Anyone used Rothwell attenuators to good effect?

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sat here listening to music through my Vortexbox via USB into my HRT Music Streamer II, at a reasonable level, yet with the volume control not even at 8 o'clock.

Ive read a few things and reviews about using Rothwell 10db attenuators (http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html) to enable you to get the volume control a bit higher and away from the problematic lower extreme, but has anyone got any first hand experience of this, and did it make any difference?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I used them with my old amp & CD and found they allowed a greater degree of control of the volume, also enjoyed the detailed sound they produced.

Still got them somewhere, I might dig them out and try them with my existing stuff.

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Chris, thinking I might give them a go.

Some stuff on web says they may soften the sound a little, but with Audiolab/MA combo that may not be a bad thing!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I used a pair of attenuators between my pre amp and power amp because of excessive gain, they worked at treat.

Although I went with Goldenjacks, they are just as good, about half the price and Iain who runs the company and makes them provided me with unrivalled customer service.

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reply, have fired an email off to Goldenjacks. Looking at a table of outputs to input sensitivity, I may need to go a bit higher that -10db, as the 8000a is rated at 100mv input sensitivity.

nopiano said:
I think Russ Andrews does similar, in a variety of attenuations, which would probably be covered by their 60 day trial. They aren't cheap though.

What is at Russ Andrews?

Stick with Rothwells they are probably the best (certainly the original). I've got a pair between my Pre and Power amps at present as a necessity. I can here no 'improvement' in SQ but much better control over volume particularly when late night listening.

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I used a pair of attenuators between my pre amp and power amp because of excessive gain, they worked at treat.

Although I went with Goldenjacks, they are just as good, about half the price and Iain who runs the company and makes them provided me with unrivalled customer service.

+1

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nlanks said:
I'm sat here listening to music through my Vortexbox via USB into my HRT Music Streamer II, at a reasonable level, yet with the volume control not even at 8 o'clock.

Ive read a few things and reviews about using Rothwell 10db attenuators (http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html) to enable you to get the volume control a bit higher and away from the problematic lower extreme, but has anyone got any first hand experience of this, and did it make any difference?

Use them with care!

They are simple L Pad Attenuators, and if they do not match the impedance characteristics of the equipment being used you could introduce frequency response undulations, sometimes severe. Early HF attenuation and droop being one!

Also it can matter as to which end of the cable you stick them on, but that may be mentioned in the instructions perhaps?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I used the Goldenjacks on a previous amp to good effect with regards to volume control. I did find they made a subtle difference to the sound, can't remember exactly what now, it was a few years ago. Not better or worse, just different.

A

Anonymous

I have this problem on my AR setup,

Interesting, will look into this!

A

Anonymous

What I don't understand is, assuming the input voltage isn't high enough to clip in the intput, why you'd want to intentionally increase the signal to noise ratio of your system?

Yes it gives you greater scope in your volume control but really that's it. Isn't it?

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would update my thread with my end result...

Ended up buying 2 pairs of Goldenjacks -10dB attenuators. Iain's customer service is superb - he is clearly a very knowledgeable enthusiast, who is happy to advise on what's best for your equipment (and in fact any other hifi topic we wandered off into discussing!)

They are available through his eBay shop, or a bit cheaper direct (£22 per set inc postage). Very reasonable price. Made to order and received within a week.

So what do they do to the sound?

In terms of volume control I now hover around the 10 o'clock point, which has given me a greater range of control. Not sure if the balance is better as some say it is further up the volume control, though wouldn't really know what I was looking for.

The best thing about them though is the sonic improvement they have brought on some tracks. With some high notes, for example on a couple of Adele tracks and some classical pieces, the treble used to get what I would describe as "wincing" and harsh. I had for a while put this down to the brightness of my Audiolab and MA combination, and was wondering what equipment changes I could make to bring some warmer / smoother components in without compromising the clarity and detail I had.

This I now understand though is due to the inputs being overloaded due to the mismatch between source output (2.2v) and amp input sensitivity (100mV). With the attenuators fitted I have played these tracks again and again and they are now listenable, and in fact sound great. The sibilance is cured!

My system now sounds as beautiful as I hoped it always would on ALL tracks, and for only £22 is probably the most cost effective thing I have bought for my hi fi - certainly a cheaper and easier solution than going through another upgrade round to try and solve the issue.

My advice therefore is if you have a similar issue to mine, contact Iain at Goldenjacks now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts