Ancient Planer 3 running slow...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
gahhhh , :) I have changed the belt, the suspension and replaced the oil with a suitable lube, the motor pulley is not loose and the motor seems to have plenty of go in in it but it is still running slowly and nothing has worked... have I missed anything or is it time to replace the motor.

I would guess the upgraded motor is less hummy when the cartridge gets towards the middle or is this a cartridge issue?

Someone has told me that the Rega had a lifetime guarantee on the motor!! Is this true[H] ha ha, I do hope so :) the receipt may be a bit hard to locate though..

I am getting sick of listening to cds and want my vinyl to sound right again .. I really don't like playing precious records on the clockwork Lenco rumble machine either.. nasty ..

cheers, Steve.

A

Anonymous

I don't mind doing the motor replacement myself :) and am a bit tight fisted to pay for the service but I will phone our local one to get a price, minus the belts etc I have already done of course.. If it is not too much I suppose I could give them the work, but these things are rarely cheap, hence all the semi-dead decent hifi kit that gets binned rather than repaired.

I picked up some Sonabs the other day for nothing just needed some replacement drivers, BC1s same thing, plus decent quality amps and cd players with minor faults. Latest one is a Marantz 2226B [ retro treasure ] just needing the pots cleaning and the corrosion cleaning off the various sockets and connections. Sounds great now, in a retro way..

A

Anonymous

It has gone to the fixers :) expected back early Jan with an upgraded motor, I will find out if my cynical ears notice a sound quality improvement
emotion-40.gif
at least it should play at the correct speed..

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
letsannoytheneighbours:
gahhhh , :) I really don't like playing precious records on the clockwork Lenco rumble machine either.. nasty ..

cheers, Steve.

What model have you got.

Have you ever given a thought towards, or do you know of it even ?, the Lenco Heaven forum. The peeps on there know whats what, plus there is a 'how to' section, which may help in getting your rumbler, as you put it, running better. Well worth a snoop around or register even.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You may know this but when you get the Planar back always spin the platter when you switch on and leave running during a record playing session, don't switch off when turning an LP over or changing one. I never had any problems with the 22years I had mine and I always did this.

A

Anonymous

Hi All!

I`ve just joined this forum as i`ve been out of the Hi Fi scene for a long time.

However! I`ve just received new belts for my original Planar 3 as i decided to get it all up & running again after it sitting idle for some 6 years or so. I placed Fleetwood Macs Tango in the Night on the deck & nowt happened. ***! investigating, i found the drive belt in several perished bits under the Glass platter & further more the motor pulley had dissapeared through the hole as the motor suspension belt had dissintergrated too. I havn`t fitted them yet as i had forgotten that i`d left the platter bearing loose as well because i`d built all the Planar 3 parts into a slab of Green Slate with black onix like grains running through it. I will get pics up & explain it better at somepoint too as it may inspire others to experiment as well. Already i`ve seen some good topics discussed on here and i`m so glad Vinyl is still alive an turning.I hope the motor doesn`t run slow as well after i fix her all up.

Regards to all, Terry 2E0ZTM.

A

Anonymous

The Lenco is a 70, I have a 75 with a wonky tone arm , so might be some cannibalising to be done on this score.. I use it for playing 78s usually which is the best use for it imo
emotion-1.gif

I had one with a Rega arm for a while, wish I hadn't sold it to the monkey now, I think he binned it, ******* Philistine .

A

Anonymous

yeah, I always use this technique, so what happened to yours in the end then, you use past tense...

A

Anonymous

Friedburger:
Hi All!

I`ve just joined this forum as i`ve been out of the Hi Fi scene for a long time.

However! I`ve just received new belts for my original Planar 3 as i decided to get it all up & running again after it sitting idle for some 6 years or so. I placed Fleetwood Macs Tango in the Night on the deck & nowt happened. ***! investigating, i found the drive belt in several perished bits under the Glass platter & further more the motor pulley had dissapeared through the hole as the motor suspension belt had dissintergrated too. I havn`t fitted them yet as i had forgotten that i`d left the platter bearing loose as well because i`d built all the Planar 3 parts into a slab of Green Slate with black onix like grains running through it. I will get pics up & explain it better at somepoint too as it may inspire others to experiment as well. Already i`ve seen some good topics discussed on here and i`m so glad Vinyl is still alive an turning.I hope the motor doesn`t run slow as well after i fix her all up.

Regards to all, Terry 2E0ZTM.

that is pretty funny
emotion-2.gif
most disconcerting to find the motor gone.... My mate found his motor had disappeared from hi VW camper one morning.. but thats another story :)

Look forward to seeing your heavy weight deck..

If the motor runs slow I will be asking questions of the electricity company...

A

Anonymous

Check that there is a ball bearing in the housing. Customers have, in the past, been curious and lifted the hub out of the housing only to loose the ball bearing, not notice it had dropped off the shaft with obvious consequences. The other explanation might be that power supply components, usually a resistor/capacitor on old decks, or two capacitors on later models, have failed. This could leave the motor running with only one half of the a.c. wave, hence slowing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts