Arcam A18 with SH power amp or A28

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Here's the dliema. I'm about to buy an Acram A18, with a plan to buy a second hand amp to bi-amp my system (somethingk like a P75 or P80). Would this be better than spending more money and going for an A28? Does anyone have any experience of bi-amping an A18? I'ne got around £600 to spend so the A28 would break the bank, although I might be able to squeez to the A28 if there is a big enough differnce between the A18 and A28. If I went for the A28 I would not be able to afford the bi-amping option. My speakers are Tannoy F4s and source is a CA DACMagic. My setup is base heavy due to the room layout, which is why I'm thinking of the bi-amp option, as it would give me more control. Help please. Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you'd need to go as far as the bi-amp option for the F4's, but I supose it'll leave you open for a speaker upgrade later on. Personally, I'd get the best integrated amp you can get, as it's pre-amp section will play an important part in the ultimate quality of the system as a whole.

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I take it you mean that the F4s are not worth the bi-amp option? The acoustics of the room are not very good, so will that mean that I could get away with a poorer amp as the room is small 3m x5m so I don't need lots of heavy base or power.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They will respond to better amplification, but I think adding a power amp is a little over the top for them. I think the A18. or better still A28, will have enough power and control for them. But if you have a chance to try the bi-amped system, do so to put yur own mind at rest.

jasonmiddleton

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
At last some advice that seems to make sence. With all the options around it's hard to decide what to go for and how to get the bext out of my system. I'll have a listen today and then decide. I'm tempted to go for the A18 and just enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts