Arcam A65+

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
My friend in work has just bought my old amp off me and asked me what budget speakers would go with it. I've read some threads on here that say the right speakers can really make this amp sing. He lives in a small flat so close to wall is a must. Anyone who has found a nice pairing with the amp could help maybe? Budget is up to £200

Due to the relatively low output they need, ideally, speakers of 90db upwards; any of the Monitor Audios work really well with the A65. Likewise, Dali, B&W, Focal. Best to check Richer Sounds website for MS, Dali, Wharfedale. Shame the budget isn't higher, otherwise I'd recommend PMC DB1is - would love hear it with EB Acoustics EB1s too.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Lovely amp! Used to have the A65+ into B&W DM303s... now the A65+ is at my sister-in-law's and into B&W 685s - sounds great! Would not hesitate to recommend this combination - but... have just googled and the 685s are around GBP 350+ new.

Just saw the DM303s sold for GBP60 on ebay recently!!! This would be a great buy.

Given the somewhat lowish power of the A65s, I would suggest standmount rather than floorstanders...

Just my 2 cents.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Get thee to ebay.

A friend of mine uses an A65 with my ancient KEF Q35.2 speakers (circa 1996). They are still in excellent condition and sound fine - albeit a warmish combination - in his second system. (With a television and PS3 and my old NAD C521BEE in his bedroom).

I lucked into a mint (really mint) pair of 1998 vintage Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition speakers for £28 + £15 delivery a few months ago so it can be done.

They were made in a limited run by Mordaunt Short to celebrate their 30th anniversary - hence 'Pearl' - and were designed for MS by Epos founder Robin Marshall. (Epos were under Mordaunt Short/TGI ownership until bought by Mike Creek in 1999.)

With £200 on ebay your friend should be able to do even better with a bit of luck and research.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Just been reading all about speaker sensitivity. I always thought the Arcam sounded a bit limp. Wish i'd tried a bit more mix and match with the speakers now, could have saved a bit of money.

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
My friend bought the Monitor audio bx2 matched with A65+ and his own CA 640c. Been listening earlier today and it sounds sweet. Very detailed sound. Think I might prefer his set up. Doh!

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Still got the Nads. I'd ordered a Rega Brio 3 but had to cancel because of a hernia op. 8 weeks on statutory sick pay aint no good. Gonna stick with what i've got for now, Maybe part-ex the Kefs for some standmounts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts