Anyone had a demo with a Yamaha RX-V3900 and a Pioneer SC-LX81 AV receivers?

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I have heard the Yamaha RX-V3900 and the ONKYO TX-SR876 in a demo and the won Yamaha hands-down for richness, warmth and spectrum/depth of sound.

The build quality of the Yamaha RX-V3900 is top flight, a solid aluminum box with good control motion. The Pioneer SC-LX81 does not seem to be of such a redoubtable construction, but does have THX® Ultra2 Plus and some other appealing features that the Yamaha does not.

It is unlikely I can demo the Yamaha RX-V3900 and the Pioneer SC-LX81 together, so would value opinions of people who have run a demo with both in the same space and/or bought one over the other and why.

I will be using the system to play as CDs as much as watch films. I tend to prefer a warm sound and previously had an Arcam CD Player and high-end NAD hi-fi system.

I am pairing the Amp with a Pioneer BDP-LX91 Blue-ray player.

Cheers, Sonic Dreamer.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

having done this comparison myself recently (with the help of my local Audio Ex.) I think that you will find that the Yamaha is much better with CD. Very little between them I think as far as BR movies are concerned.

I have the Yamaha on order (and a Denon 2500BT). Hope that helps ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sonic

THX is one benefit of the Pioneer, but only really if you'll be using a THX package at some point in the future. Also, the full benefit is only really realised when using the system at or near reference levels, tending to make a system sound dull if not played loud enough.

One benefit of the Yamaha, other than it's superior processing, is that you can choose different crossover points for different speakers, making it much more compatible with more types of speaker packages. With a single crossover point, you're limited to sub/sat systems and systems where the speakers are of a similar capability. It's digital amplification can drive speakers that some amps might struggle with, and sound pretty tight and fast, but will lose a little warmth to the Yamaha, which is no slouch in the speed department anyway.

Other than these points, they're both excelent amplifiers, but we'd fall on the Yamaha side, as it tends to immerse you a little more in what's going on, sounding more convincing than other alternatives.

A

Anonymous

I tested both when looking to buy a new amp and went with the Yamaha in the end. Not much to tell between them in terms of sound (the Yamaha was slightly richer and warmer) but the Yamaha had just a few more features which suited me better over the Pioneer and seemed and seemed a bit more user freindly. Including being able to pass through the sound and picture to the TV when the amp is off which the Pioneer does not do.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Hi Sonic

THX is one benefit of the Pioneer, but only really if you'll be using a THX package at some point in the future. Also, the full benefit is only really realised when using the system at or near reference levels, tending to make a system sound dull if not played loud enough.

One benefit of the Yamaha, other than it's superior processing, is that you can choose different crossover points for different speakers, making it much more compatible with more types of speaker packages. With a single crossover point, you're limited to sub/sat systems and systems where the speakers are of a similar capability. It's digital amplification can drive speakers that some amps might struggle with, and sound pretty tight and fast, but will lose a little warmth to the Yamaha, which is no slouch in the speed department anyway.

Other than these points, they're both excelent amplifiers, but we'd fall on the Yamaha side, as it tends to immerse you a little more in what's going on, sounding more convincing than other alternatives.

Cheers Dave, deeper immersion with the Yamaha sounds good.

SonicD

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Big Group Test of the Pioneer SC-LX81 vs Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Rotel RSX-1550 vs Sony STR-DA5400ES coming up in the June issue of the mag, on sale next week. Very interesting result.
emotion-5.gif

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough:Big Group Test of the Pioneer SC-LX81 vs Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Rotel RSX-1550 vs Sony STR-DA5400ES coming up in the June issue of the mag, on sale next week. Very interesting result.
emotion-5.gif

WOW, What Hi-fi have impeccable timing, guess which shelf on WH Smiths I will be beating an enthusiastic path to next week. Only trouble is the dealer I want to buy my system from does not stock Sony, hummph.

SonicD.

I have demoed the Pioneer SC-LX81 & Yamaha RX-V3900. Both are very different in their characteristics. Pioneer was very bright sounding, while Yamaha was warm and rich. Yamaha was my choice, as I don't like bright sounding units (tires me out after a while). Yamaha was also far better with music. I think it's better to pair the Pioneer with large speakers for a better experience, if you prefer the treble.

A

Anonymous

Agreed. I also ended up with the Yamaha RX-V3900. Both were rated 5 Stars by WHF so you wouldn't go wrong either way. It all depends on what speakers you're pairing the AV Receiver with and which sound you prefer. The firmware of the Yamaha has also been updated a couple of times to add additional features and improve performance.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:Big Group Test of the Pioneer SC-LX81 vs Yamaha RX-V3900 vs Rotel RSX-1550 vs Sony STR-DA5400ES coming up in the June issue of the mag, on sale next week. Very interesting result.
emotion-5.gif

Will we get a preview on this site first?

BTW, what happened to the online review of the Yamaha 3900?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hallo,

I am looking for an upgrade of my Onkyo 606. I am considering the Denon 4308A or will I be better off with the Yamaha RX-V3900 or Z7?

I also will upgrade my speakers from Canton to Phonar P5's with subwoofer. My blu rayplayer is a Denon 3800BD.

Bart

A

Anonymous

Definitely the Yamaha RX-V3900 or if you can stretch your budget, the Z7. Both have received good reviews and 5 Star ratings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts