Anyone using a Creek 5350 (latest 2010 model)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... and if so, what do you use it with and what do you think?

Also be interested in your thoughts about the optional MM phono stage.

Thanks

regards

DIB has one, and i daresay it's newer than 2010, although can't be totally sure.

Re: phono stages, I know when I home dem'd they were charging about £130 (approx) to fit a phono card to the Evo2. They are probably one of the only amps below a grand (Evo2) that you could call a genuine keeper.

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed this. Congrats. Should be fabulous. The Creek should be pretty flexible regards speakers: Your hated MAs sound really good with them, Epos, Focal...

What speakers do you currently have?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks.

@ PP - I use my modified MS10i/20i Pearls as well as Usher S520.

@DIB - Glad to hear you enjoy yours. This one is s/h, 18months old and fitted with the MC board ... exactly the one I don't need:)

Not sure why I got it to be honest, saw it a few mins before the auction ended and just ... bid, as you do. I am actually very happy with my current amplifier, a Sony STR DB930, also slightly modded, especially happy with the phono stage. Can't quite imagine where the creek will improve upon. Power is nigh-on the same and even the DAC's are great. Perhaps a tiny bit more mid-range warmth and bass slam would be good but I really dislike uncontrolled bass, the reason I sold my Denon (1510AE).

I like a cohesive, natural, dynamic sound with good micro dynamics. Will I get that?

Mmmmh, paid £420 for the Creek so I guess I can always sell it on :)

regards

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
I like a cohesive, natural, dynamic sound with good micro dynamics. Will I get that?

Mmmmh, paid £420 for the Creek so I guess I can always sell it on :)

regards

I think so, though not quite sure what micro dynamics are mind
smiley-smile.gif

£420 is not a bad price, the last Evo 2 I saw go on the bay went for about £380/£390 so I'm sure you wont lose out if you pass it on.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes I do indeed have the latest model, bought new last year when Lintone Audio were selling them for virtually half price (£680 vs £1250).

As a previous Evo 2 owner I'm a big Creek fan. I love the superbly detailed, neutral presentation coupled with the fairly simple looks. I find the 5350 and Evo 2 CDP combination irresistable, I can't imagine changing that particular pairing for anything else within that budget.

As you can see I have an old Rega P3 TT but that is my least used source, its just every so often I have an urge to play the odd LP or two. I have the Creek Sequel 40 board (£100) fitted, which is a two minute job to sort. Personally I don't think there's much to choose between phono stages at the £100-£200 mark so the Creek board is a more than capable performer at that price range and is one less box to worry about.

Are you thinking of joining the Creek club?
smiley-smile.gif

PS: also just noticed that you've actually got one! Nice, is yours new, ex-demo, 2nd hand ? If you were near Manchester you could come and hear mine with the MM board fitted.

PPS: I meant Sequel 40 not Sequel 48 (sorry)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Micro dynamics, for a worse word, are the little hints in music, like the tapping of guitar, a subtle drum strike etc that should be dynamic rather than flat and recessed.

I guess this takes us way into subjective territory but it harks back to my time with a valve amplifier, the better ones which excell at making music alive and interesting rather than concentrating on a 'mechanical' reproduction of bass, mid and highs ... as many (but not all) solid state amplifiers do.

The cyrus 8vs2 I had did make nice, exciting music, the big Denon was, in comparison, going slightly through the motions and was uninvolving. Compared to both my current and some past amplifiers.

regards

TRENDING THREADS