Apple Tv+Airport Express question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have my music stored on a desktop pc which I stream to the second system via an AE. I also use a dock/Touch to occasionally listen to music on the main system. I would like to do away with having to have the pc turned on to stream music.

If I got an Apple Tv and connected it to my main system and also wired to the router, would I be able to stream from it to the AE using the Remote app for control? If not is there an easy alternative?

I would like eventually to get a Sonos system (maybe later this year). Would I then be able to attach the Apple Tv (if I get one) to the Sonos network via the router rather than the digital inputs as I would a cd player?

John Duncan

Firstly, the @TV won't work with a Sonos via the network, it would only work via inputs, so scratch that idea.

The Apple TV can work stand alon as it has its own internal storage, but it also works just like an airport express (ie you can stream to it from a switched-on PC), so I'm not sure what you're asking? Although I never tried it, I'm fairly sure that you can stream to an AE using @TV as the source - and on further investigation you can:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3291

A

Anonymous

Thanks JD. The latter part of your reply is just what I was after. I would like to store music on an Apple TV and use it as say a CD autochanger on my main system. I would also like to have the ability to listen to the music in the dining room via the AE without the need for the pc to be on.

Now I just need to decide if this is a good idea or just wait and get a NAS/Sonos set up. mmmm £1000 or just over £200.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Yep, you definitely can. It's what I usually do. I have all my music saved on the hard drive of my Apple TV. You just have to make a wee change in the Apple TV's settings (I can't remember offhand what it was, but I can check if you do end up getting one).

You just turn on the remote app, search for the Apple TV music library rather than your pc library, choose which speakers to play through and away you go. You can also just leave the Apple TV in standby. It works very well.

John Duncan

NSYGrinner:
Thanks JD. The latter part of your reply is just what I was after. I would like to store music on an Apple TV and use it as say a CD autochanger on my main system. I would also like to have the ability to listen to the music in the dining room via the AE without the need for the pc to be on.

Now I just need to decide if this is a good idea or just wait and get a NAS/Sonos set up. mmmm £1000 or just over £200.

Yep, works great and is a real alternative to Sonos if you already have amps etc lying around. Fabulous interface if it's plugged into a telly an' all (it will need to be to get it set up in the first place, and I'd recommend syncing via CAT5 rather than wireless initially), and don't forgot it's high-def movie download capability (though it's limited to 720p OTTOMH - but still looked stonking on a 40" Full HD screen).

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I investigate further with regards prices etc. I've seen some on ebay with larger hard drives swapped into them. I'll also check those out.

The video aspect is a bonus as the little laddo watches some bits and bobs on Touch (the little tv) that stuff could also be stored on the atv for easy viewing. This will free up some space on the Sky box.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I think you can still only rent HD movies from iTunes, and they're about a fiver each, but they are excellent quality, and you don't need to wait for them to fully download before you start watching them.

The remote app on the iphone/touch works very well. I like not having to turn on the tv to select music to watch.

Although I've just bought a netbook, so I'm hoping to be able to stream music from this to my Apple tv/airport express too, so I can see all my music on a bigger screen than the iphone. If that's possible. JD?

John Duncan

Yep, that was how everybody had to do it before they invented the iPod Touch! (though I'm presming it's a windows xp netbook as opposed to a linux one, since you'll need iTunes running in order to do so).

As for HD content, fairly sure you can buy it but it's pretty dear (think 15 quid a pop for 720p without any extras), but I could sit and watch the trailers all day
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:

Thanks guys. I investigate further with regards prices etc. I've seen some on ebay with larger hard drives swapped into them. I'll also check those out.

How legal/ warrentied are @tv that have the larger hard drives? I've been looking into setting up a similar system but was put off by the small hard drive.

John Duncan

bosshogg2000:NSYGrinner:

How legal/ warrentied are @tv that have the larger hard drives? I've been looking into setting up a similar system but was put off by the small hard drive.

Not at all I suspect - though I'd prefer to go down the route of using one of the linux hacks freely available (or bundled for $50 in ATVFlash) which allow you to use the USB port as an external hard drive.

A

Anonymous

I think you're right JD. I'll get a standard 160g model and get that up and running. Then when needs be I'll add in the ATV software and get a portable HDD to squat out of the way.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yep, that was how everybody had to do it before they invented the iPod Touch! (though I'm presming it's a windows xp netbook as opposed to a linux one, since you'll need iTunes running in order to do so).

Yeah, windows xp netbook. I've got a desktop pc with all my music on it. The netbook will only contain some of it. It'll be ok to have two computers with iTunes which can both stream to the Apple TV (obviously not at the same time)?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

'effing 'ell. It looks like the Apple Tv will have to be delayed. The 360 has just the red ring of death. What a great birthday it's turned out to be
emotion-6.gif
. Looks like Sam Fisher will have to stay in the wrapper for a while. My 360 is more than 3 years old and it's not a replacement.

John Duncan

rob_981:
JohnDuncan:Yep, that was how everybody had to do it before they invented the iPod Touch! (though I'm presming it's a windows xp netbook as opposed to a linux one, since you'll need iTunes running in order to do so).

Yeah, windows xp netbook. I've got a desktop pc with all my music on it. The netbook will only contain some of it. It'll be ok to have two computers with iTunes which can both stream to the Apple TV (obviously not at the same time)?

Thanks

Yep, you can link up as many as you like.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts