APPLE AIRPORT BUM ACHE!!!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys iv had the airport express for 3 days now and only had it working for 20 mins. I got the airport initially set up and then when i turned off my computer it could not see it again. This has led to multiple resets and reinstalls and i still cant get it to work. According to my computer geek house mate " there is not a problem connecting to the express just a problem talking to it after the changes have been made (it logs off and then cant reconnect)". I am trying to get it to join my current network and it just does not work. I even tried giving it an ip address and it still seems to think something is wrong and will not reconnect! Any one know if i am doing something blatantly wrong? I feel that this is probibly the worst 50 pounds ever spent!!

A

Anonymous

Hi there,
I'm not sure "Hi-Fi" is the right forum to discuss this but no matter,

First of all, could you provide a little more detail as to the configuration and components of your network?

Do you use a PC or a Mac to set up the Airport?

What setting do you use ?

Are the software and firmware of the Airport and the drivers for your computer up to date?

Can you describe the process that leads you to lose the conection?

Normally the basic operation of the Airport should be relatively fuss-free, (just don't ask about the AirDisk feature of the Extreme that I have), but sometimes they have their glitches, but I'm sure it can be worked out.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Funny you should mention that i just spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to get an apple extreme base station to work wirelessly, believe me it was an abosolute nightmare ! (i missed most of the Bathurst v8 race dicking around with it and that race was 7 hours long!)...Its working now ,all green lights are on and its worked ever since Sunday night first time everytime..Bear with me and i'll try and remember how i did it..It would recognise the ip address but no way would it allow an internet connection.I think 'extreme' must stand for 'extremely frustrating'...Anyway the memory bank coggs in my head are churning, i'll try to remember.

John Duncan

This does not tally with my experience, though my network (at the time) was apple-only. If I recall it was working ok when you just used the PC and the airport express, but you had issues when you added in the router, is that right? This does tally somewhat with my experience, though it righted itself quickly - what's the router?

A

Anonymous

Assuming you have a functioning wireless network at the minute

disconnect from your existing network

join the network created by the AEÿ

set the AE to join the existing network ( I think extend might work too)ÿ

The trick is that once you get the airport express to join an existing network it becomes invisible.

Then reconnect to your old network and set iTunes to look for AirTunes speakers

They should appear bottom right in iTunes the you are set.

ÿ

The disappearing wifi network makes sense, but can be confusing.ÿEssentially you are changing the mode of the AE from base station to client if you set it to join.ÿOnce it is a client it no longer broadcasts the name or SSID. If you set it to extend, it'll seem to disappear too, but it is actually seamlessly broadcasting the same name (kind of like RDS and FM radio)

Try that and see if it worksÿ

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
and watch out for the wifi 'update' that arrives a few days later as it cuts you off and have to start all over again...another 3 hours Grrrrr but it s working just fine now, now if only i could get the ps3 to work wirelessly.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
ha ha! I thought they removed it because of the title! Yeah ive still had no luck with mine. Im going to try and install it onto my other laptop. If not im binning it. Waste of time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts