Anyone else like the Krell S-350a CDP?

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I've currently got a Krell S-350a CD player on loan. Has anyone else got one / heard one?

I am astonished by the overall detail, musicality, punchiness and transparency of the player. Midrange is startlingly clear with vocals especially very well reproduced and tactile in quality. Weighing in at 12 kg the build quality is very high. Is this the best CDP available under £3500 currently? There are few reviews available anywhere although the player is readily available it seems so I am not sure why this is? What else should I audition in comparison? I do not want to spend over my £3500 budget.

Lovely machine. Krell's always were built like tanks. Well designed and good looking in a funny sort of way.

Cannot say I have heard the CD player (just a few amps).

I would say that (under £3000) it might have trouble from the Bel Canto CD2.

Well, if my fifteen year old 300cd expired I'd be looking very closely. I would add that if you can justify the expense, you'll never wonder if you could have done better. That is my overarching experience with mine, which has had one service at c £180 in that time

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know what you mean!

I'm actually finding it quite ADDICTIVE to listen to. I'd almost given up on the small shiny disc in favour of vinyl. My resurgence of interest in vinyl started about 3 years ago and most of my favourite music is now (back) on vinyl in upgraded remastered sound. As a result of this I'd almost stopped listening to my extant CD collection altogether. However this player just makes me want to pop all my CD's into that narrow post-slot and sit back and enjoy music I haven't wanted to hear for years.

I think I might agree that buying this should probably prevent me from ever wondering what I might''ve missed elsewhere.

Has anyone got an idea why there are so few reviews / comparisons anywhere, online or otherwise? The player is still in production evidently although there are few retail outlets in the UK for it. I'm amazed that this CDP is only $2500 in the States, that's equivalent to just £1500! At that price, it'd simply melt the competition over here. Why is it nearly double the price in the UK compared to elsewhere though? It makes shopping online very tempting. I note there is a "new" example for sale in Hong Kong currently on eBay. Why haven't any of the 7 watchers snapped it up for just $1980?!!

I think the resurgence of interest in records, er, vinyl, plus the streaming trend has meant CD players are now of less interest. I agree this model is bit of a sleeper, in the eyes of most, and to some extent Krell has changed since Dan D'agostino left.

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I now know why it isn't reviewed / advertised / offered for sale anywhere! It is discontinued, according to a local dealer, because "customers don't want to buy CD players anymore". I'm not buying that argument: if it was true why is Krell still producing the mega expensive (£10,000) Evolution range including its CDP?

I've got an opportunity to purchase one of the last remaining DVD versions of the 350 - it is the same identical CD player but with the added bonus of reproducing pictures as well as sound. I can testify to the claim that the DVD works "without compromise to the CD sound quality" as the unit I have on loan which is the standard audio only version "CD" player, actually already has a DVD drive transport and can already decode DVD's through its audio stages. Slipping in a DVD film enables me to access the menu and play the film soundtrack through my system! An extra £2000 simply buys the VIDEO data retrieval / encoding / output. Luckily I am getting the upgraded full DVD specification for the same price as the stand-alone audio version. Very nice!

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Is that the $9200 player? If so, yes, it is WELL above my budget as it is likely to cost around £9000 here. In the UK everything audiophile is priced at exactly the same amount in Sterling as it would be in Dollars! International exchange rates do not appear to interfere with the more important "currency" and "value" of hi-end audio! |(

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi steve,

In my long search for a CDP a couple of years ago, I demoed the Krell SACD 505 retailing at about 5K and was very impressed. However, after listening to the EMC1UP, which admittedly is slightly above your budget, I immediately new I'd found the last player I would ever need.

If you can, I urge you to try and get a home demo... Audio Destination in Devon would gladly send you one to try.

Mac

www.macsmusicblogbubble.net

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
steve4232 said:
Is that the $9200 player? If so, yes, it is WELL above my budget as it is likely to cost around £9000 here. In the UK everything audiophile is priced at exactly the same amount in Sterling as it would be in Dollars! International exchange rates do not appear to interfere with the more important "currency" and "value" of hi-end audio! |(

Good grief! I knew that non-UK made hifi is expensive in the UK , but this is ridiculous!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts