Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
keep-calm-and-hate-apple-4.png

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
-1 for Apple here too. Far more dangerous and insidious an organisation andf adept at legalised embezzlement than all the cable companies and some put together.

If you think Apple is evil, do some research in Google's direction.

'Don't be evil' is the most inappropriate strapline for any company, ever.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone hates Apple apparently. But it goes round in circles, not long ago it was Microsoft. But as for killing off Spotify's free service, I'm surprised it hasn't gone long ago anyway. Their approach seems to be to lure people in with the free service then hope they'll join the subscription service. But stats show that the vast majority do not join a subscription service and are more than happy with the ad-supported free service, which I understand from reading betwen the lines doesn't make Spotify enough money.

manicm

Oh stop with the Apple hating bile already. The truth is, whether through Spotify or Apple or Pandora or anything else, it's the thugging and thieving LABELS that end up with most of the royalties. If you REALLY want to support artists point the hate towards record bosses. That's where the buck stops but the evil starts.

This is small, small news.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Everyone hates Apple apparently. But it goes round in circles, not long ago it was Microsoft. But as for killing off Spotify's free service, I'm surprised it hasn't gone long ago anyway. Their approach seems to be to lure people in with the free service then hope they'll join the subscription service. But stats show that the vast majority do not join a subscription service and are more than happy with the ad-supported free service, which I understand from reading betwen the lines doesn't make Spotify enough money.

The Major is right.

The business model of Spotify was always dodgy. There were always going to be competitors, and we knew Apple was lurking ever since it bought Beats.

The idea that you can get free music, FREE MUSIC, on the internet is nonsense. This is just the beginning of a big shake-down in the music streaming world. No point in hating Apple. People have short memories: who started the whole music download thing? Apple. And Apple will probably finish it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I also remember youtube in the early days when you could create videos with background music longer that 5 sec. without penalties and bans.

iMark

At least with radio you know that either your licence fee or tax is used to pay royalties when a song is played. Or in the case of commercial radio advertising money is used to pay royalties.

Nepheler

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
manicm said:
Oh stop with the Apple hating bile already. The truth is, whether through Spotify or Apple or Pandora or anything else, it's the thugging and thieving LABELS that end up with most of the royalties. If you REALLY want to support artists point the hate towards record bosses. That's where the buck stops but the evil starts.

Second!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
matt49 said:
The idea that you can get free music, FREE MUSIC, on the internet is nonsense.

So what's radio then???

Radio isn't free: it's paid for by taxation or advertising.

Spotify's free service is notionally paid for by advertising but in reality the revenues are nowhere near enough. Spotify is effectively giving people free music funded by debt. That's not viable.

D

Deleted member 116933

Spotify are doing the job of killing themselfs just fine! Apple will be doing them a favour maybe they will actually make money out of it for the first time since opening the store. If paying a fee brings better quality to the service and sound from both apple and Spotify then happy days.

Apple have alot of catching up to do as spotify are built right into a lot a hifi electronics and out of convience people will just sign up to them if they elbolished the free service. Also Apple restrictions are pretty hefty on manufactures (airpaly for example) so you will find that most wont use them for a while at least. (manufacture wise)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:

+1

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
jjbomber said:
matt49 said:
The idea that you can get free music, FREE MUSIC, on the internet is nonsense.

So what's radio then???

Radio isn't free: it's paid for by taxation or advertising.

Spotify's free service is notionally paid for by advertising but in reality the revenues are nowhere near enough. Spotify is effectively giving people free music funded by debt. That's not viable.

Well other providers do the same, Deezer has 1 year free with no adverts, thats why I use because Spotify ads really get on my nerves. There are loads of others like Rdio which I used to use. Whether any are viable is good question, Im surprised that so many are still going.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Well other providers do the same, Deezer has 1 year free with no adverts, thats why I use because Spotify ads really get on my nerves. There are loads of others like Rdio which I used to use. Whether any are viable is good question, Im surprised that so many are still going.

I'd be very surprised if Deezer is profitable.

As far as the music biz is concerned, there's an important difference between radio and Freemium streaming. Music companies don't mind making a loss on plays of their content on the radio; this is because they see radio as a showcase which will lead consumers to buy the product. Freemium on demand streaming, however, is a destination for consumers: it isn't a route to new sales. So the music biz would rather kill off Freemium streaming, if it could.

They are however caught in a trap, because they're afraid that without Freemium streaming people will just revert to piracy.

From Apple's point of view it makes sense to target Freemium streaming. Apple will not launch a Freemium service: it makes no financial sense to do so. But Freemium services do represent competition for Apple's new streaming service (whenever it arrives). Hence this attempt to get the record companies to end their deals with Spotify.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts