Any Advice? Complete new system - £2k(ish) budget.......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, pretty new to all this. Just read the latest issue..... I'm just in the process of having a decent size conservatory built (approx 6x4metres), which just so happens to have a full wall at one end!! Part of the negotiations with my better half has got me the green light for a nice 42" screen, sky hd and dvd player etc.

So I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Panasonic TH42PX70B screen (£750).

I initially started looking at 'Home Cinema in a Box' - but swayed towards seperates after reading up. I really like the look of the Tannoy Arena 5.1 Speakers (£775 + stands/brackets), which seem to get decent reviews - these also pass the other half test.

Which pretty much leaves me to sort a dvd player and amp/receiver for approx £500, I was thinking of the Denon AVR-1507 with the Denon DVD-1930. I like the idea of adding the iPod dock and been able to control the iPod and view the info on the TV screen.

I'll also be getting Sky HD and maybe something like a Logitech Harmony remote.

I really have no experience in any of this, so any comments would be greatly appreciated! Especially if you think I am way off the mark!! I wasn't sure if the AVR1507 would be enough to drive the Tannoys?

I will only have the TV and speakers visible, everything else will be hidden... But the electrician and plaster are due to start work soon, so I need to get my finger out!!

Thanks in advance.

Steven.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Steven

Well, you seem to have done your homework! The Panasonic screen is an excellent choice, no argument there, and given your budget, the Denon DVD-1930 with the AVR-1507 is a great combination. Denon is about to phase those two models out, so you might get a good deal on them. (The DVD-1930 is about to be replaced by the DVD-1940).

As for speakers, the Tannoy Arenas are, as we said at the time, "blisteringly effective and fearsomely competitive". The only other speaker package you might want to consider is the B&W MT-20s at £975. Either way, you're certainly not way off the mark!

My only concern is that if you're installing the system in a conservatory, you're going to have an awful lot of light coming in, especially if viewing the screen in daylight. Have you thought about blinds?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy, many thanks for the reply.

Yes, blinds all round are definately coming!

My current setup comprises of the Sony DAVS550 all in one system, so I'm assuming that there will be a significant improvement in sound quality.

Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs have entered the equation - granted they don't look as good - any thoughts?

Thanks again for your advice!

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="steven1976"]I really like the look of the Tannoy Arena 5.1 Speakers (£775 + stands/brackets), which seem to get decent reviews - these also pass the other half test.[/quote]

I agree that these look nice - they sound great too! I was thinking of getting some until I found out how expensive the brackets are - ouch! You might like to consider the Acoustic Energy Aego-T 5.1 system, available online for £599 including wall brackets. I've not heard them - but What HiFi liked them enough to give them an award. The other systems they've given good reviews to and that I have heard, I've liked very much so I trust their judgement on this.

Oh, and I can definitely recommend a Harmony remote. But be warned: you must be prepared to spend at least one whole weekend getting it working just right - but the effort is well worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts