Any EX Onkyo 905 owners out there?

Paul.

I was actually suprised how similar the tone of the 805 and SR7007 were with movies, it only seems to be on some of the music profiles that things warm up a bit with the 7007. I havent noticed any lack of bass, although my room is not large enough to challenge either amp.

The midrange is a lot more satisfying with the 7007, the bass integrates with the mid much better than I could get out of the 805. I would imagine the SR7008 would be even better as it has audyssey sub eq on it.

T

the record spot

See if you can still find an Onkyo TX-NR818. Terrific amp and great with music too.

T

the record spot

Ah not to worry. Keep your eyes peeled though. The odd one will crop up.

bcolgan

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have the TX-NR905, which I assume is what you're referring to.

I would never question it's strength of amplification but I certainly questioned it's online finctionality and it's DSP's/Decoders.

Running a Kef THX Reference 7.2 system in the main room and Boston Outdoors on the patio. Stereo only on the patio.

In the main room, I could change to any of the surround modes and would hear little to absolutely no difference in tone/surround effects, with the single exception being Multi Channel Stereo but that's practically a given.

Previous to that, I had a Marantz SR4300 and then a SR5500, in a different house but with same speakers. There was a noticeable difference in sound when I switched surround formats/DSP's every time and it was also a very competent performer with music.

Being honest, I've been itching to get back to a Marantz almost from the time I bought the Onkyo but I couldn't resist the feature list and power rating of it at the time, considering my 4Ohm speakers and the price it was going for.

I have recently swapped it out for a Denon AVR-X4000 and am quite delighted with the new model.

It's quite a bit lighter and a little shorter than the 905, though I certainly wouldn't consider it lightweight.

The sound is a little higher in the treble and, with Audyssey engaged, much lighter in the bass. However once I disengage Audyssey, I have almost all my bass returned and can tweak the subs to make it deliver more but have not felt the need.

When I change the Surround/DSP, there is a palpable difference in the room.

The stereo on the patio could do with a little more bass but I am only fine tuning that as the weather improves.

The network functions of Media Server and Internet radio are brilliant, especially noticeable being the difference when stepping up from MP3 to FLAC/High Bitrate radio stations.

I believe the Denon X4000 is very similar to the Marantz SR7007 mentioned above.

If you're into movies, go for the Denon but if you're into music, then the Marantz will probably suit more.

Or if you want another NR905, I'll be selling mine for €600 shortly ;)

Barry.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Barry,

Bearing your 4Ohms speakers in mind, which Marantz AVR are you considering? I was led to believe that Marantz weren't too 4Ohm friendly and perfered 6Ohms and above. Am I mistaken?

OP, sorry to divert your thread a little.

Regards, TnA200

bcolgan

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi TnA200,

Just this weekend, the Denon turned itself off.

Now this was after it had been running for over 6hrs in confined space with Freesat recorder under it and PC runnning just over it, so not ideal conditions.

Hoping to have dedicated AV furniture soon and it will have it's own section with 1mtr clearance and probably fan.

I had written to Marantz/Kef before and they told me that they used each others equipment for testing purposes and never had an issue with the 4Ohm loads. I was looking at the SR7007 this time.

If you can get dealer confirmation and 5yr warranty like I did with Richer Sounds, then worth a punt I'd say.

Regards,

Barry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts