Arcam A70 vs Marantz PM 7001 on MA RS6

Iamthatis

May 15, 2008
Visit site
I have purchased a pair of MA RS6 (just b4 they went up in price) and need to choose an amp to go with them.

I have auditioned the Marantz PM 7001 and Arcam A70 with matching CD palyers SA 7001 and CD73 respectively. I must say I was alarmed at the difference. The Marantz were very bright, lacked control and frankly came across a bit brash. The Arcam combo on the other hand was controlled, clean and lots of detail - although a bit weak on the treble - but good enough for me to want to buy tomorrow.

My concern is am I missing something? How can there be such a difference? I must admit that until I auditioned them, the Marantz were my prefered choice (from reviews). However, now I wouldn't go anywhwere near them for my RS6s.

Is this normal with the Marantz? Is the arcam A70 that much better... or am i missing something here... especially when you compare the prices...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its called synergy. I'd choose the Marantze's but I would'nt buy the MA's. If you like the sound of the Arcam's and I can understand why considering the speakers then thats a good result and you should'nt be bothered about reviews or other peoples opinions.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
At the risk of offending some of the purists, it would appear that folks that regularly attend live performances & like a 'realistic hifi sound' for their classical & jazz, & non-amplified music in general, seem to prefer Arcam's sound. Arcam cd player & amp + MA speakers sounds like a fine combo to me; at present, I'm on a quest for floorstanders & I'm pretty certain that I'll soon be adding MAs to my Arcam CD72T & A70.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="6th.replicant"]At the risk of offending some of the purists, it would appear that folks that regularly attend live performances & like a 'realistic hifi sound' for their classical & jazz, & non-amplified music in general, seem to prefer Arcam's sound. Arcam cd player & amp + MA speakers sounds like a fine combo to me; at present, I'm on a quest for floorstanders & I'm pretty certain that I'll soon be adding MAs to my Arcam CD72T & A70.[/quote]

You dont ... I'm not ... I do once or twice a week ... but I dont.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MA goes really well with Arcam amplification imo. I tried a few MA speakers (up to the GS10) with my old A80 and they sounded great, however I couldnt afford them at the time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]MA goes really well with Arcam amplification imo. I tried a few MA speakers (up to the GS10) with my old A80 and they sounded great, however I couldnt afford them at the time.[/quote]Have to agree. If I bought Arcam I'd probably end up with Monitors to match in short order. If I bought Monitor I'd probaby end up with Arcam. They're one of the best pairings out there imo.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the M/A RS6's with my Arcam Alpha 9 set up as listed below and theyre very, very good!

I auditioned a number of speakers including the M/A RS8's, RS5's B&W 684's and the B&W 683's and the M/A RS6's won outright but only just pipping the B&W 683's

I got them in the Sevenoaks discount as well so hell of a good deal :)

Theyre superb sounding with fantastic levels of bass which is deep, powerfull and well timed and not muddy at all. Great midrange which again is well timed and superb treble which the Arcam set-up helps to dampen a bit as it can be forward soemtimes.

Ive got this all connected with QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire and QED Quenex3 interconnects and dont feel that the treble is harsh at all.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I've just got the RS6's and think they sound great already. 6inches from wall with bungs in the back, they sound much better than they did in the shop when coupled with Arcam or naim kit. Now i'd like to start saving for a new CD unit. Any suggestions?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Iamthatis"]Thanks All. Bought the Arcam A70 with CD 73 for my MA6s. Sounds great![/quote]

...winning combination :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts