Andrew, Clare especially. A word about modding speakers, a la Trev79??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Trevor has given plenty of insight in the possibility of making better of what you already have. His main input to the forum has been on mains conditioning and power supplies. However, what interests me most is the modding of his RS8 speakers. He claims that they now sound as good as £6k speakers. Andrew, Clare or other staff, please would you comment please on the practicality of doing such mods (clarity cap/crossover upgrades) and what results you would imagine others could gain.

By the way Trev, I'm not doubting you whatsoever. I would just like to hear other people's views.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Perfectly practical assuming you know what you're doing with a soldering iron and the speakers are out of warranty.

But as to the results, no idea - have never heard speakers thus modified.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails: He claims that they now sound as good as £6k speakers.

Which £6k speakers?

There are many speakers at all price points including £6k and we cannot all be familiar with them.

A pair of modern Quad ESLs (the range spans the £6k mark) are probably going to sound completely different to a pair of ATC's or the new Naim Ovators (for instance) at similar prices.

I don't even know if my own speakers sound like £500 or £1000 speakers. What they cost is entirely different to what they sound like and dependent so much on partnering equipment and rooms.

When I modified my DAC it sounded better. I don't know how much better (in cash terms) it sounded and the 'upgrade' it got from being used through a Naim (instead of an Arcam Solo-Mini) was even more profound yet no money was spent on the DAC itself.

Anyway, just out of interest here is a picture of a Rega R3 crossover....

crossover.jpg

What - just out of academic interest - could be changed to make it better?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

Which £6k speakers?

There are many speakers at all price points including £6k and we cannot all be familiar with them.

A pair of modern Quad ESLs (the range spans the £6k mark) are probably going to sound completely different to a pair of ATC's or the new Naim Ovators (for instance) at similar prices.

I don't even know if my own speakers sound like £500 or £1000 speakers. What they cost is entirely different to what they sound like and dependent so much on partnering equipment and rooms.

When I modified my DAC it sounded better. I don't know how much better (in cash terms) it sounded and the 'upgrade' it got from being used through a Naim (instead of an Arcam Solo-Mini) was even more profound yet no money was spent on the DAC itself.

crossover.jpg

As always Chebby, you take things far too literally. When Trevor said that his speakers sound as good as a £6k pair, I'm sure he wasn't implying that he was including every speaker up to an under £6k throughout the whole world! I'm sure he was suggesting that he had listened to a pair of speakers costing £6k and his modded RS8s were up there with the sound quality.

Thanks for the pic though, I now know what it all looks like.

A

Anonymous

Trevor is only suggesting swapping components with others of the same value, so the crossover functions exactly as it did before. Whether this upgrade of component quality will reflect in sound quality is a moot point. Normally you'd modify crossovers to change their characteristics, which has a definite effect on the sound.

You'd really need to look at changing the drivers and cabinet if you wanted to match £6000 speakers, as arguably they have a greater effect on sound quality. The Vance Dickason books, amongst others, cover speaker design in great detail.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

Which £6k speakers?

crossover.jpg

Just for starters you could replace the internal wiring with better quality, ideally the same as you use from your amp.
The company making the speakers is operating to a budget/pricepoint.
By replacing caps, wires and such with better quality items you'll get a purer signal path therefore better sound.
If this wasn't the case then other, pricier speakers that use such components wouldn't sound better.
A box, providing it is well damped and rigid, is a box.

A

Anonymous

Pricier speakers use better drivers and better cabinets. Box construction and design is of major importance - have a look at the books suggested earlier. A crossover with improved components at best can only have a minor effect, and better drivers the biggest, but each is dependent on the other.

In the case of the Rega crossover, which appears a simple design, it would be doubtful if there were anything to be gained by component changes.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
My only experience with modding speakers is a pair of Leak sarnies in which I replaced the x-overs with birds nests of better components and the internal wiring with that old perennial QED sa. I don't believe you'd get the astounding results I got if you did the same to modern speakers but I reckon there'd be some change. Not that said change would necessarily be beneficial, things might get a bit harsh, suck it and see.
Yes it would also be good to use better drivers, easily done.
Boxes would require some carpentry, not as easy or practical for many people as picking up the soldering iron.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts