Analogue interconnects...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Afternoon all.

I've got my system just about where I want it now, but it seems to lack that last ounce of detail in the treble, and certain tracks get a little 'shouty' in the midrange. This is not generally an issue, and the system still sings beautifully with most of what I throw at it.

Knowing the character of my kit, detail should not be an issue. I feel my QED Qunex 4S interconnects may be letting things down a little- their four-star review many years ago did highlight a 'coarseness' in the treble, so I think it's time to change.

If anyone has any ideas that may smooth things up a bit, in the £100-ish price range, I'd be eager to hear your opinions!

Also if anyone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree then feel free to let me know.
My speaker cable is currently Atlas Silver (first genration, a few years old now), with a view to going for QED Revelation or Atlas Hyper 2 in the near future...

Cheers all!

Jon.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jon,

If it's detailed treble that you're after, give Silver High Breed a go. It's open, airy treble is the brands strong suit. Although, WHF? didn't sing their praises, if you do a search on the forum, you'll see that all of us that own a set are more than happy with both their performance and price.

Here's the site, if you fancy a look:

Click

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With my recent systems I've found QED interconnects to be a little harsh at times as well.

IMO, with your system, I think interconnects to consider would be:

Chord Crimosn
Atlas Equator
Van den Hul - Tha Name
Chord Company Chameleon Silver Plus
Black Rhodium Prelude

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
My preference would be for Kimber either the Tonik @ £75 or Timbre @ £150 1m lengths.

I am bias though as i use Kimber myself but the are a very capable cable.

Russ Andrews has a 60 day home trial offer so if your not totally satisfied they can be returned with no protest. This is one of the reason's i use Kimber.

A

Anonymous

Silver High Breed cables seem to be quite well lit in the treble area but I don't know what one might do to the mids. I would suggest a Chord Chameleon Silver Plus; an excellent allrounder with excellent range and natural sound.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If I were you, I would change the speaker cable.

The Van Damme 2x6.0mm LCOFC Hi-Fi Speaker Cable has been highly recommended in a previous thread, and at £4.45 a metre it should smooth out you system.

I think this will do a better job than changing the interconnect and is much much cheaper (unless you need 25 metres).

A

Anonymous

I would first try some cheap OFC (oxygen free copper) speaker cable before changing the interconnect ... Places like Maplins sell these for very cheap ... or can be bought for very cheap on ebay (does not have to be a well known brand)

Also try moving your speakers further away from the wall (or closer) ... am just guessing, but may sort out the problem cheaply

A

Anonymous

I agree with sonofsun .... never saw his post ... must have been typing mine while he posted

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Bretty - at the price, I reckon the Silver Highbreed products are worth considering. However, don't expect a fair return if you sell them on - few people out there recognise them.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys!

The VD speaker cable sounds worth a punt. I think I'll try and avoid silver cables, as my speakers- though awesome- are prone to a bit of over-exuberance in the treble from time to time. I do like a sharp, detailed sound but they occasionally cross the line into harshness.

I shall fiddle about with positioning during my day orf tomorrow...

Cheers, g'night.

T

the record spot

If you're going down the copper interconnect cable route, then check out these for less than a tenner - ComputerGear AV Pro - 2m pair. Good design and construction (double shielded, copper core single strand, etc.), no difference from a pair of Audioquest Copperhead cables they replaced. I think you can get them online for less than a fiver or direct from the Computergear site. And if you disagree with me, you've spent less than a round of drinks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts