Arcam A65 & CD72 Questions!

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, just bought a Arcam A65 and CD72 that i am waiting delivery of, just wounderd what Power amp would be best to get for the A65 and what peoples opinions are of the A65 and CD72. Any comments, Opinions anfd help would be great. Thanks

Either a DIVA P75 or P80 will work wonders.

The A65 Plus is a very good amp. I had one for 6 years and would kept it if Mrs. P would've allowed a power amp. She was adament about not having additional boxes.

At low to medium volumes the A65+ is superb, allied to fantastic imaging, smooth midrange and detailed top-end. The addition of a power amp will give it better control at higher levels. Can't directly comment on the CD72, although I've been told by retailers, there's little to separate it from the CD73T. Regardless, you've a cracking combo.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Plastic Penguin. I was looking around on the web researching abit as i've been looking to get a second hand integrated/power combo or pre/power combo and came across the Arcam Amp and CDP for £75.00 each so i snapped them up straight away. They are only have a few marks on them and are missing the remotes, but to be honest i'm going get a Logitech Harmony One soon so that doesn't bother me. I'll have a look into the two Power Amps you recconmended. Out of the two, which one do you think would be the best to get? thanks.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the reply Plastic Penguin. I was looking around on the web researching abit as i've been looking to get a second hand integrated/power combo or pre/power combo and came across the Arcam Amp and CDP for £75.00 each so i snapped them up straight away. They are only have a few marks on them and are missing the remotes, but to be honest i'm going get a Logitech Harmony One soon so that doesn't bother me. I'll have a look into the two Power Amps you recconmended. Out of the two, which one do you think would be the best to get? thanks.

TBVH, there's very little between them. It'll be a flick of a coin.

A brief backstory: Arcam at this time swamped the market with sub-£1,000 integrated amps, and the A75 is the A65 with 10 extra watts. Likewise, the A80 was £200 odd quid more than the A65. The only advantage of the A80 is the 65 watts per channel, and only when you get to the A85 that improvements are tenable. Arrh! the A70? a Halway house or a compromise.

I wouldn't go for P85. Nothing wrong with at all, just an overkill IMHO.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Plastic Penguin. I think it may well just be a case of me hunting around on the second hand market and getting the one which is the best deal at the time. Do you know of any good Tuners that would go good with the Arcam? i had a look on ebay a noticed there a few different models around.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the reply Plastic Penguin. I think it may well just be a case of me hunting around on the second hand market and getting the one which is the best deal at the time. Do you know of any good Tuners that would go good with the Arcam? i had a look on ebay a noticed there a few different models around.

The obvious tuner would be http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-T61-AM-FM-Tuner-/220837056992?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Tuners&hash=item336aea11e0

I love the sound of my wrinkley Marantz. Also consider Denon tuners can be picked up for peanuts.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you want to stick with Arcam DiVA tuners, there's the T51 (FM/AM no RDS), T61 (As T51 but with RDS), DT81 with added DAB and the last one was the DT91 DAB/FM tuner. T51s are cheap as chips, T61s can go for anywhere between £50 and £100. The DTs tend to fetch more obviously being newer and having DAB.

Regarding your new amp & CDP. I had (they're still on the loft, so technically should have said "have") an A65+ and a CD72T. I was very happy with them, and used them for about 6 years or so until finding my current kit on eBay. If your looking at a power amp upgrade, you should be looking at the P75+, and don't forget the importance of good neutral cabling.

Big Chris said:
If you want to stick with Arcam DiVA tuners, there's the T51 (FM/AM no RDS), T61 (As T51 but with RDS), DT81 with added DAB and the last one was the DT91 DAB/FM tuner. T51s are cheap as chips, T61s can go for anywhere between £50 and £100. The DTs tend to fetch more obviously being newer and having DAB.

Regarding your new amp & CDP. I had (they're still on the loft, so technically should have said "have") an A65+ and a CD72T. I was very happy with them, and used them for about 6 years or so until finding my current kit on eBay. If your looking at a power amp upgrade, you should be looking at the P75+, and don't forget the importance of good neutral cabling.

The Denon tuners I was thinking about was the 260L. I've seen them go for as little as £10.00

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys. I would like to try and stick with an Arcam tuner if i can, rds and dab are not really important to me, i won't count out a Denon tuner though. Out of interest, how does the Arcam A65 sound with a pair of B&W speakers and what ones would you recconmend to use with it. Would i be best to stick to some standmounts or to floorstanders. Thanks

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the replys guys. I would like to try and stick with an Arcam tuner if i can, rds and dab are not really important to me, i won't count out a Denon tuner though. Out of interest, how does the Arcam A65 sound with a pair of B&W speakers and what ones would you recconmend to use with it. Would i be best to stick to some standmounts or to floorstanders. Thanks

Big Chris is better situated than me to talk Arcam and B&W.

Due to the A65 low output, I found that floorstanders are the best compromise, because, generally speaking, most floorstanders are better at idling levels and - again generalising - the dbs tend to be higher. I found easy to drive speakers such as Monitor Audio, Focal, B&W and PMC to be the best match. So avoid ATC, Spendors, Dynaudio... perfectly good speakers, but the 40 watts with anything less than 87db and the little Arcam will be found wanting.

If you can accomodate floorstanders then they'd be my pick (I am biased though).

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do prefer Floorstanders myself but thought i'd ask about standmounts as i wasn't sure if they would be more suited to the Arcam. Once i have freed up some funds by selling my Sony system i can look at getting a power amp, cheap tuner and some new speakers. Are there any perticular model of Monitor Audio, Focal, B&W and PMC that i should be looking at?

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for the reply. I do prefer Floorstanders myself but thought i'd ask about standmounts as i wasn't sure if they would be more suited to the Arcam. Once i have freed up some funds by selling my Sony system i can look at getting a power amp, cheap tuner and some new speakers. Are there any perticular model of Monitor Audio, Focal, B&W and PMC that i should be looking at?

Speakers I heard and recommend with A65 (without power amp): MA RS6 [obviously]; MA RS5 and GR10s* (in shop); Focal 714V floorstanders (shop dem); B&W 602s, CM1s (both shop); PMC DB1is (home dem), GB1s (shop).

*GS10s should sound cracking with Arcam, although I've only heard the GS10s with the Leema.

The GS10s, PMCs and B&W CM1s I'd recommend the power amp to make the most of their quality.

Hope this has helped.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. I will be having abit more of a resaerch into all of the speakers you recconmended and see which ones i can get when funds allow. I will be getting a power amp in the future when i can find one for the right price. Thanks for your help ypu have been very helpfull. I have only owned budget systems before and am finally making my step up the Hi Fi ladder.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for that. I will be having abit more of a resaerch into all of the speakers you recconmended and see which ones i can get when funds allow. I will be getting a power amp in the future when i can find one for the right price. Thanks for your help ypu have been very helpfull. I have only owned budget systems before and am finally making my step up the Hi Fi ladder.

If you're looking at speakers first then these should do nicely: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-Silver-RS6-oak-speakers-mint-condition-/260836440832?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3cbb103b00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Monitor-Audio-RS5-cherry-wood-speakers-/190568436872?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c5ec39488

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Focal-JM-Lab-Chorus-Speakers-/170686065241?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item27bdaeaa59

I've also added a spec sheet for the RS6:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/silver-rs/rs6/#/specification

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin. I had a look at the links you sent me and i love the look of the Monitor Audio Silver rx6. I've noticed quiet alot of people go on about Monitor Audio speakers, are they really that good?

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I had this amp and CDP combo - lovely. Used for about 6 years. Is now at my sister-in-laws house driving B&W 685s and still sounds lovely. I used to have them into B&W DM303s - the 685s are marginally better in the bass.

I agree with the previous comments about being great at low to medium volume. Would have needed a power amp for louder volume as things started to get "wooley" at higher volumes.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply eternaloptimist. I will be picking up a power amp next and then getting a pair of B&W or Monitor Audio speakers. Are there any speakers that you would recconmend to use with the Arcam system? Thanks

eternaloptimist said:
I had this amp and CDP combo - lovely. Used for about 6 years. Is now at my sister-in-laws house driving B&W 685s and still sounds lovely. I used to have them into B&W DM303s - the 685s are marginally better in the bass.

I agree with the previous comments about being great at low to medium volume. Would have needed a power amp for louder volume as things started to get "wooley" at higher volumes.

Phew! that's a relief - Thought it was just BC and I that admired the A65...
smiley-wink.gif

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry plastic penguin, i'm sure that i will be another person to admire the A65
wink.gif

I already own a Alpha One CDP and Alpha 5+ Amp and i love them so i'm sure the A65 and CD72 will be even better. They should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday next week so i'm really looking forwad to trying them out.

Gareth82 said:
Don't worry plastic penguin, i'm sure that i will be another person to admire the A65
wink.gif

I already own a Alpha One CDP and Alpha 5+ Amp and i love them so i'm sure the A65 and CD72 will be even better. They should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday next week so i'm really looking forwad to trying them out.

I'm sure - bare in mind that the DIVA range has a little different tonal presentation to the Alphas: The Alphas tend to be a little richer, whereas the DIVA range is more open and airy. The exception being the CDPs (your 72 and my 73T) which are slightly warmer. To that end Big Chris was right in suggesting a good cable.

I used to use Chord Chrysalis which was fine, but once I changed to Merlin Chopin it gave the combo more transparency. It won't hide the warmth but gives it better sonic balance. However, they are subtle changes and I wouldn't worry about cables too much until a lot further down the line.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks i'll bear the that in mind. Out of interest do you think i would gaine much by maybe getting a Arcam rDac at a later Date to run the CD72 through? And do you know if the Arcam IR-Ipod Dock is any good? It would be handy to have a Ipod Dock as i have got quiet abit of music on there that i don't own on CD yet. Thanks

Gareth82 said:
Ok thanks i'll bear the that in mind. Out of interest do you think i would gaine much by maybe getting a Arcam rDac at a later Date to run the CD72 through? And do you know if the Arcam IR-Ipod Dock is any good? It would be handy to have a Ipod Dock as i have got quiet abit of music on there that i don't own on CD yet. Thanks

I'm probably the wrong person to ask TBH. I have this built-in fear of DACs, but have a scan through my thread from earlier this year.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dacmagic-and-rdac-yet-to-be-convinced

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks, i'll have a read through that. I was thinking that being such a good CDP the CD72 is that it must have a pritty good Dac built in. I have never used a Dac myself but i know the rDac i ment to be good. I'll read through your thread and see if it answers my question?

Gareth82 said:
Ok thanks, i'll have a read through that. I was thinking that being such a good CDP the CD72 is that it must have a pritty good Dac built in. I have never used a Dac myself but i know the rDac i ment to be good. I'll read through your thread and see if it answers my question?

The built-in DAC is a good one, but like any product it's built to a budget, thus has its limitations.

Personally speaking it's a lack of space that'll make me turn (eventually) to streaming via a DAC. Same time I need a good conventional source to play my existing discs (CDs and DVDs).

FWIW, when I heard MA GX100 recently, I asked the sales assistant about the new Arcam Bluray player. He reckoned the 73T would repoduce music better than the new Bluray.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts