Another Airport Express question.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Does the AE stream music from iTunes at ALAC sample rate or does in down sample it when using the optical out? I'm sure i read somewhere (could of been here) that it streams at WAV rates, is this true? If so which WAV rate, there are so many.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
AFAIK the AE is limited to cd quality sample rates i.e. 44.1Khz/16bit so if your ALAC files are cd rips it should be ok.If you want to stream high res music then another solution is required.In fact I posted asking about this a while ago and the answer would seem to be that a streamer capable of handling 24 bit files is needed such as the Squeezebox.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi basshound or anyone else who cares to answer,

Interesting post as I am too a new A A Express owner and trying to get the best out of it too.

On this basis, including the fact that I am up to now an old school cd owning rip to iTunes guy ( in other words I dont download from iTunes ). What is the best ripping format straight from cd to set up my preferences to ???

Lossless ? etc ... etc .... Please spell it out to me as confused ?

A

Anonymous

psurquhart:

Interesting post as I am too a new A A Express owner and trying to get the best out of it too.

On this basis, including the fact that I am up to now an old school cd owning rip to iTunes guy ( in other words I dont download from iTunes ). What is the best ripping format straight from cd to set up my preferences to ???

ALAC.

iMark

Agreed. But I recommend to rip with error correction on for best results. It takes a bit longer but if you rip your CD's you might as well do it the best way that iTunes can deliver.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
psurquhart:

Yes,definately would go for lossless and as you`re using iTunes ALAC is the obvious choice,would also agree about turning error correction on,does take longer but is worth it.Once you have your cd`s in lossless you can always make a lossy version for putting onto iPod etc. but can`t do it the other way round. Would also recommend making a back up of (at least) the iTunes music folder in case of HD failure.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
basshound:psurquhart:

Yes,definately would go for lossless and as you`re using iTunes ALAC is the obvious choice,would also agree about turning error correction on,does take longer but is worth it.Once you have your cd`s in lossless you can always make a lossy version for putting onto iPod etc. but can`t do it the other way round. Would also recommend making a back up of (at least) the iTunes music folder in case of HD failure.

emotion-21.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
basshound:AFAIK the AE is limited to cd quality sample rates i.e. 44.1Khz/16bit so if your ALAC files are cd rips it should be ok.If you want to stream high res music then another solution is required.In fact I posted asking about this a while ago and the answer would seem to be that a streamer capable of handling 24 bit files is needed such as the Squeezebox.

Excellent, CD quality is good enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts