Any free MQA sample download?

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My Node 2 is supposedly able to play MQA files and I am curious to compare the MQA sound to ordinary FLAC files I am currently playing. I found a few sources that offer a free download of MQA files but they all ask you to register and provide your e mail address and I would rather avoid that.

Are you aware of any source of sample MQA music without mandatory registration?

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Insider9 thank you very much! Much better than I was hoping for!

I like my Node 2 very, very much. I am also using optical in and use my Oppo as a transport only for noticeable sound improvement. I am even considering moving to Powernode as a one box solution. Unfortunately I was unable to find any in depth review of it.

Thank you again!

TempWhatHifiName121

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
How do you find the Node 2 compared with your D 3020? I tried the Powernode and found it the same dull Nad sound, different to the D 3020. I was after a bigger, more detailed version of the D 3020.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html? has some MQA downloads btw. Interesting site to make comparisons.

insider9

ivavcr said:
Insider9 thank you very much! Much better than I was hoping for!

I like my Node 2 very, very much. I am also using optical in and use my Oppo as a transport only for noticeable sound improvement. I am even considering moving to Powernode as a one box solution. Unfortunately I was unable to find any in depth review of it.

Thank you again!

No problem. If I were you I'd stay with Node 2 and change the amp for something Class AB perhaps. With a good streamer you can easily go for something second hand without a built in dac.

You've got interesting speakers. What I found that ribbons don't usually sound best with Class D amplification which as a rule of thumb is somewhat dry in treble. Not just that but your speakers are rated at 5 ohms which only says that they'd ideally need better amplification.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I am afraid that I can not compare the Node 2 to D3020 because I am playing the Node 2 through the D3020.

I never had a chance to hear Powernode 2 but I am finding the sound of the D3020 very detailed and balanced. I am talking about its analogue inputs . Digital inputs of the D3020 are not that impressive.

Your impression may be a matter of personal preference or personal taste. I noticed a significant improvement in SQ when I moved to my current speakers and that could be a big part of my overall satisfaction.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I initially heard my speakers through Cambridge Audio Minx and they sounded very nice. What made me buy them was how they sounded with Primare I32. If I am not mistaken Primare is also some type of Class D or some sort of a hybrid. I am not implying that the D3020 and I32 belong to the same class!

LX 16 are by no means bass heavy, I believe that -3db is @ 60Hz , but they never sound dry or harsh. They are extremely fast and detailed but never fatiguing.

They would definitely benefit from better amp but my listening room is fairly small and I never put too much load on the amp due to relatively low listening levels. What makes the workload for the amp even lower is the fact that everything under 80Hz is sent to the active sub.

insider9

ivavcr said:
I initially heard my speakers through Cambridge Audio Minx and they sounded very nice. What made me buy them was how they sounded with Primare I32. If I am not mistaken Primare is also some type of Class D or some sort of a hybrid. I am not implying that the D3020 and I32 belong to the same class!

LX 16 are by no means bass heavy, I believe that -3db is @ 60Hz , but they never sound dry or harsh. They are extremely fast and detailed but never fatiguing.

They would definitely benefit from better amp but my listening room is fairly small and I never put too much load on the amp due to relatively low listening levels. What makes the workload for the amp even lower is the fact that everything under 80Hz is sent to the active sub.
That's good to hear. And yes I can believe I32 is a great performer although not heard it but own/owned other Primare amps.

I was mainly trying to discourage you from buying Powernode and not to criticise your system. Should you wish to "upgrade" and with already a good streamer I'd suggest a second hand amp. They're wonderful value and shouldn't cost more than your Nad.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I am getting old and confused! Someone else in another thread has I32 in his signature so I mixed that part up!

No worries, I really did not feel that you were criticizing my system and I really appreciate any informed opinion.

Last night I finally had a chance to get to the site with MQA music. I was using my PC and headphones to listen to the music because there was no option to download the files (or I did not find it). Is there a way to hear it on my system using my Node 2?

Canadian second hand market is very limited and and Hi Fi is definitely not a main stream. Most people are happy with their phones...

Thank you again for your suggestions.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to do exactly that. When I click on the link you provided, that brings me to the page where all the files in different codecs are a live links. When I click any of the links that immediately starts some kind of a player having pase/play button and volume control. I was unable to find any other control that would allow me to download a file. Clicking right or left button on the mouse does not do a thing.

insider9

I've only listened to mqa into a non MQA dac with Tidal app doing an unfold and liked it a lot. Considered buying Bluesound Node 2 a number of times but now with dsp I wouldn't be able to get mqa anyway.

Enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts