arcam alpha 7 amp, any good?

A

Anonymous

A bit on the gutless side to be honest.

Many moons ago I had an Alpha 8 that really only came alive when I added the 8P power amp in a biamp config.

If you're hunting for a bargain, look for an Alpha 9 for under £200. I'd probably stick with the AV amp though.

A

Anonymous

cheers guys, gutless and bland is not what i'm looking for
emotion-8.gif

T

the record spot

igglebert:
I'd probably stick with the AV amp though.

Aye, spoken like someone who's been over at HDD for a week or two now...!!!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, to be honest, if it was between a nearly new AV amp and a 10+ year old Alpha 9 off ebay, I'd prefer the former.

A

Anonymous

Max, you didn't hit your mechanic over the head with the AV amp?

A

Anonymous

possibly changing through necessity not choice mp..

i sold my avr months ago igg but something else may be hitting his conk soon, an absolute nightmare..
emotion-6.gif

T

the record spot

igglebert:Well, to be honest, if it was between a nearly new AV amp and a 10+ year old Alpha 9 off ebay, I'd prefer the former.

Depends on what's on offer and the purpose of the item in question I think. I will say I think the higher end late generation Alpha series amps (especially the 9) is overpriced to some degree. Some of these amps are going for £300 - given I could've landed a 9 for half that 18 months ago suggests the rumour mill's doing good trade. The 10's probably worth that cash, but when you see the likes of the Yammy RX-V667 out there for £300...

maxflinn:

i may buy one as i'm doing a bit of chopping and changing (please don't ask
emotion-16.gif
) and there's one going cheap, are they any good?

ta...

Max, I've owned a Alpha 7R since 1997, and it is far from bland. Sure the A65+ betters it for airy, open sound, but it's a fine amp - very well regarded in the late nineties by most of the big mags, including WHFI.

Like the A65 it is only 40 watts per channel, so you'll never blast the walls down, but for everyday listening, it's a very good amp. But like most Arcam amps, they are speaker dependant - 89db upwards is recommended.

A

Anonymous

so not the best amp to drive my dyns then pp? not forgetting that they are pretty easy to drive for 4ohm speakers..

maxflinn:so not the best amp to drive my dyns then pp? not forgetting that they are pretty easy to drive for 4ohm speakers..

Arcam and Dyns for me is a no no. Both very good products, but when paired they sound flat. I've always been very consistant about the MA/Arcam combination. Bliss!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:so not the best amp to drive my dyns then pp? not forgetting that they are pretty easy to drive for 4ohm speakers..

Arcam and Dyns for me is a no no. Both very good products, but when paired they sound flat. I've always been very consistant about the MA/Arcam combination. Bliss!
cheers pp i'll probably give it a miss so...

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
+1 here tried dyn's for a while better suited to lively amps, cyrus works well. For Arcam better off with focal, MA and pmc to be honest.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:
emotion-16.gif

ta...

Hi maxflinn

Simple really. The NAD C370
emotion-1.gif
Patience is a virtue
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hi rick, i'll get one eventually that's for sure
emotion-11.gif
, but i may have to wait a little while, i'm just looking for something for the short term as my beloved as-500 may have to be sacrificed to pay for something else
emotion-16.gif
, i'm like arfur daley of late
emotion-4.gif

maxflinn:MUSICRAFT:maxflinn:

emotion-16.gif

ta...

Hi maxflinn

Simple really. The NAD C370
emotion-1.gif
Patience is a virtue
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hi rick, i'll get one eventually that's for sure
emotion-11.gif
, but i may have to wait a little while, i'm just looking for something for the short term as my beloved as-500 may have to be sacrificed to pay for something else, i'm like arfur daley of late
emotion-4.gif

So why the Sea Change, Max? Thought you were as happy as "Larry" (sorry Larry) with your current set-up?

All I'd say, if you're planning on keeping the Dyns then Roksan Kandy LIII or Creek Evo II will drive the Dyns with ease. If you still have the Missions or willing to change back to MAs, Arcam is a must.

A

Anonymous

i am delighted with my current setup pp, but it's only temporary (although my dynaudios are defo staying put), i'll be getting the nad rick reccomended eventually as it has shedloads of power and is highly rated (by rick amongst others).

the as-500 may have to be sold as i said to cover a non hifi related emergency
emotion-6.gif
, that's life in the recession i'm afraid. so i'll need something cheap in the interim, torres09 will lend me a pioneer a300 or a17 (i think it's called) if i like so i may take him up on that if i can't find a suitable short term cheapie
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

dont know how it compares but i got an arcam alpha 9 for £155 last week and it sounds good, if your not looking for massive volume then i cant see a problem with it?

maxflinn:

i am delighted with my current setup pp, but it's only temporary (although my dynaudios are defo staying put), i'll be getting the nad rick reccomended eventually as it has shedloads of power and is highly rated (by rick amongst others).

the as-500 may have to be sold as i said to cover a non hifi related emergency
emotion-6.gif
, that's life in the recession i'm afraid. so i'll need something cheap in the interim, torres09 will lend me a pioneer a300 or a17 (i think it's called) if i like so i may take him up on that if i can't find a suitable short term cheapie
emotion-21.gif

Life's a *** sometimes....

Given you've had experience of Nad stuff I'm surprised you're tempted back. I'm sure Rick is a smashing chap, I'd be looking in other directions for making the most of the Dyns... the brands I've already mentioned plus Cyrus, Rotel, Leema, very high end Arcam A32 minimum....

A

Anonymous

GUYS, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO AN ALPHA 9/10 VS NAD C370? THANKS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts