Any recommendations for downloading from the Linn Records website?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok. As I am listening to my PC through DAC and headphones very much at the moment, I'm gonna check out the quality of the Linn Studio downloads. Now has anyone tried these? And are there any recommendations you can pass on?

I am not worried about the genre (I guess it is mostly classical), although I don't go for the baroque stuff, and I would like to keep away from opera. My classical leanings are more to classical piano, and guitar.

Ho hum.

(I have tried the NIN - The slip and it sounds great, but would like something a little softer)

John Duncan

fr0g:Ok. As I am listening to my PC through DAC and headphones very much at the moment, I'm gonna check out the quality of the Linn Studio downloads. Now has anyone tried these? And are there any recommendations you can pass on?

I am not worried about the genre (I guess it is mostly classical), although I don't go for the baroque stuff, and I would like to keep away from opera. My classical leanings are more to classical piano, and guitar.

Ho hum.

(I have tried the NIN - The slip and it sounds great, but would like something a little softer)

Is this the first 24/96 stuff you;ve tried fr0g? Report please.......

Oh by the way, none taken.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:fr0g:Ok. As I am listening to my PC through DAC and headphones very much at the moment, I'm gonna check out the quality of the Linn Studio downloads. Now has anyone tried these? And are there any recommendations you can pass on?

Ho hum.

Is this the first 24/96 stuff you;ve tried fr0g? Report please.......

Oh by the way, none taken.

;)
Yes, it's the first I have listened to at that quality on the PC (and it does sound excellent). I really need to download the standard CD quality too, and see if I can tell them apart.
But for me I find that this type of (although enjoyable) electronic, hard music doesn't benefit from increases in quality as some stuff. I love all types of music, but find that acoustic, classical, vocal, and music with more realistic separation benefit more from higher definition. And by that I don't just mean sample rates, but improved components etc.
For instance... My copy of Slayers excellent South of Heaven sounds the same to me on decent MP3, as it does on FLAC, whereas REM's Automatic for the people really benefits the increase in quality.

John Duncan

fr0g:And by that I don't just mean sample rates, but improved components etc.
For instance... My copy of Slayers excellent South of Heaven sounds the same to me on decent MP3, as it does on FLAC, whereas REM's Automatic for the people really benefits the increase in quality.

I hear you. Sometimes I think it would be useful to have two systems - one that's actually not that good to bring out the best in rock, early 70s production, etc etc and another which is real hifi for music that suits it.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I have just that - a basic Dual 505/2 / Rotel RA820A / Eltax floorstanders system in my dining room, which I use to listen to vinyl which isn't in brilliant condition, but which I can't find easily elsewhere.

My main system sounds far better with well-recorded items...

A

Anonymous

frOg - try some Martin Taylor (jazz guitar)! He's played with Stephane Grapelli many times in the past - try Reunion if this sounds interesting. There's a 'Gold' Martin Taylor compliation too.

Very recommended from me!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bloney:frOg - try some Martin Taylor (jazz guitar)! He's played with Stephane Grapelli many times in the past - try Reunion if this sounds interesting. There's a 'Gold' Martin Taylor compliation too.

Sounds good!

But my current wish is to try higher than CD standard... :) (However the recommendation is noted... ;) - I am stretching my wings at the moment.)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok, currently downloading
Shostakovich Symphony No. 11 (Royal Scottish National Orchestra (RSNO))

btw , Chebby, thanks for the other recommendation. Sounds interesting, but the choral stuff isn't really for me at the moment.

To be honest, when I posted the request, I didnt realize I could preview... I am really looking forward to listening to this.

Could do with a faster connection mind. Getting around 400 Kb/s download speed.

A

Anonymous

fr0g:bloney:frOg - try some Martin Taylor (jazz guitar)! He's played with Stephane Grapelli many times in the past - try Reunion if this sounds interesting. There's a 'Gold' Martin Taylor compliation too.

Sounds good!

But my current wish is to try higher than CD standard... :) (However the recommendation is noted... ;) - I am stretching my wings at the moment.)

Yeah, sorry frOg - your post prompted me to go and download a studio master of one of the tracks I have as CD quality WMA to compare but also found they're not available as studio master downloads. Aah well - it's good stuff anyway - 'Reunion' isn't what I'd expect to like but the feeling Stephane Grapelli puts into the violin was an eye-opener for me and Martin Taylor plays amazing guitar.

Lo-Fi Pavement at the moment though - must go to bed soon....

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Short update.

The music I downloaded (Shostakovich Symphony No. 11 (Royal Scottish National Orchestra (RSNO))
) is an excellent piece of music (extremely emotional)
The quality from the Linn Website is superb, although I cannot tell the difference between 96 Khz and 48 Khz so far.

This may not be true when played back through more esoteric equipment.
I am using a Windows XP machine, taking the sound from a Roland Edirol UA 1EX external soundcard, and sending the digital signal through a Beresford DAC, and then into Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

I shall have to try the file through my main system, but that's gonna wait for now (The 24/96 doesnt work on my Vista laptop, and my desktop PC is in another room to my Hifi.

Either way... Excellent quality, but unless I can hear an advantage with the 24/96 track, buying the CD, or CD quality download would be a better bet... (The high res download is expensive at 27 euros)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts