Apple TV - Optical to 3.5mm mini jack problem.

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Apple TV - Optical to 3.5mm mini jack problem. My Apple TV works perfectly connected to my amp via optical cable. However, I want to use the Apple TV just for music at an event (wifi is available so I can stream either with my iPhone or iTunes Match), I don't want to take my full blown hifi so what I just tested was optical out from Apple TV to 3.5mm Aux in on Bose Wave Radio using an optical to 3.5mm lead (cheap and plasticky from Maplin) but there is no sound, I tried another of the same cable and still nothing. There's nothing wrong with the Apple TV optical out as that works perfectly with my amp and there's nothing wrong with the 3.5mm aux in in the Bose Wave Radio as it works fine with a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead. Anybody out there know how to fix this problem. I don't want alternative ideas as I know I could get a Bluetooth adapter or just connect my iPhone by physically etc..,

Paul.

stuartayling said:
Apple TV - Optical to 3.5mm mini jack problem.
My Apple TV works perfectly connected to my amp via optical cable. However, I want to use the Apple TV just for music at an event (wifi is available so I can stream either with my iPhone or iTunes Match), I don't want to take my full blown hifi so what I just tested was optical out from Apple TV to 3.5mm Aux in on Bose Wave Radio using an optical to 3.5mm lead (cheap and plasticky from Maplin) but there is no sound, I tried another of the same cable and still nothing. There's nothing wrong with the Apple TV optical out as that works perfectly with my amp and there's nothing wrong with the 3.5mm aux in in the Bose Wave Radio as it works fine with a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead. Anybody out there know how to fix this problem. I don't want alternative ideas as I know I could get a Bluetooth adapter or just connect my iPhone by physically etc..,

The lead you have bought is still an optical lead, even though it is 3.5mm. You would need a DAC to convert the optical digital signal in to an analogue signal to be able to plug in to your Bose.

The socket on the Airport Express is dual optical and analogue, on the ATV2 it is not.

John Duncan

Depends which Apple TV it is. Does it look like this:

apple.jpg

or this:

apple-appletv12-rear-lg.jpg

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
It's the latest Apple TV (the one with 1080 rather than 720), the event uses an iPad in a locked case on a Kensington chain, and we were just using a 3.5mm jack from headphone socket into Bose but last time the 3.5mm jack got bent through rough handling so I want a wireless solution from iPad to Bose and as I already have the Apple TV it seemed like the obvious solution. Maybe a DAC is the way to go or maybe a QED uPlay? I want as high a quality sound as possible. Hmmm thinking cap on again :)

Juzzie Wuzzie

Cheapest option would be a Apple Dock Connector to 3.5mm jack so you could take a line out from the iPad (assuming you are not using the latest Lightninig connector).

If you are in central London, you're welcome to borrow an AEX (I seem to have two lying around).

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
Cheapest option would be a bluetooth transmitter plugged into the Bose and then stream via bluetooth from iPad or iPhone

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Stereo-Audio-Receiver-Adapter-for-Speakers-/400227597776?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item5d2f6c7dd0

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it has to be Bluetooth, seen Logitech, Belkin, Harman Kardon, QED, all for sale from £15-60 but I'm worried about sound quality and it seems a shame to use Bluetooth when airplay is built into the apps on iPad etc. Why hasn't Apple hasn't released an adapter?

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Of course Apple Airport Express! I has one of those years ago to stream music from my PC to my system which was then a Yamaha YSP-1000 - it was a bit buggy and then when I got an iPod Colour (showing my age!) I went down the apple universal dock route with its remote control instead. Are the new generations of Apple Airport Express bug free? Many thanks, Stuart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts