Any news on new Humax Foxsat HDR 2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking of ditching Sky due to the rising costs and the fact that most of the channels that I tend to watch are ftv / fta.

I'm really interested in the Humax Foxsat HDR but I'm willing to wait for the new upgraded version of this box, I thought it was meant to be released around "now" but as yet there seems to be no news.

Does anyone know of a possible release date ? I really want to cancel my sky subs but not until I have a new pvr to replace it.

Thanks for any info.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply ! I don't know if I can wait that long, might just opt for the original Foxsat Hdr.

Do you know if the upgrades are going to be major or just minor things such as slimmer box, bigger Hard drive etc ?

I just don't want to buy now and then be really disappointed that I didn't wait 6 months.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare.

Thats fine for Freeview but What about FreeSat?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Again, if we get any news we'll bring it to you! We're not hiding it in a special Freesat cupboard or anything
emotion-5.gif

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
The Humax Foxsat forum has been down for some time now, but from what I remember (therefore subject to human error in recall) what the tabloids would call "sources close to Humax" there suggested that the HDR2 was being redesigned to take advantage of newer chipsets/Project Canvas, and that it might be as late as 2012.

Certainly Humax can afford the delay; although the existing model could be improved on, no competitor has done so two years after release, there have been no major firmware bugs outstanding since late 2009 (iPlayer was added early 2010), and it can be picked up for a lot less than the original £300.

If the OP needs an interim solution, it used to be possible to get a fta-only viewing card from Sky pretty cheaply, under the name "Freesat from Sky", although I don't think it's an exact channel match or uses the true Freesat EPG. Is that still available?

daveh75

daveloc:
Certainly Humax can afford the delay; although the existing model could be improved on, no competitor has done so two years after release, there have been no major firmware bugs outstanding since late 2009 (iPlayer was added early 2010), and it can be picked up for a lot less than the original £300.

The Humax Foxsat HDR as been improved on - Albeit with an unofficial f/w mod, developed by a couple of hummy users, that enables telnet/FTP and installs Twonky, so the HDR can now be used as fully fledged media/file/DLNA server...

If the OP needs an interim solution, it used to be possible to get a fta-only viewing card from Sky pretty cheaply, under the name "Freesat from Sky", although I don't think it's an exact channel match or uses the true Freesat EPG. Is that still available?

You don't need a FSFS card for the Free To Air channels. All an FSFS adds is the handfull of Free to View channels (free but encrypted) that are available on Sky, such as Five, Fiver, Five US and their +1s, Viva, LFC TV and with an HD box C4 HD and Five HD.

Also, an ex-subscription card will revert to/act as a FSFS card, so need to spend £25 on FSFS card providing the ex-sub card is a current white one.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Since my last post there has been a report on several websites, apparently originating at pocket-lint, to the effect that YouView (as Project Canvas has been renamed) has been delayed to around February 2012.

While this doesn't *have* to affect the release of piece of hardware that can be upgraded over the air as appropriate, I'd still expect any effect is does have on the HDR2 schedule will be "later" rather than "sooner".

A

Anonymous

Any idea if the internet tv portal on either the freeview HD box or freesat HD box will be able to connect to the net wirelessly? I have a Sony blu ray player and was going to buy the wireless adaptor but it is expensive at 60 quid and as i am likely to be buying the freesat box or the freeview box soon, there is not much point in buying the sony adaptor if i can get the same content through either humax wirelessly anyway. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts