about Exposure CD 2010S or S2. The Exposure is a fabulous match with Arcam and adds extra punch over Arcam CDPs IMO.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
What about an Arcam amp and Arcam power amp ? Looking around this seems like an option for around £400. Perhaps an olde Arcam Alpha 8/8P, 9/9P or Diva A65/P75 ? What's the score on the best Arcam pre/power at my price range ?

sthomas048 said:
What about an Arcam amp and Arcam power amp ? Looking around this seems like an option for around £400. Perhaps an olde Arcam Alpha 8/8P, 9/9P or Diva A65/P75 ? What's the score on the best Arcam pre/power at my price range ?

Yup - adding a power will give the amp and cleaner current, although the overall SQ isn't huge, but will give it more control further up the volume scale.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sthomas048 said:

The Arcam 9 is meant to be very good, I was looking for one once.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
As BigH has mentioned in a previous post, you can pick up a newish A19 for a lot less than the £649 asking price. I got a nearly new one for my dad and when comparing it to my A28, there was not much in it. Highly recommended little amplifier that!

As for CD player, I really liked the CD17 I used to own with my Arcam amp - great match IMO.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
What would you lot recommend from the following ?

1/ Arcam Alpha 10 with 9p/10p

or

2/ Arcam P65+/P75

Just trying to pin a decision down, hoping someone experienced with Arcam can help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts