Arcam Alpha 7SE CD and 8R Amp - which speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Am v much a noobie to hifi but have just dipped my toe in with the above purchases on well known auction site. I have pair of Wharfedale 9.1s eagerly awaiting the arrival of their new partners in sound. Any ideas on whether there'll be a good match? For musical reference, they're likely to be dealing with mildly anti-social levels of Pixies, Radiohead, Fall, Joy Division etc. Thanks

A

Anonymous

OK. I've seen mention of Monitors being a good match; so, going same auction route, what might be a good buy?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
At the timethe Alpha amplification always went well with the KEF Q series of the time, so should go well with the current Q too. Also, Ruark went really well with them too. If you like louder volumes, keep an eye out for an Alpha 9 or Alpha 9P power amp to add to your 8R.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for advice but budget is constrained and standmounts required to avoid marital debate/strife.

Should have said that teenage son (Arctic Monkeys, Green Day, Bob Dylan (?)) is inheriting my v old and doddery CAS 4040 (1985ish and only 1 input working) and Denon CDP, so other option is small cheap quality speakers from his pocket money and I suffer 9.1s' limitations. Or he gets 9.1s and I spend his inheritance on something better...

A

Anonymous

I had the very same system as yourself. I used it with a pair of B&W 601s2s and it was superb. I later added an Alpha 8P power amp it it stepped up a gear, Loved it! I then decided I wanted floorstanders and bought a pair of KEF Q3s. Sounded hellish! Boomy bass and veiled mid and highs. Sold them to a mate and got the B&Ws connected back up. All was well again!

A

Anonymous

Hmm 601S2s, buy it now for £150...tempting; but sudden injection of uxorial inspired common sense suggests I should try 9.1s for a bit before making any more impulse buys
emotion-10.gif

I'll be back.....

A

Anonymous

A wise decision. Ive a feeling you will upgrade though. The Arcams will definately handle better speakers. I used mine with my ATCs for a while and they werent shamed!

A

Anonymous

So much for my resolve....

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 £250 Richer Sounds. Thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Plastic, you're diamond. Thanks for your patience. Next question is a biggy...

Speaker cables; I work in broadcasting and the studio engineers are ADAMANT that expensive speaker cables are a con. Thoughts?

slithytove:

Plastic, you're diamond. Thanks for your patience. Next question is a biggy...

Speaker cables; I work in broadcasting and the studio engineers are ADAMANT that expensive speaker cables are a con. Thoughts?

Plastic diamond? there's a contradiction if ever I heard one...
emotion-5.gif

IMO yes cable do make a difference, but I'm a reluctant participant when it comes to cable threads and the varying opinions. Probably more than any other aspect of Hi-Fi building, cables you need to hear for your self and decide whether it's worth the investment. If you look at my sig at the bottom I use Chord SilverScreen...

Hope it helps.

Cheers, pp.

A

Anonymous

Plastic/diamond both carbon-based so - although oxymoron was deliberate - on second thoughts it doesn't quite work.

Misread your reply at first; started looking for cable threads in case they were a new hi-tech option to wire.

Think I've got the bug...

slithytove:

Plastic/diamond both carbon-based so - although oxymoron was deliberate - on second thoughts it doesn't quite work.

Misread your reply at first; started looking for cable threads in case they were a new hi-tech option to wire.

Think I've got the bug...

LOL Plastic diamond could also mean I'm a fake...

Anyway, interconnects I've found to be immensely important with Arcam. Like your Alpha my 73T errs on the warm side so when I looked at a replacement for my Chord Chrysalis, I stumbled across Merlin Chopin - they are massively transparent and detailed. This results in NOT removing the warmth from the Arcam but adds another dimension to the overall presentation. I have no plans of replacing the Chopins in the near future. Just fabulous.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Merlin-Bach/

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I think you are going to really enjoy the upgrade. I have Alpha 8 amp, and still use it in a second system. Others have referred to the 'warm' Arcam sound and it can make music sound a bit more polite (yes even Mark E of The Fall!). Given the music you like it might be worth choosing interconnect/speaker cables with a complementary, more 'attacking' character.

I used an interconnect called Wireworld Oasis which seemed to do the job. It was about £50 at the time, but if you keep your eye out one should come up much cheaper on ebay.

I still remember days lost when I got the Arcam revisiting old albums to hear them afresh, particularly the Fall's Light User Syndrome

Happy Listening.

A

Anonymous

OK, so the new kit arrives tomorrow, the obvious question is which song do I play first to make me fall instantly in love with it?

The current contenders are

Iron Lung

Won't get fooled again

Bremen Nacht - Fall

Goodbye - Coral

Never Understand - J&M

Debaser

Do you realise?

River Deep, Mountain High.

Rather enjoying first Coral album thru old system atm. And Denon 35 in the kitchen was on top form tonight.

You know the feeling...

A

Anonymous

I don't know all those songs, but I think Realise would highlight its very musical subtlety on the vocals and acoustic guitars. Then Bremen Nacht would let it get the pounding rhythms and great timing. I remember when I got the Arcam bands seemes to have tighter timekeeping.

Of course River deep has probably got everything...

slithytove:

OK, so the new kit arrives tomorrow, the obvious question is which song do I play first to make me fall instantly in love with it?

The current contenders are

Iron Lung

Won't get fooled again

Bremen Nacht - Fall

Goodbye - Coral

Never Understand - J&M

Debaser

Do you realise?

River Deep, Mountain High.

Rather enjoying first Coral album thru old system atm. And Denon 35 in the kitchen was on top form tonight.

You know the feeling...

What the system?

A

Anonymous

Went for Do you realise?

Sounded fab!

Ditto River Deep and Jimmy Cliff.

But Iron Lung by Radiohead was a bit of a struggle as was Bremen Nacht by the Fall ; think 9.1s need upgrade so already started looking. Anyone seen cracking deal anywhere? Budget approx same as Cdp and amp ie £200.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts