Apex vs RX6 AV12

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I auditioned the MA Apex speakers this weekend and thought they were very good. They were auditioned with the Onkyo 808 amp - is there any others that anybody would reccomend?

I was also wondering how does the system compare against Monitor Audio's other larger package the RX6 AV12? The speaker will be placed in a c 3m x 3m sqaure as part of a larger room.

thanks,

Kam

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Kbansil and welcome. You've picked out 2 great speaker packages to choose from. The main criteria are going to be room size and amp budget (assuming that you're going down the home cinema route). The Onk is a great amp but both packages you'vementioned will benefit from even better receivers such as the Pioneer SC-LX73 or 83 and the Yamaha RXV2067 or 3067.

You say that your looking at a 3x3m listening space but within a bigger room?

kbansil:
Hi all,

I auditioned the MA Apex speakers this weekend and thought they were very good. They were auditioned with the Onkyo 808 amp - is there any others that anybody would reccomend?

I was also wondering how does the system compare against Monitor Audio's other larger package the RX6 AV12? The speaker will be placed in a c 3m x 3m sqaure as part of a larger room.

thanks,

Kam

Hi Kam

If its a dedicated sub/sat package you require then the Apex series is formidable. However if you have the room available then the Silver RX6 AV12 package overall offers an even greater level of performance with movie/music soundtracks over the already impressive Apex speakers.

Btw, the TX-NR808 is a good amp however if you are also in the market for an amplifier then Yamaha's RX-V2067 and RX-V3067 i feel will offer even greater levels of performance.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kam

With the Apex being a sub/sat system, it'll have numerous benefits over the RX package as far as movie soundtracks are concerned - movie soundtracks are mastered on sub/sat systems. The RX package will be beneficial if music is an important requirement.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry to cut in on the tread.. but is there a huge upgrade from the Radius HD to the Apex? With my system do you think i'd benefit more from a change from the radius HD to Apex or upgrading my AVR 1910 to something better?

Cheers,

Mick

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
micks_address:
Hi guys, sorry to cut in on the tread.. but is there a huge upgrade from the Radius HD to the Apex? With my system do you think i'd benefit more from a change from the radius HD to Apex or upgrading my AVR 1910 to something better?

Cheers,

Mick

I asked this question last week as I use R90s for my rears. I was told that it's a big step up in class. As for your receiver, I would say you need to step up to at least two levels on the Denon range to hear your speakers sing.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i'll keep my eye out for a good value denon 3310.. i dont need hdmi 1.4 so hopefully will be able to pick up a bargain

Gerrardasnails:micks_address:

Cheers,

Mick
I asked this question last week as I use R90s for my rears. I was told that it's a big step up in class. As for your receiver, I would say you need to step up to at least two levels on the Denon range to hear your speakers sing.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I upgraded my Radius to Apex and WOW what a difference.

I have kept the R90HD as rears though, as they work well.

Im using a 3310 and it works a treat with the Apex although i feel a receiver upgrade would really allow the Apex to perform even better. Something like a Denon 4810 or Arcam AVR 500.

I will keep on dreaming
emotion-2.gif

michael hoy

ric71:

Hi,

I upgraded my Radius to Apex and WOW what a difference.

I have kept the R90HD as rears though, as they work well.

Im using a 3310 and it works a treat with the Apex although i feel a receiver upgrade would really allow the Apex to perform even better. Something like a Denon 4810 or Arcam AVR 500.

I will keep on dreaming
emotion-2.gif

Hi,

I have the Apex system in a 5.1 configuration, and yes this is a truly awsome package.

I listened to the Apex on an Onkyo 608 and an Arcam AVR500 before purchasing and the Apex sound fantastic with the Arcam. I changed from a Denon 1909 to a Pioneer SC-LX72 and again this is a fantastic combination.

A

Anonymous

I have the sc-lx72 and rx6 pack and love it, I might have went for the apex, but TBH my room is about 4-5 meters from viewing and about 14m to the side, so wanted the bigger speakers.

Amazing combo, and just bought dark side of the moon to test audio sacd, WOW!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Tried them both with pioneer sc lx82 amp and the sonic differences for me were very apparent. The Rx had a more full sound due to the larger cabinets (tried without sub) The apex would be a great compromise however. The musical performance of the rx was in my opinion a marked improvement. They both look fantastic but the RX ticked all my boxes!!

A

Anonymous

All,

Thanks for the responses. The tv + speakers will be in a c 3m by 3m square space withiin a bigger room which is much wider. For that room size which package would be best assuming system will be mainly for home cinema use rather than music?

I am happy to spend more on the amp if it delivers a real improvement? I was told the pioneer lx73 can sound a bit bright with the APEX package?

Frank - I would have thought the RX package due to being full size cabinets deliver much better sound even for home cinema?

thanks all

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think you need to audition both sets of speakers. They both have merits but dont underestimate the Apex package. It is not like any other style system out there. I think you will be as surprised as I was!!!!

A

Anonymous

I would like to second that. These speakers need a high powered top amp to get the best from them. I have moved up to an Onkyo 3008 and the Apex speakers (in a 9.1 config) and they dont miss a beat (pun intended). If I had the funds then I would have tried moving up even higher (perhaps the Onkyo seperate pre/power combination).

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool, now that's a system I would love to hear or see pics of. Are you using A10's all round with A40 centre? Stands or not?
Ric

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
kbansil:
All,

Thanks for the responses. The tv + speakers will be in a c 3m by 3m square space withiin a bigger room which is much wider. For that room size which package would be best assuming system will be mainly for home cinema use rather than music?

I am happy to spend more on the amp if it delivers a real improvement? I was told the pioneer lx73 can sound a bit bright with the APEX package?

Frank - I would have thought the RX package due to being full size cabinets deliver much better sound even for home cinema?

thanks all

Apex sound bright with the Pioneer lx73 !!!!! not that old chestnut again. I wouldn't take that from hearsay.

Common misconception that bigger speaker are better due to size. The point that Frank has often described in the past is that movie soundtracks are designed on Sub/sat systems meaning a good sub/sat system will out perform full range HiFi speakers for movies. A sub/sat system will not better a full range system for 2 channel stereo music however a good sub/sat will be more than adequate for most peoples taste with music. I can personally vouch for this as in the past i have upgraded a full range Mission 752 , 75c , 751 limited edition + Rel sub combination with a Miller & Kreisel K7 sub/sat system and the MK's were a step up in performance at a fraction of the size of the missions. Do not let the size of the apex be an issue they should be able to compete competitively with their bigger brothers.

A

Anonymous

The Apex speakers are all wall mounted (8 x A10, 1 x A40 and 1 x AWE12 sub).

I noticed that you have a Denon 3310. I originally purchased a Denon 3311 to go with these. A great amp but had to return it as I had a compatibility problem with my Samsung TV.

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Kam,

I just received my Apex system last Saturday. They are definetly worth the money. The sound is simply AWESOME!!!!!!! Much better than anything i've heard in a very long time. And the speakers are built beautifully. I love the A40, looks cool on my wall....

The package i purchased - MA APEX 5.1, Denon AVR-3311, 4x Apex stands, 21m QED XT Evolution cable, HDMI cables = total cost £3700. I got a huge discount thanks to my retailer and my haggling skills ;-)

Go for a demo and listen for yourself.

Definetly worth the money IMO. And as you continue to use them, they'll sound even better.

Harps

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
kbansil:

Found this from MK Sound Pdf page 45

A

Anonymous

Excellent - welcome to the Apex club. Just be aware that the Denon 3311 amp has a compatibility issue with certain Samsung TV's

A

Anonymous

Thanks - i will probably audition them with the pioneer lx73 / 83 amp vs the Onkyo 808

Is there any others i should try? According to What Hifi the Yamaha isn't up there with the Onkyo and Pioneer amps....

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
9.1 Apex wicked!! Yep 3310 works a treat with the Apex.
I plan to eventually go 7.1 Apex but gonna take my time as not sure what config to go for ie surround back, front height or DSX wide!!

Wouldn't mind another MJ sub either but not made of £ and don't want a divorce !

A

Anonymous

All,

Ordered the Apex system with the yamaha 3067 amp from Musicraft....

Thanks for the comments/ suggestions....

KB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts