Any chance of a review of current Musical Fidelity products?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking especially of the M6 series, integrated, CD and pre power, all of which look very competitive and exciting. A quick search showed you haven't looked at much of the current range, which seems more stable than in the past.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not strictly true: we do both buy and borrow kit from dealers if manufacturers won't provide review samples of key products.

But we tend to save up our budget (and dealer goodwill) for products of the greatest consumer interest (eg the Arcam Blu-ray player we borrowed recently, the various TVs/Blu-ray players we bought last year)

So, unless MF decides to change its mind re submitting products - or a MF dealer cares to lend us kit to listen to - you're unlikely to read any reviews in the near future.

A

Anonymous

chebby:The manufacturer has to submit equipment for it to be reviewed.
Or WHFSAV can buy the item, as I believe they have done in the past. It could also be the case that Musical Fidelity don't think they need the WHFSAV reviews, who knows.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As Clare said, with limited resources for buying review samples, we're fairly unlikely to buy big-ticket items of higher-end audio, which will only be of interest to a relatively small number of readers. That's kinda the facts of the market...

A

Anonymous

Is there anything we as readers can do to influence the decision of Musical Fidelity & Associated Dealers to change their policy?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vinny7:Is there anything we as readers can do to influence the decision of Musical Fidelity & Associated Dealers to change their policy?

Visit an MF dealer and arrange for a demo. That will be far better than any review.

A

Anonymous

That wont solve the issue of trying to get more MF products in the magazine....

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Not strictly true: we do both buy and borrow kit from dealers if manufacturers won't provide review samples of key products.

But we tend to save up our budget (and dealer goodwill) for products of the greatest consumer interest (eg the Arcam Blu-ray player we borrowed recently, the various TVs/Blu-ray players we bought last year)

So, unless MF decides to change its mind re submitting products - or a MF dealer cares to lend us kit to listen to - you're unlikely to read any reviews in the near future.

Out of interest,what happens to the kit you buy? Does it end up on a certain auction site?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:We've sold kit on both eBay and Amazon marketplace. Sometimes we sell it off to colleagues on other magazines before it gets that far.

Maybe if you got everthing online you could review it then send it back under the DSR :)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
jerry klinger:I was thinking especially of the M6 series, integrated, CD and pre power, all of which look very competitive and exciting. A quick search showed you haven't looked at much of the current range, which seems more stable than in the past.

Jerry, the reviews can be found from independent reviewers and other magazines. Just google it. Even better if you can demo them as well.

Sorry WHF team for promoting other sources. Just helping out another MF enthusiast.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:Is there anything we as readers can do to influence the decision of Musical Fidelity & Associated Dealers to change their policy?

universal-frankenstein-angry-mob.jpg

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

universal-frankenstein-angry-mob.jpg

Looks like Cairo to me :)

A

Anonymous

Two points:

1) Musical Fidelity obviously feel they don't need to submit their products for review in WHFSAV since, quite possibly as has been implied earlier, it's not the right market for them.

2) What difference would it make anyway? Does a piece of equipment sound better because it has been reviewed in WHFSAV?

A

Anonymous

To me, if someone doesn't supply a piece of kit then they are scared of the bad potential review which will impact sales.

It does have a dintinctive 'house sound'. I've had Musical Fidelity kit and liked the A3.5 integrated amp, but not the X-Can.

They seem to supersede kit quickly, make ridiculous claims about power requirements then make low power items themselves! They also dump some kit to dealers at very low prices if it's not moving on. The A5 DAB tuner springs to mind.

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:To me, if someone doesn't supply a piece of kit then they are scared of the bad potential review which will impact sales.It does have a sintinctive 'house sound'. I've had Musical Fidelity kit and liked the A3.5 integrated amp, but not the X-Can. They seem to supercede kit quickly, make ridiculous claims about power requirements then make low power items themselves! They also dump some kit to dealers at very low prices if it's not moving on. The A5 DAB tuner springs to mind.Tosh! WHFSAV appeals to a certain market. If you're not in that market, it's a waste of time having your products reviewed there. Musical Fidelity is reviewed in plenty of other journals. It really is no big deal.

Musical Fidelity, by the way, aren't the only company which doesn't submit equipment for review in WHSAV. You'll also find that most only submit a small portion of their product range for review, and that tends to be towards the budget end rather than the high.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:Tosh! WHFSAV appeals to a certain market. If you're not in that market, it's a waste of time having your products reviewed there. Musical Fidelity is reviewed in plenty of other journals. It really is no big deal.
Musical Fidelity, by the way, aren't the only company which doesn't submit equipment for review in WHSAV. You'll also find that most only submit a small portion of their product range for review, and that tends to be towards the budget end rather than the high.

Sorry but I don't like your tone. A bit too strong for my liking on what is a generally friendly forum. I am entitled to my opinion and stick by it. An apology would be nice.
emotion-1.gif

If it is the high-end kit they don't release for review, it's because of rapid diminishing returns. I've had mid-range and am much happier with my modest setup since moving house. Cyrus (2 machines and multiple returns), ATC et al. out of the window!

A

Anonymous

Their message about power requirements is quite right if measured tests are anything to go by. But then engineering doesn't matter in hifi does it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash:You'll also find that most only submit a small portion of their product range for review, and that tends to be towards the budget end rather than the high.

Thank you for that insight. Entirely wrong, of course - but thanks anyway...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Grottyash:You'll also find that most only submit a small portion of their product range for review, and that tends to be towards the budget end rather than the high.

emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Seems to be an awful lot of guessing going on.

I would find it interesting to see those people supposedly 'in the know' about Musical Fidelity's motives (for not submitting review samples) provide something more substantial.

So, is anyone here an MF dealer or employee? Or an employee for a magazine that does review MF?

If not, then how do you know all this?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Their message about power requirements is quite right if measured tests are anything to go by. But then engineering doesn't matter in hifi does it.

Which measured tests - of Musical Fidelity equipment - gave rise to your conclusion?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

No, pretty much spot on. Marantz top amplifiers? Krell? McIntosh - the list goes on

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts