Anyone with experience of Sony KDL50W656 or KDL50W685

simrae

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my aging Samsung LE40A656, a TV that has served us well, with an excellent (for the time) image - unfortunately it looks like it is having some backlight issues. So the time has come to replace it - and as we're moving to a large house - a chance to upsize to something in the 46-50" range. I don't want to spend buckets of money (£900 max). I want to stick with LCD, as I use the screen for computer use.

It's really tough choosing one at the moment - I've read loads of reviews, but it doesn't make it any easier - no one manufacturer seems to excel in all areas, instead you have to chose on a model by model basis! I have seen the Sony KDL50W685 at our local Curry's branch, which looks like a really nice TV - but it's impossible to judge picture quality in these stores.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/sony-bravia-kdl50w685abu-smart-3d-50-led-tv-21660471-pdt.html

My priority is 2D picture quality - we might dabble with 3D, but it's not critical (the KDL50W656 appears to be identical, minus 3D, so would be a cheaper option). The problem is I haven't been able to find any reviews of these actuals models - so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them? Or any other suggestion!

Thanks for your help!

akiproud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Simrae,

HDTV have a test for the 42W653 which is the same spec as the 50, it scores very well and (so far) measures as this years lowest lag input figure so It'll be fantastic for gaming (gonna treat myself to either the 42 or 50 in the new year to go with my PS4!);

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

At the minute the best deal around for a new 42W653 is £489 and the 50W656 £749, both from Amazon.

Hope this helps!

:)

greysunday

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering buying this tv very soon and if it is the same spec as in the review for the W6 range then I will. The reason being in 18mths-2years time I plan to get a Sony 4K once they dispense of the speakers, come down in price and native content and disc format is sorted across manufactures.

acekid500

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
smiley-frown.gif
got this tv a week ago, 2d performance is awful good definition but motion blur & judder is the worst ive seen yet & there's no motion flow option to sort it out, couldn't even make out what was going on while watching the football what the 200hz is doing is anyones guess, this tv is nothing more than a bush with a sony badge on the front a waste of money avoid

TRENDING THREADS