Another ISOLDA Cable for Thaiman

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Thaiman- There is another cable on ebay. The only thing is (from the picture) it looks a bit worse for wear.It may be alright but you have to watch for kinks and creases in the ribbon like cable.The copper is quite soft.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160239284510&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thx mate

The last pair went for over £200, and as I only will need 4 metre I could have buy a brand new set (£50/metre)

I will keep an eyes on this one though.
emotion-21.gif

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
Thx mate

The last pair went for over £200, and as I only will need 4 metre I could have buy a brand new set (£50/metre)

I will keep an eyes on this one though.
emotion-21.gif

[/quote]

Thats £50 per mono meter plus £200 for termination which includes the inductor network/RF filter. The values of which are goverened by the length of cable being used.

4m (2 stereo m) + termination = £400

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]4m (2 stereo m) + termination = £400 [/quote]

for the price I could have the almighty "TCI king cobra" and still have enough cash left for meal for two at Delia Smith's restaurant.

I could terminate them myself (sill have silver soldering kit left from moding Marantz
emotion-11.gif
) and save 200 notes. How much did you won your for Ant?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I could terminate them myself (sill have silver soldering kit left from moding Marantz
emotion-11.gif
) and save 200 notes. How much did you won your for Ant?[/quote]

Unfortunately its not that simple.Isolda is like an unfolded capacitor.The capacitance is high enough to cause some amps to become unstable. To prevent this happening, Max Townshend has fitted an inductor. This inductor has to be of the right value to balance this capacitance. The longer the cable, the larger the capacitance,the bigger the inductor. I have read of some horror stories of people who have reduced the length without modifying the inductor, the end result being the cable sounding horrible.

Alpha-Core make a very similar family of cables called Goertz..These also require a network to compensates for the high capacitance.

I got my fist pair for about £220 and the second for £250. I have seen 2.5m cables go for £300+ on ebay!

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
The cable finally went for £147.98 which is quite cheep by ebay standards. I am not that surprised as the picture showed the delicate cable to be a bit worse for ware,this may have put people off.

TRENDING THREADS