Arcam A80

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, came across the Arcam on the bay was wondering whether this would be an upgrade to my current setup? Its going for a quater of its original Aussie retail price which i think seems quite reasonable.

Thanks peeps.

josh05:

Hey all, came across the Arcam on the bay was wondering whether this would be an upgrade to my current setup? Its going for a quater of its original Aussie retail price which i think seems quite reasonable.

Thanks peeps.

The A80 promises much but delivers little. It's the A65 Plus without knobs.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
josh05:

Thanks peeps.

Nope... Massive sideways/downwards step IMO Josh

Stick with the NAD C355BEE; it's still a damn good amp and you'd have to look at spending closer to £1k (or c£500 2nd hand) IMO to better it.

If you wanted to go with Arcam I'd highly recommend the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp. The DiVA A85 is also a superb amp but I still think it'd be a sideways step from your NAD

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, I wont worry about that one then, just got a bit curious about the Arcam's after reading maxflinn's thread the other day, What amp would you guys recommend to better the NAD in general imaging, detail, organization etc and something that would be as neutral or more neutral than the NAD, i dont think i will be upgrading for awhile, CDP defiantly has to be my next purchase, just a bit curious.

Thanks again
emotion-1.gif

Arcam, in the right circumstances, perfectly matched, is as good as anything below £1,000. The biggest problem with Arcs is they don't have the dynamics of some price compatible makes, and they aren't very punchy. Where they do excel makes up for their shortcomings.

Whether it would be a backwards step or not is another question. It really depends on the sound you prefer: if it's a laid-back, detailed sound (subtleties) and something you can live with for years then Arcam is the one. On the other hand, if a ballsier sound is more your ticket then Nad is the kiddie.

The problem Arcam had a few years ago was they tried to swamp the market: The A65 (£370), A75 (£500), A80 (£650). These three models were competing in the same market - against themselves. The only real difference between the A65 and the A80 is the latter was slightly more powerful, and the 65 and 75 had the knob factor.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Plastic Penguin, I should have a chance to demo some amps soon so I'll go from there i guess. I love the NAD but i want a more transparent deeper sound aswell as what i mentioned above. Maybe I'll have too look in a higher price class to get what i want, wont be for a while anyway. Thanks again
emotion-1.gif

josh05:Thanks Plastic Penguin, I should have a chance to demo some amps soon so I'll go from there i guess. I love the NAD but i want a more transparent deeper sound aswell as what i mentioned above. Maybe I'll have too look in a higher price class to get what i want, wont be for a while anyway. Thanks again
emotion-1.gif

If it's deeper sound you're looking for then keep the Nad or look at Arcam's A85.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
josh05:Thanks Plastic Penguin, I should have a chance to demo some amps soon so I'll go from there i guess. I love the NAD but i want a more transparent deeper sound aswell as what i mentioned above. Maybe I'll have too look in a higher price class to get what i want, wont be for a while anyway. Thanks again
emotion-1.gif

If you wanted a more open and agile soundstage but still very taut and punchy you'd not go far wrong with the NAD C165BEE and C275BEE pre/power combo
emotion-5.gif

It really is superb
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ta pp , but i was thinking more what than when ? last i remember it was between a pulse and , er , was it a kandy ? speakers decided yet ?

maxflinn:ta pp , but i was thinking more what than when ? last i remember it was between a pulse and , er , was it a kandy ? speakers decided yet ?

Ah, you and 20 (possibly less) other people. If I was to tell you now it would spoil the enjoyment, wouldn't it?

A

Anonymous

No. it would be a huge downwards step. Like most ( but not all) Arcam amps it is gutless. It had a soft almost mushy bass and lacked power. I demo'd it with a few mates and we actually got the guy in the shop to come in and check it as we thought it wasnt wired up correctly. It was. It just an awful amplifier. Steer clear.

Fraz1:No. it would be a huge downwards step. Like most ( but not all) Arcam amps it is gutless. It had a soft almost mushy bass and lacked power. I demo'd it with a few mates and we actually got the guy in the shop to come in and check it as we thought it wasnt wired up correctly. It was. It just an awful amplifier. Steer clear.

Would be nice to hear something constructive instead of openly slagging off Arcam. If you think most, if not all, Arcam amps are gutless then you are an idiot!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:

Fraz1:No. it would be a huge downwards step. Like most ( but not all) Arcam amps it is gutless. It had a soft almost mushy bass and lacked power. I demo'd it with a few mates and we actually got the guy in the shop to come in and check it as we thought it wasnt wired up correctly. It was. It just an awful amplifier. Steer clear.

Would be nice to hear something constructive instead of openly slagging off Arcam. If you think most, if not all, Arcam amps are gutless then you are an idiot!

Who are you, Arcams defender in chief ? You might try being an adult instead of taking the huff over someone who has a different opinion to you. The poster asked about the arcam A80 in comparison to the nad 355. Having heard both, and owning a c352 which is v similar to the 355, having demo'd the Arcam A80, diva 65+ , owned an A75+ and had a mate with an A85 as well as having a loan of one myself once,i think i am pretty well placed to offer an opinion, and with the exception of the A85 which was a cracking amp, all the others ARE gutless.

No oomph, no balls, no punch,soft bass and lacking power.They made music requiring guts,drive and dynamics sound flat. I thought they were dreadful and not good value for money at all.Compared to the nad there is no comparison. Having read many other peoples comments on this forum over the years I can tell you that I am not the only one who thinks that about arcam amps so I can't help thinking that it's not me who is the idiot.

Fraz1:plastic penguin:

Who are you, Arcams defender in chief ? You might try growing up and being an adult instead of taking the huff over someone who has a different opinion to you. The poster asked about the arcam A80 in comparison to the nad 355. Having heard both, and owning a c352 which is v similar to the 355, having demo'd the Arcam A80, diva 65+ , owned an A75+ and had a mate with an A85 i think i am pretty well placed to offer an opinion, and with the exception of the A85 which was a cracking amp, all the others ARE gutless.

No oomph, no balls, no punch,soft bass and lacking power.They made music requiring guts,drive and dynamics sound flat. I thought they were dreadful and not good value for money at all.Compared to the nad there is no comparison. Having read many other peoples comments on this forum over the years I can tell you that I am not the only one who thinks that about arcam amps.

No chief.

I refer back to my last post. The past few posts I've read of yours you've had nothing but disdain towards Arcam. There are many people, including myself, who've had years of enjoyment from the British maker. Offer an alternative brand rather spending the whole post trying to tell everyone that Arcam are pants. Let me reiterate, anyone who bangs on about the right or wrongs of a particular make has a real problem.

A

Anonymous

" the British maker" . is this some kind of patriotic thing? I have commented on several posts about arcam diva amps as i am entitled to do as I have plenty of experience of hearing them and i do not rate them at all, the diva range that is. I rate some of the alpha range and think the alpha 9 is a belter but the questions have been about DIVA stuff, which is poor imo with other amps available at a similar price mark, and in the case of the A80 a lot less, that hugely out perform them.

I will gladly pass on that knowledge to anyone who asks about them as I would not want them to make the same mistake i, and some others i know, did. If you don't like it, well thats just tough as in my EXPERIENCE it is fair comment. And i have offered other brands as an alternative. Nad. So get off my back and stop telling me what i can and cant say. If anyone has the problem, its you for wrongly, and stupidly, taking my criticism of DIva amps as having a go at all arcam stuff. Its not. I also owned an arcam cd73t and loved it.

Fraz1:

" the British maker" . is this some kind of patriotic thing? I have commented on several posts about arcam diva amps as i am entitled to do as I have plenty of experience of hearing them and i do not rate them at all, the diva range that is. I rate some of the alpha range and think the alpha 9 is a belter but the questions have been about DIVA stuff, which is poor imo with other amps available at a similar price mark, and in the case of the A80 a lot less, that hugely out perform them.

I will gladly pass on that knowledge to anyone who asks about them as I would not want them to make the same mistake i, and some others i know, did. If you don't like it, well thats just tough as in my EXPERIENCE it is fair comment. And i have offered other brands as an alternative. Nad. So get off my back and stop telling me what i can and cant say. If anyone has the problem, its you for wrongly, and stupidly, taking my criticism of DIva amps as having a go at all arcam stuff. Its not. I also owned an arcam cd73t and loved it.

Firstly, if you think "British maker" is patriotic thing, then you carry on and think it. Good luck to you.

May I suggest you make a mug of tea and put your feet up and read the last few posts regarding Arcam.

No one minds an opinion...we're here for just that. You're no different in offering wisdom, but you've gone way beyond the "opinion" stage, almost to the point of hatred.

For the two years I've been on this forum I've never experienced anyone with your acid rebuke of a single brand. Opinions, yes
emotion-21.gif
but not 'all guns blazing' slating.

A

Anonymous

Plastic, i just thought the context of you using the term " the british maker" instead of just "arcam" suggested that you had some kind of issue with me criticising a British company. I suggest you check the tone and context of your writing in future to avoid confusion.

I do not hate any hi fi but i do think Arcam diva amps are God awful, bar the A85. As do several guys in several hi fi shops i have been to, as do plenty of people on here as do some of my mates. Their Diva range was dire, its my opinion as i have heard their stuff many many times over hundreds of hours listening and i have also been listening to different amps for about 15 years now.If you dont like it, well as i said, thats tough, but don't tell me what i can and cant say, especially when i have good knowledge in the area under discussion. A damn site more than you i bet on this particular issue. I would also rather someone was made aware of just how soulless some of the diva range was than they splash their readies and buy a diva amp. If i use strong wording then that is indicative of just how bad i think the amps are.

As i said, during a demo once myself and two friends actually thought the A80 had a fault or was not connected properly it was that bad. Why can I not say so? I have also posted in the past on how much i like Arcam cd players so if i may say so, i think you are talking utter garbage And someone has just posted on this forum today about the Arcam A65+ and how they dont like it so thats another one.

As for dan jumping in with his tuppence worth like an over excited child desperate not to be left out,only someone who knows sweet fa about hi fi would change their system as often. I have read your opinions and sometimes i chuckle at the ignorance but i would not dream of telling you what you can or can't post, or what i think of your posts, until now of course. You have had your sytem for a couple of weeks now dan, is it not time for a change? Nor would i have a bullying hissy fit like plastic here . In the meantime i will stick to commenting on hardware I have actually heard and know something about, whether others disagree or not. Forums are about opinions not keyboard fascists trying to tell people what they can and cant say . You should bear that in mind plastic.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1:
Plastic, i just thought the context of you using the term " the british maker" instead of just "arcam" suggested that you had some kind of issue with me criticising a British company. I suggest you check the tone and context of your writing in future to avoid confusion.

I do not hate any hi fi but i do think Arcam diva amps are God awful, bar the A85. As do several guys in several hi fi shops i have been to, as do plenty of people on here as do some of my mates. Their Diva range was dire, its my opinion as i have heard their stuff many many times over hundreds of hours listening and i have also been listening to different amps for about 15 years now.If you dont like it, well as i said, thats tough, but don't tell me what i can and cant say, especially when i have good knowledge in the area under discussion. A damn site more than you i bet on this particular issue. I would also rather someone was made aware of just how soulless some of the diva range was than they splash their readies and buy a diva amp. If i use strong wording then that is indicative of just how bad i think the amps are.

As i said, during a demo once myself and two friends actually thought the A80 had a fault or was not connected properly it was that bad. Why can I not say so? I have also posted in the past on how much i like Arcam cd players so if i may say so, i think you are talking utter garbage And someone has just posted on this forum today about the Arcam A65+ and how they dont like it so thats another one.

As for dan jumping in with his tuppence worth like an over excited child desperate not to be left out,only someone who knows sweet fa about hi fi would change their system as often. I have read your opinions and sometimes i chuckle at the ignorance but i would not dream of telling you what you can or can't post, or what i think of your posts, until now of course. You have had your sytem for a couple of weeks now dan, is it not time for a change? Nor would i have a bullying hissy fit like plastic here . In the meantime i will stick to commenting on hardware I have actually heard and know something about, whether others disagree or not. Forums are about opinions not keyboard fascists trying to tell people what they can and cant say . You should bear that in mind plastic.

You sir are a ******* NIPPLE!

Nuff said...

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Just thought i would let you guys know i Bought a NAD 545BEE CDP today and OMG!!!
emotion-2.gif
, what a huge diference it has made! I now feel that i'm happy with what i have and wont be looking at upgrades for a long time. Cant believe how much my old marantz CD-67 was letting the team down, the NAD has made a huge diference in imaging, organisation, heaps more detail and a much bigger soundstage. Thanks for all the help guys its been much appreciated, and i've learnt heaps about HI-Fi in the process. I reckon ill be coming back on the forums from time to time as its been very enjoyable being able to speak to other Hi-Fi enthusiasts. so anyway thanks again for all the help!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts