ARCAM A70 and Linn Keilidh speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I replaced my Linn Magick (amplifier/cd) by an Arcam A70 & Arcam CD73 because my Linn has been repared three times without success.

The sound with the new amplifier (& cd) now is very clear but there is almost no bass reproduction . I am using good loudspeakers cables and interconnect cables. The sound with my old Linn was much more warm and more bass (=normal bass) ..

I have have been playing around with several setups but without success....

Has someone any ideas ???

Best regards,

matthewpiano

Unfortunately you have found the achilles heel of the A70. Trade it and (if you like the Arcam sound otherwise) replace with a good second hand Alpha 8 or 9. Far superior amplifiers IMO with better bass performance and more overall punch and drive to the sound. The DiVA amps are all pretty average, especially the lower end ones such as the A70 and its forebear the A65+. The CD player is fine and deserves much better amplification.

Ideally, spend some time auditioning alternative amps within your system at a local dealer.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I do like Arcam and replaced the A70 with the FMJ A32 which has a much better bass extension but retains all the clarity and detail. The A70 is excellent IMO, but needs the right set up - they lacked bass with my Epos M5's but combined with my brothers MA BR5 floorstanders they have loads of bass and sound great.

A

Anonymous

Are your Keilidh speakers in active or passive mode?

From my experience of the Keilidhs weaker (bass-wise) amps will benefit from the Keilidhs active setup.

That said, I've no experience of the Arcam A70.

I've seen wonders work with the ancient NAD 3220PE amp when the Keilidhs were converted. Fuller sound all round and more depth to LFs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts