Analog Graphic Equalizer?

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Greetings people

I know that most audiophile purist would see the addition of a graphic equalizer to a Hi-Fi system as an heresy. But I have allways had one of these in all the settings I have owned. I like to control the sound, and adjust it to my personal likings. sadly (for me) these items seems to be in disuse now, and are very hard to find.

I'm looking for a graphic Equalizer of extreme quality, with about 20 (or more) samples per channel, and, if posible, with any kind of bar graphic display, like the vintage models used to have.

Would be really gratefull If you guys could advice me some models.

Many thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
As you correctly anticipated there's no great love for graphic EQ's here, and because they've fallen out of popular culture there isn't a huge choice of new ones being made, unless you look at professional products which I suspect won't have the bling you require or fit visually with the rest of your HiFi. I think you're probably better off scouring the second hand market via eBay and Gumtree for good-condition used ones.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
if you fancy the pro audio, you can get something like this if you wanted :)

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/samson-s-curve-231-graphic-equalizer/6173

31 band - should be enough :)

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Krorghar said:
Greetings people

I know that most audiophile purist would see the addition of a graphic equalizer to a Hi-Fi system as an heresy. But I have allways had one of these in all the settings I have owned. I like to control the sound, and adjust it to my personal likings. sadly (for me) these items seems to be in disuse now, and are very hard to find.

I'm looking for a graphic Equalizer of extreme quality, with about 20 (or more) samples per channel, and, if posible, with any kind of bar graphic display, like the vintage models used to have.

Many thanks

There are enlightened posters on this forum who appreciate that appropriate equalisation applied to a signal can compensate for the significant effects of room interaction and really improve the listening experience. So you are amongst (some) friends here.

As far as I am aware, multi channel analogue graphic equalisers have died out, not because the underlying principal is flawed, it is just far easier, cheaper and better to make the things digital and use digital signal processing techniques to provide the filtering.

I would sugest you start looking for software DSP solutions, you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Ah, I remember the days. Buying a Kenwood GE5020 with cash from a summer job and hooking it up to my system. All those bouncy LEDs and 10 bands per channel. Great times!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Off the top of my head I can't think of any good graphic equalisers which had 20 bands per channel and were aimed at the Hi-Fi market. I think the professional stuff mentioned above would be the only option.

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks guys, certainly this forum rocks, lots of kind helpfull people and the fastest responses *good*

eggontoast said:
Off the top of my head I can't think of any good graphic equalisers which had 20 bands per channel and were aimed at the Hi-Fi market. I think the professional stuff mentioned above would be the only option.

Any another u could remember eggo? even if it has less channels?

@cheeseboy I was looking for something more HI-FI oriented, but I presume they are no longer being made. Does those professional products have enough quality so I dont lose too much sound definition after the equalization?

@andy Software DSP should be the last desperate option for me friend, Im all old schoold and love to touch and mess with actually real sliders, u know what I mean *new_russian*

@Waxy The old days yup, I had the Technics version Of your kenwood. That type of stuff is the one im looking for, but with more bands. Sure the second hand market is the only option?

@Dave Thanks bud, I'll have a look at all that professional equipment, but I'm concerned about the sound quality, Are they good for HI-FI? Maybe I am asking for an impossible here ...

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Krorghar said:
@cheeseboy I was looking for something more HI-FI oriented, but I presume they are no longer being made. Does those professional products have enough quality so I dont lose too much sound definition after the equalization?

@Dave Thanks bud, I'll have a look at all that professional equipment, but I'm concerned about the sound quality, Are they good for HI-FI? Maybe I am asking for an impossible here ...

erm, they're good enough to record the stuff you want to listen to on your hifi. that should give you some indication of the quality ;)

Why would you think they are not quality enough?

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Krorghar said:

erm, they're good enough to record the stuff you want to listen to on your hifi. that should give you some indication of the quality ;)

Why would you think they are not quality enough?

Uhhh possibly because I was mistaken, was asociating "professional" with night clubs, and so. Didn' t know they use that to record in studio. Also a 300€ only piece of equipment, was trigging my alarms on the subject. This is one of those few cases where High quality doesn't mean high price?

Krorghar said:
Greetings people

Many thanks

I love the idea of a graphic equalizer. Would have one anytime, even with my current amp. Not because it lacks but they are great "boys toys". Unfortunately, Mrs. P is a deffo "No more boxes!" person.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Krorghar said:
Uhhh possibly because I was mistaken, was asociating "professional" with night clubs, and so. Didn' t know they use that to record in studio. Also a 300€ only piece of equipment, was trigging my alarms on the subject. This is one of those few cases where High quality doesn't mean high price?

(tongue in cheek) I see the hifi marketing fairies have worked their wonders on you.... (no offence meant btw)

What people refer to as pro-audio covers everything from nightclub pa's to high end studio equipment - the very equipment used to record all the stuff you listen to. It's being used as a catch all but the general rule of thumb is you will get a hell of lot more for your money with pro-audio gear because they are sold to people who know what they are after and generally are not taken in by all the marketing hyperbole and lies that infects (badly imho) the hifi world. (and yes, I use the term lies because the hifi and hifi peripheral manufacturers often get their knuckles wrapped for making unsubstantiated claims)

Usually it's not as pretty, not as heavily marketed and not as heavily hyped, which in turn keeps the price down.

Like with aything audio though, you may have to search to find what you are looking for and what would sit in well with your system and room that's pleasing to your ears. And yes, the way it looks is probably a big factor as well, which puts quite a lot of people off the pro audio stuff.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The bellow is a good GE but in principle I can't recommend to add Graphic Equalizer to Hi Fi system , It's better to invest

in cables , music sources or amplification .

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/processors/q2031b/

davedotco said:
ISAC69 said:
The bellow is a good GE but in principle I can't recommend to add Graphic Equalizer to Hi Fi system , It's better to invest

in cables , music sources or amplification .

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/processors/q2031b/

*biggrin*

In reality, if you are tweaking a system to suit your personal tastes then it isn't really hi-fi.

Oh man, don't hit us with those negative waves. *blum3*

Anyway, a GE should please the ATC bunch, as they're always banging on about studio monitors. Adding a GE is the closest they'll come (aesthetically) to a home studio.

egoBen

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried it myself but I like the looks, more hifi than pro, 10 band only. Silver or black. Should around 200 pounds.

http://www.brik-audio.com/style/frame/templates15/product_detail.asp?lang=2&customer_id=2407&name_id=105199&content_set=color_3&Directory_ID=61076&id=342563

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
egoBen said:
I haven't tried it myself but I like the looks, more hifi than pro, 10 band only. Silver or black. Should around 200 pounds.

http://www.brik-audio.com/style/frame/templates15/product_detail.asp?lan...

Why on earth would you buy a 10 band, ganged stereo equaliser for £200, when you can have this for less than £150.....?

587760_800.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
To the OP: are you buying (or have you bought) the Devialet? (Apologies for being off the pace: I've been away.)

If so, the configurable tone controls and high- and low-pass filters in the Devialet give you quite a lot of potential for creatinbg your own custom frequency curves.

Matt

davedotco said:
egoBen said:

http://www.brik-audio.com/style/frame/templates15/product_detail.asp?lan...

Why on earth would you buy a 10 band, ganged stereo equaliser for £200, when you can have this for less than £150.....?

Most so-called "purists" would say I'm mad but.... the more bands the better IMO. It adds to the drama and what IMHO Hi-fi is all about.

I do not want a pair of speakers that has an amp included.

Hi-fi is about knobs, flashing lights....

If I want absolute realism at a cheap price (and something I can remember for years) I'll get tickets for a small, smokey club and see a couple of live bands.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The GE was common in the 80's but not today . GE use in home Hi Fi system usually degrade the sound and distort

the original recording features

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
The GE was common in the 80's but not today . GE use in home Hi Fi system usually degrade the sound and distort

The current ethos of modern hi-fi in general and this forum in particular, is to buy whatever sounds good to you.

Where's the problem...?

You modify the response of your system by buying expensive cables, why not use an equaliser....?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
ISAC69 said:

The current ethos of modern hi-fi in general and this forum in particular, is to buy whatever sounds good to you.

Where's the problem...?

You modify the response of your system by buying expensive cables, why not use an equaliser....?

Ouch!

080611-tdy-nail-head.grid-6x2.jpg

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Guys please relax *good*

I dont want this thread to become a debate about the convenience or not of including a GE to an HI-FI system. I just want my gear to sound the way I want, I dont really care about if it matchs perfectly the original recording, or the supposed purity and originality of the sound.

Sacrilege!! Heresy!! Burn this guy in the altar of our audiophile temple!! *biggrin* Okay, I admit it, I' m a sinner. But if it sounds better to me, it's what I care for. In fact I have listen to lots of audiophile top grade speakers, Focal, Sonus Faber, Dali, B&W, KEF ... and in the end, the ones that sounded better to my ears where a pair of, theoretically inferior, and much cheaper Boston Acoustics M350, that are sitting right now next to me.

@matt Yup matt I finally got a Devialet 200, that thing sounds and looks astonishingly superb. Nothing I have listened to, sounded that way, and I had to get one. It comes with a bass and trebble adjust, but I'm looking for more sound control that that, If you remember my room was a great problem, and with that kind of control I could tweak the output to actually sound better with all that glass and reflective surfaces. (also I will install some absorbent stuff, and bass traps in strategic areas)

My dealer is going to bring a pink noise generator and a spectrum analyzer to my room, to see what frecuencies are the most problematic, and see if tweaking a little in some bands we can improve the listening experience. A GE is perfect for that.

eggontoast said:
The Marantz EQ551/EQ515 (same unit different feet) is a good place to start.

Vintage wise, Pioneer SG-50/SG-750 or Sansui SE-8X, all are 10 bands.

That Marantz EQ515 Is just the kind of Stuff I'm looking for, many thanks eggo, I presume the only way of getting some of these is in the second hand market? Nothing similar being made nowadays? I would love somethnig with more than just 10 bands and a graphical screen, but that last Is only aesthetical preference, here I got another dilema get a modern professional model with many bands or a vintage model with just 10 and a screen *nea*

Again many thanks guys

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts