Apologies to my B&W CM1

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
In a recent post I wrote that my old CM1s were dull sounding compared to my more modern speaker purchases.

After hours of warming them up during the weekend and this evening, after two to three years of neglect, I can offer an unreserved apology to my CM1s that I was far too quick to make my judgement call the other day.

I feel that I have been swayed by modern speakers ... with their promises of sweet highs, great mids and tight bass. They were exciting at first but then it turned all demanding on me ... ''I don't like that music, I don't like that amp, I'm too close to the wall, I'm too far from the wall''.

I know now that I've been neglecting my CM1s. We're currently bonding again. I don't mind the fact that their bass response is making everything that isn't nailed down in my room rattle like hell. It's actually reminding me of good old times. I don't even mind the dent in the tweeter dome where my mate's kid went for some ''press for action'' interaction years ago.

Sillines over ... the truth right now is I'm wondering why I felt so inclined to replace them.*fool*

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
But what if the CM1 S2 are more exciting?

Just been on the B&W website and the CM1 S2 says it better than the original CM1 ... at everything.

Anyway, just goes to show how your drivers can go tight, like old engines that haven't been turned over.

Been playing music for two hours and no ear-ringing nausea from the CM1s at all. Even the Qute HD DAC has been on USB from the Mac all that time and hasn't stopped once. Kind of a good listening day all round.

I'm just playing a song called Stays by Nils Frahm which is nearly all high frequencies with just a touch of mid and bass. The CM1s are ploughing along and I'm not getting fatigued at all.

Getting back to that ribbon tweeter stuff, I really do wonder why speaker companies are playing on the 50-60 Khz response stuff? Maybe it's so your pet dog or a passing bat can marvel at it all.

There are some products called Townshend Audio Maximum Supertweeters with a 90 Khz response and the website gallery photos show them coupled to some PMC twenty.22. Why? Do they think Peter Thomas had made a glaring error when he designed the PMC twenty series?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The old CM1 was very contraversial because of the voicing B&W gave it. The S2 has a better tweeter (with protective mesh) and slightly more neutral character. Changing the tonal character is as easy as changing a resistor value in the crossover.

1138895958.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L78O9SiB0g

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Been playing for 3 hours now and still enjoying the CM1. Forgot to mention that they've never been fed bi-wired from a proper power amp before. It's a pretty decent combo. Surprising what you can discover by swapping your kit around.

Another thing I've noticed is that the stereo image is great. Slightly pointed inwards but not directly at me.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When I had the CM1 without their original stands FS-700/CM, on which they get fastened down with hefty screws, they boomed excesively. The stands are all aluminium except the foot which is heavy cast iron! I filled the stands with sand, put them on spikes and got much much better definition and tight bass. These are not bookshelf speakers that you just leave on things. With the stands together they really do make a complete speaker system.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
When I had the CM1 without their original stands FS-700/CM, on which they get fastened down with hefty screws, they boomed excesively. The stands are all aluminium except the foot which is heavy cast iron! I filled the stands with sand, put them on spikes and got much much better definition and tight bass. These are not bookshelf speakers that you just leave on things. With the stands together they really do make a complete speaker system.
In total agreement about the stands.

The bass is very good when the CM1's are fixed the the stands.

A very cool & stylish combination............
dirol.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Good The Bowers & Wilkins CM1 S2 are gorgeous-looking speakers with great build quality. The sound is mostly even with good mid-range detail and a surprising amount of bass. They're compact and suitable for smaller rooms. The revised tweeter and tweeter guard are welcome innovations.

The Bad The speakers can be prone to sibilance with the "wrong" music because of its pronounced treble response. They feel a tad too expensive, especially in light of their more affordable siblings, the B&W 685 S2s.

The Bottom Line The Bowers & Wilkins CM1 S2 speakers look great and sound terrific, but they aren't the best choice for rockers.

What you get for your money is a beautifully-built pair of speakers with some nifty improvements over the previous generation--that grille-covered dome tweeter is a much-needed addition--and a detailed sound that doesn't sacrifice bass response in the process. There's only a trace of sibilance in not-so-pristine recordings that could spoil things. Keep in mind that if you're not bothered by a more-utilitarian cabinet and yet want to keep most of the sound quality intact the cheaper 685 S2 offers a very good alternative.

http://www.cnet.com/products/bowers-and-wilkins-cm1-s2/

Seems like the S2 went the modern, detailed, bright and clear sound, unlike the oldschool holistic aproach of the S1. Also I think they no longer have the metal threaded inserts at the bottom for fastening to their factory stands.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
the cm1 are very classy speakers, not to everyones tastes as they are smooth sounding and i.m guessing a bit to bass heavy for some, but nonetheless they are never fatiging look great and i suspect would stand many an upgrade with pricier systems. i intend on keeping mine when i go back to separates so well done adam for rediscovering yours

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I tried some CM5, probably around 2008. I got the CM1 in 2006. I was completely underwhelmed by the CM5. It was exactly the same demo room where I tried the CM1. I can't really recall much about the sound from that time but I do remember the salesman reckoned the demo room used to damp down bass.

But the bass response of the CM1 was better in the same demo room.

I'm glad I never went for the CM5. I'm glad I never sold the CM1 over the years.

Just read the review of the CM6 S2. Not a glowing report, especially for what would be £2k including the matching stands.

When I look and listen closely to my PMC twenty 22 ... there's just this aura of old school know-how about them. They are the speakers it took me six years to find. I reckon six years from now they'll still be in my main system and have few rivals on the market.

But the CM1 will live in my second system. Familiar and reliable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts